WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Rutland Hostel

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I've always found that a puzzle, haven't you? Why did an all powerful God send his "only begotten son" to be tortured and killed on the cross when surely he could have used less cruel ways of deciding who shall go to heaven and escape an eternity of flames.

Weary
    Crucifixion is less cruel than an eternity of flames.

While were on the subject of hostels, what is everyones favorite hostel / least favorite? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I've always found that a puzzle, haven't you?
    no less puzzling than a religion that would use as its principal icon a ghastly form of capital punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    While were on the subject of hostels, what is everyones favorite hostel / least favorite? Why?
    FreeState Hiker Hostel in Maryland. New in 2007, and beautiful. Run by an '06 thru-hiker and his wife. Don't miss it!

While were on the subject of hostels, what is everyones favorite hostel
    any hostel that allows you to tent is a good one. Shaw's was my favorite

Obviously I haven't stayed at every place and a few weren't that great, I had an experience with the 12 tribes place and it was strange, but they weren't exactly jerks or anything.

I have very fond memories of the following places, especially the ones in bold print.

Walasi-Yi, Haven's Budget Inn, Standing Indian Campground, Hike Inn, Standing Bear Farm, Miss Janet's, Kincora, Doyle Hotel, Graymoor Spiritual Life Center, Glencliff Hiker's Welcome, Andover Road House, the little BnB in Caratunk, and Shaw's, off the top of my head.

Shaw's

Least favorite - The Barn , Gorham - stayed less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for all the fine people that I have met

The info on the twelve tribes was posted so that people who are interested in their way of life can ask intelligent questions. This way of life is the only way that some people can cope with their problems. The twelve tribes activly try to recruit people hiking on the trail. They serve breakfest at trail days, help with the Long Trail Festival, Operate a hostel in Rutland and plan to open another Hostel close to the blackburn center, which is close to thier Hillsdale community. If you have been receptive to their message two of them will hike out to meet you on the AT. If you are seriously considering their way of life read my previous posting and ask for the lititure not shown to prospective members without supervision "The Fundimental Teachings" and "The Communicater". Ask to observe their child discipline which is completely legal. Every one has a right to know exactly what they are joining before they commit their time and property to a cause.

Default The Truth About the Twelve Tribes

If you want to know how the truth about the Twelve Tribes from someone who has had 30 years of experience visit the following site:

Yoneq and the Twelve Tribes

The following article gives some insight into the deceptive recruiting practices

Truth in Advertising

The following article gives more details on the other businesses the TT has that produce millions of dollars each year off of slave labor of the members and their children

The Twelve Tribes Money Machine

Default Twelve Tribes and alternatives

Why the huge expansion of this group? Why are there few non-hierarchical Christian fellowship farms out there? Where do you go if you have no addictions, want to serve the Lord and healthy fellowship, without having to give up your life savings to the leaders? It shouldn't be that hard to set up voluntary, quality fellowship groups like existed in the 1800's.

Default 12 Tribes

They have flourished for obvious reasons. There are a lot of intentional communities in the US--but it takes a lot of perseverance and structure to keep them together...

please, more freak show stories...

El Sordo
    Images

Wow- this is very interesting. My brother is actually part of this "cult". And- yes, I do believe it's a cult but I also believe any form of religion is a cult. Another story- anyways, I've visited him in other places and the people are extremely nice and though believe you'd be better off joining them, do not brainwash you to do so- I do believe there's "brainwashing" once you're in but the people can choose to leave whenver they want- my brother actually left for a couple of months but couldn't handle the real world so came back to it. This place is purely a business. They own restaurants, sell soaps, cream, candles, furniture and other stuff. The main people are making millions of dollars and the people in it believe the money goes right back to the community. It is communistic but I believe my brother is better off in there- it's his choice. It is also very sexist since it believes the bible exactly. Not for everyone but everyone I have met in it, are very happy and can leave. I do not agree with it but I also do not agree with several other religions that are harmless to the people so to each it's own. My 2 cents. I don't usually post on here because I feel there are so many people on here that have nothing better to do that critize everything but since I have a little bit of knowledge on this- wanted to share my thoughts.

favorite hostels/ hotels/ campgrounds
    1. Standing Bear
    2. Shaw's
    3. Haven's Budget Inn
    4. White Birches
    5. Green Mountain House
    6. Free State Hiker Hostel
    7. The Doyle
    8. Kincora
    9. Cloud 9
    10. Hiker Inn (Damascus)

Least Favorite
    1. Uncle Johnny's
    2. The Barn
    3. Days Inn Front Royal

Dont have many I didnt like. The one's I didnt like were because of price and conditions. Uncle Johnny's was for personal reasons.
    Standing Bear holds a special place in my heart.

I will have to say that the 12 tribes place in Rutland is awesome. i left them out of my top 10 because of no shuttling and its just really tight there when its busy. Also the whole man woman thing. I undrestand and respect their wishes about the dormitory thing. They were really good to us and I will always have nothing but great things to say about them.

Seems most good hostels are here today gone tomorrow. The good ones that stick around cater to more than just hikers. Shaws has winter sports customers, same with WHL, Ironmasters has cyclists, Dutch Haus & Mountain Harbour (attached B&B), Cloud 9 (RVer's), NOC (rafters), etc.

Point is.....serving hikers cannot be a moneymaking proposition. And yet, we read about too many hikers who feel they get ripped off by service providers.

If you want to do a thruhike on the cheap, plan to camp in the woods.

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

1. Standing Bear
    2. Kincora ( where else can you hear about fwozen hikers on top of woan mountain that needed wescue after a hard days twail work)
    3. Mountain Crossings ( for the mix of friends and atmosphere)

Images

Favorites in no particular order-
    1 Kincora
    2 Blueberry Patch
    3 Sunnybank Inn
    4 Mountain Harbour
    5 Twelve Tribes
    6 White Birches

-Haven's budget inn is nice but not a hostel.
    -Woodstock Station and Inn had an insane hiker discount (still not cheap, $55) and was awsome. Eggs Benedict with filet mignon for breakfast included in room price.
    -Stowell Galleries was nice just because of talking with the owner who is the former mayor and architect for the NPS.

Dumps-
    1 Barn

Sunnybank Inn is not a hostel

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++