WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

About the only one I agree with is wanting a hot beverage. I've never found light to be a problem and I have found that a stove that doesn't burn hot works very well for cooking other foods without burning them to your cookware. I've done steak, omelets, and a few other meals on my alky stove.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I think I'm going to take the jetboil. I may even get the group-cooking system (it's only 3 ounces heavier).

The first time I used it was on a hike in January. I had two normal canisters, and they froze. To boil water I had to warm one on my stomach for a few minutes while the other was used, and then switch. It was 17 F out.

On the next trip I brought jetboil brand "four-season" fuel. It's a little more expensive, but it worked like a champ right down to 0 degrees.

Images

Keep a canister in your sleeping bag if you cook for breakfast. I like the Jetboil becasue it is everything in one package. People say it weighs more but not when you add in their pot, bowl, etc.
    Alcohol stoves are lighter but not as quick and easy. It is just preference. If you like it use it. If you are not cooking of a group you may not want to bother with the group cooking system. Weight and space. Ounces become pounds. If you could make coffee in 3 minutes without even a match or 8 minutes messing with fuel which would you choose. Yeah, you are walking so who is in a hurry, but you also do not go around saying where can I waste some time in camp today. Weight will make camping easier and hiking harder. Find the middle ground.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

I liked them, and saw quite a few people using them and just raving about them this year, but what about clean up, difficult?
    ad astra per aspera

If you cook stuff in it, getting your hands inside can be hard for folks with big hands. Getting burnt stuff off the bottom is the biggest hassle. I usually just boil water for FBC any more, so there's nothing to clean unless I make coffee or hot chocolate in there.

Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by icemanboston
    I like the Jetboil becasue it is everything in one package. People say it weighs more but not when you add in their pot, bowl, etc.
    Alcohol stoves are lighter but not as quick and easy. It is just preference. If you like it use it. If you are not cooking of a group you may not want to bother with the group cooking system. Weight and space. Ounces become pounds. If you could make coffee in 3 minutes without even a match or 8 minutes messing with fuel which would you choose. Yeah, you are walking so who is in a hurry, but you also do not go around saying where can I waste some time in camp today. Weight will make camping easier and hiking harder. Find the middle ground.
    Well said!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by icemanboston
    Keep a canister in your sleeping bag if you cook for breakfast. I like the Jetboil becasue it is everything in one package. People say it weighs more but not when you add in their pot, bowl, etc.
    Well actually you can go lighter than the Jetboil even when you do add those in. But you have to buy the parts seperatly. Just compare the weights of say a 4 ounce pot, 8 ounce canister, 3 ounce stove, 1 ouce lighter, and a 1 ounce pot cozy and you see you are already lighter than the JetBoil with all that in the system at 22 ounces.

JetBoil puts it all in one package, but it is still not the lightest canister stove system out there.

If you want to get the bigger pot, you may have already asked yourself why you want a cup instead of a pot. You are already talking about bumping the weight up to 25 ounces, Why not just get a pot and stove that is the size you want instead of taking a combined system and then try to customize it?

Anyway, it is your choice. You don't have to go the alcohol route to go the lighter way and you don't have to get a JetBoil to have a good canister stove. There are other choices out there, you just ought to make sure you are chosing the right one since it already seems you want to get a canister.

BPL has a good set of side by side testing results.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

As I've said before, if they improved the durability of the thing, it may be ok. Mine broke in two places, and I was careful with the thing, more so than I like to be. I liked mine for bag cooking when I used one. But I like my gear to be survivable, and until we find someone who thrus with a newer one, I would avoid the thing. Coleman Peak one with Ti pot.
    You are in heaven.

Images

My Jet Boil weighs in at 20 oz with a full canister. I talked to a lot of thru-hikers this year that carried them and said no problems. I also saw a Goga-Power on the trail I really liked as well.

I agree the Jet Boils does have some limits and you can go lighter. It is a trade off. Stuff that makes camping easier tends to make hiking harder.

P.S. > I also bought the Jet Boil at 30% off so it was lighter on my wallet.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Like I said, I liked mine for bag cooking. I now enjoy the flexibility of the Coleman with a pot. I can bake in it, boil, fry, steam, etc. The JB gives you two options, bag or boil water. Anything else is a pain in the arse. But to each his one. Just keep an open mind down the road.
    You are in heaven.

www.hikersupply.com

Jet Boil is awesome!!

It has its limitations, but overall it is a great complete cooking system. If you are going to do coffee and 2 hot meals or more a day I highly recommend it.

If you are counting ounces it is hard to beat Etowah II or soda can style stove and titanium pot but if you want a complete package Jet Boil Rocks.

It is espicially good for the early cold foggy weather...

Default jet boil causes death

please dont use or buy jetboils .they have allready been outlawed in 49 states.
    matthewski

I saw several jet boils on my 06 thru hike. Everybody seemed happy with them.
    I used a coleman feather lite white gas stove and loved it too. yeah thats right, all of one whole pound plus 1-2 pounds of white gas. no, i'm not on crack, i'm high on life.
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    please dont use or buy jetboils .they have allready been outlawed in 49 states.
    So, what's the one state that has not outlawed them?

Sounds like BS to me.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We just bought a pocket rocket on sale at REI - we'll use it when there is three of us hiking then convert to the alcohol when there is only two of us (just outside the Smokies).
    Are the canisters readily available or can they be mailed in drops? Esp in New England.
    And does alcohol work okay in the cold or is it better to go with the pocket rocket when its cold - like in the Smokies?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default minnisota

only state..........
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks
    So, what's the one state that has not outlawed them?

Sounds like BS to me.
    Good news is that your BS detector is working. The bad news is that you're taking a troll seriously. Please don't feed the trolls.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker
    Good news is that your BS detector is working. The bad news is that you're taking a troll seriously. Please don't feed the trolls.
    We don't have an ignore troll button, do we?

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lanthar Mandragoran
    We don't have an ignore troll button, do we?
    Yes, you do. In your User control panel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++