WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Thumbs up Just ordered the Potomac Underquilt

I just ordered the Potomac (Kickass!) Underquilt in Camo/Black (of course!), and my wife gave me the "this had better be it for a while" lecture.

I sleep cold, and during my last camping trip I got tired of messing with a pad in my HH for weather that's not even cold. I checked out the Nest and No Sniveler, but my budget just could NOT stretch that far. The Shenandoah quilt wouldn't take me to the lowest temps I would require (around 30-35 degrees, below that I'm staying home), but the price was right.

I'm hoping to be able to go on some fall/winter trips this year. Can't wait to try this underquilt.

PS. I checked out the http://www.kickassquilts.com make it yourself section, but it would cost me much agony and stress to make one, and most likely end up costing me more $$ given the many mistakes I'd make. I truly respect anyone who can make their own stuff.

How do you go about adjusting the underquilt? It seems to me to much slack or too little slack will both create cold spots. Is this just a trail and error type of thing? Seems to be a major pain to get in and out of the hammock everytime just to tweak the underquilt. What am I missing here?

Thanks

Images

Obviously don't know yet, but I would imagine that once you figure out how to get it right, it'll be easier to get it right again the next time.

Once you get it adjusted when you first put it on, it pretty much stays adjusted when you get in and out. You just push the elastic aside and it pops right back into place. Same on the JRB and the KAQ. Pretty easy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    Once you get it adjusted when you first put it on, it pretty much stays adjusted when you get in and out. You just push the elastic aside and it pops right back into place. Same on the JRB and the KAQ. Pretty easy.
    Jeff, (or anyone) is there a way to add duff (or extra clothing, a pad, or etc.) in between a quilt and hammock for extra warmth if temps fall much more than you expected? (would the elastics be strong enough to hold it or would that just create gaps?). I guess you'd be wearing the extra clothing at that point, huh?

Probably better to just wear it, I’d guess. You can put stuff between the underquilt and hammock, but this can cause the underquilt to sag away from the hammock unless it’s very light. So you tighten the underquilt...which compresses the insulation at that point and creates air gaps beside it since whatever you’re putting under there doesn’t fit all the way around the hammock.

I tried putting a sleeping bag and a jacket between my underquilt and hammock, and between the JRB Weather Shield and the hammock, and it didn’t work so well.

There may be ways to make it work, though. I know some folks have tried putting pads between the quilt and hammock...I haven't done that. Seems like it would create air gaps, and would be less efficient than just bringing the pad inside the hammock.

Coonass from Down South jazilla's Avatar
    Images

I ordered mine a few weeks ago in the same colors. My was also skeptical also but I have come to understand she may never get it like I do. Congrats on the purchase. I can't wait to get mine and its not even cold yet.
    "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Images

My wife is skeptical also
    "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Images

Thanks Jeff, I think I'll just wait and see how it all works before I start trying to work anything out beforehand.

I just received notice that my order will take 3-4 weeks. For a hand-made item, that's just fine with me. The wait will allow me to practice the art of having patience.

Jazilla, yours should be here soon then, right? You should post a review once you've gotten it all settled in.

Cheers.

Images

The wait is what's killing me. I was never a good waiter. Luckily my wife is out of town and I have been getting things done around the house so I don't have time to think about it much. Its amazing what I can get done when she isn't there.

Images

Sorry, guys. I'd have written sooner, but I've been sewing

I'm doing all I can to keep up right now, but things are unusally busy at the old "real" job right now, too. I'm cranking along in the wee hours, though, and trying to get the boxes out the door as fast as I can. Don't be afraid to write to spur me on.

I've had to adjust my underquilt only minimally. I usually just set everything a little snug before getting in and that works well. All attachment is elastic, which is pretty forgiving. It's not at all a "ooh, another quarter inch to the right" kind of thing. After you've hung it a couple times and gotten a feel for it, you really won't even think about it. The worst case is that you'll have to get out and tighten or loosen something.

Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick

Thanks Patrick!

Images

Hey Patrick, don't work too hard. I know when I get it I get it. Don't overwork yourself. I have been there working two jobs from 7am to 11 or 12am. It sucks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick
    Oh great. Now I have to make my own instructions?

Thanks Patrick!
    NCPatrick, you got your quilt?

Images

Yes I did! I'm very happy with it. Thanks for asking.

I took it to Lake James State Park for a 2 night trip last weekend. Temps got down to the low 60's, and I slept only under a light fleece blanket. That first night I did get a little bit cold right before dawn, I didn't wear enough layers though (cotton T-shirt, Long camp pants). Of course the first night I couldn't sleep very well due to the rampaging herd of raccoons that caroused my camp most of the night (and stole a bag of peanuts out of my cooler). The second night I wore a long sleeve DriFit shirt, and a fleece vest, and was much warmer. I've been researching the Ray-Way quilts, but cannot sew. Any ideas about how I can get one made?

I had the Potomac set for warm weather, not in cold mode, and I could have cinched it up a little better. Lessons were learned! How about yours, did you get yours yet?

Pictures of my trip, with hammock setup: http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/LakeJamesTrip/

Those are some great pics, NCPatrick! I love lakes in the early morning. Thanks for posting.

NCPatrick - the berries in the photo are false soloman's seal IMO - see http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?...ID=smra_5v.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice
    NCPatrick - the berries in the photo are false soloman's seal IMO - see http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?...ID=smra_5v.jpg
    Thank you. I knew one of you could tell me what that was. I see from this info that the berries are not edible.

General rule of thumb I heard - 90% of black berries are edible, 50% of red berries are edible, 10% of white berries are edible. All aggregate berries are edible - bunch of smaller berries in one cluster, like a blackberry or raspberry.

Not that this has anything to do with an underquilt...

Images

Ok then, back to the underquilt related non-berry discussion questions- Newby type questions, since I'm still learning all this. Get ready to rrrramble.....

I've always assumed that I just sleep cold. I've been trying to sleep with very little gear, because less is best, right? I see reviews from folks that can sleep in much colder temps with seemingly little gear. I'm thinking a Ray-Way type quilt would really help, but would it help at my back, which is where I get coldest?

Generally, without the underquilt I would use in the hammock:
    a blue CCF pad from Target (ugh!)
    Fleece sleeping bag, Target special
    Camping pillow

With the underquilt, I'm trying to:
    lose the pad (gone. Yay),
    lose some of the layering,
    use a single cover (get out of being stuck in a bag),
    Be warm at lower temps.
    Be on average fairly warm, instead of experiencing the extremes.
    Fit more of my gear in my pack. (novice backpacker).

I sleep in a long sleeve, DriFit shirt, a wicking sleeveless shirt layer, and a fleece vest, Long wicking pants (running pants), and socks.

Problem is, temps are just not that cold. I get cool as soon as it gets below 70F. With the underquilt, I can be comfortable down to the lower 60's, but then start getting cool.

Generally I wake up and add layers as it cools outside. Coldest always just before dawn. I start with my sleeping bag zipped all the way up, but folded back on itself. Then as I get cold, I put feet in, then over time pull the bag up and up until I'm completely covered. Hot when I start out, Cold in the early morning. Not a lot of uninterrupted sleep. Fight claustrophobia when there's too much stuff on me.

The underquilt is great, and is keeping me much warmer (and MUCH more comfortable) than the blue pad, when I've adjusted it correctly. Anything just jump out at you that I can try to be warmer? Maybe I just need more time with the underquilt, making those adjustments.

My thoughts are to:
    Lower the tarp, as if for a storm.
    Not use the HH tie-outs
    Rig underquilt for cold weather.
    Ray-Way quilt or JRB Nest (which btw is way too expensive for my leftover budget at the moment, what's up with that? ). I'm thinking of hiring a seamstress to make me a Ray-Way from the kit. It would still be cheaper. I'm not knocking the down quilts, just can't afford one. And I suppose I'm just jealous of those so flush with cash to spend on one .

Jeff, I've read your website many times already on how to stay warm. Great site, btw.

Sorry to ramble on and on. Any help appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++