WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GSMNP AT section question

I have a question on the section southbound in Great Mokies Park from Silers Bald to Spence Field shelter. Just got off the phone with a GSMNP ranger at the reservations desk. He said he thought this was a particularly tough section. It's roughly 12 miles long and i have done all of the southern AT in sections (except this one); I think I've seen tougher sections, based on the profile. Any opinions from those who have hiked it, especially going SOBO? Thanks in advance!

Sky Rider

(walessp)

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

This section is not even close to being as tough as the section from Franklin to Fontana Dam IMO.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

the entire AT through the smokies is relatively easy, with perhaps the section out of lake fontana NOBO and the section out of davenport gap SOBO. the AT just follows the ridgeline through the park. don't listen to the ranger. have a great time..
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default Not to difficult

The ranger must be assuming that you are an inexperienced hiker not familiar with the southern mountains. I don't think the AT through GSMNP is all that difficult except for maybe the NOBO climb out of Fontana. I did Clingmans to Derrick Knob SOBO and Spence to Derrick NOBO. I thought Clingmans to Derrick Knob SOBO was fairly easy. The Spence to Derrick NOBO was moderate.
    MHO
    Rockjock

it's not the toughest stretch in the south by any means. but there are a coupla steep, fairly long climbs between derrick knob and spence field. i think it's the toughest stretch on the a.t. through the park

That section has Thunderhead Mountain in it right? While not extremely difficult, I do remember that section as somewhat tedious. I think there were a few pointless ups and downs and some zig-zagging of the trail. The footing wasn't conducive to speed, we had a slower pace through there. We were NOBO.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

walessp- When are you going to hike? I am going north from Fontana on the 24th of Aug. Taking a nice slow pace of 8 days to standing Bear Farm.
    Have a great Hike Maybe I'll sea ya there.
    Sandy B

Default Hiking GSMNP

To All - thanks for your responses - I do appreciate them.

for Sandi B - I'm planning on hiking from Newfound gap Aug 1

Sky Rider

Images

I agree, cept for the climb out of Fontana, the AT in the smokies is "easy", and the views can be SPECTACULAR!!!!

I say go for it.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

The climb out of Fontana is easy. It's all switchbacks. Nothing tough about it.

Images

the only hard part of the smokies in my opinion is gaining that first elevation when entering once your up there your up there so enjoy the views

Images

Last June I did Derricks SOBO to Mollies and stopped at Spence for a breather. It wasn't the easiest hiking I've ever done but it probably wasn't the worst either. You climb Thunderhead on that hike. The worst part isn't the hike itself it's the state of the trail from the knucklehead horse riders where the horses catch the edge and rip huge chunks from the trail (on top of having to dodge horseapples).
    And tho our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to ramble on...

The only remotely tough feature is that it is uphill as you travel northward, but not as severe as the initial ups at many of the crossings further south.
    Cutman
    GA>ME 2000>2010..... Purist thruhiker in spirit, just with a lotta zeros during townstops;)

Never listen to what anyone says about whether a section is easy or difficult. Even "facts" such as distance to water get distorted out on the trail. Go only by contour/profile maps, distance, and your own experience. Subjective is just that, subjective, and difficulty will vary even on the same section for the same person depending on the weather, what kind of mood you're in, what you had for breakfast, how many bugs there are, etc.

Images

Well, you did mention that you spoke to a Ranger at the reservation DESK. You said you'd already done all of the AT south of here...if so...you've seen much tougher sections. You'll enjoy this section...take your camera and don't forget the lyrics to Rocky Top!

Images

IMO the Thunderhead Mountain area is the toughest section of the GSMNP. It's the one part of the AT through the Park that is not open to horse travel, for the good reason that it's too steep and rocky. But it won't hold any huge surprises for you--having hiked the rest of the AT down here, you've seen this stuff before. There's a little bit of Albert Mtn. action--a few rocks, some steep stuff...but it doesn't last forever.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I hiked from Clingmans Dome to Spence field shelter in one day last fall. If you've hiked the Northen Georgia AT section it will remind you of that. Rangers are always a little cautious when you talk to them. They probably have to be. I bet they get to talk to a lot of idiots.
    I'm Late, I'm Late, I'm Late!!

++ New Posts ++