WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Snow Peak vs MSR

Hi everybody...I'm thinking about downsizing from my Primus pot to a 3-cup size. I'm also considering titanium (**gulp** at the price).

I've been looking around, and I've found some helpful reviews on the MSR Titan at BGT, but none on the Snow Peak. I've seen people talking about both here, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm a recent convert to freezer bag cooking, so I'm not concerned with the lack of nonstick coating on either pot. I did notice that the Snow Peak has measurements on it, while the MSR doesn't. I also noticed that the MSR has a pour spout, while the Snow Peak doesn't. The MSR also seems to be a couple of fluid ounces larger, and a few grams lighter. The MSR also lists for about $10 more....

So - Any thoughts? Personal experience? If I'm gonna spend **gulp again** $30-40 on a tiny little pot, I want it to be the right one!

Thanks!
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Images

I have never owned a piece of titanium cookware for this reason. It is outrageous.

I camped with a friend who had the cookware, and the food stuck in his titanium the same it stuck in mine. I still had to scour out his pot. Doesn't make sense.

I use a CHEAP, simple Walmart grease pot. This way if it gets lost, damaged, burnt etc I don't care.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

I bought an MSR Ti cookset just over a year ago - very happy with it but after being out on the trail and seeing all the Snow Peak users out there I wish I had done a bit more homework. Of my whole cookset, I only use the tea kettle. For the same weight, I could have had a two pot system from Snow Peak. I may sell the MSR set and buy something different - but no decisions yet.

I am however very happy with the weight savings and durability if Ti - I know folks who are on their second or third pot now and I still have the same Ti set.
    So be it.
    --John

I had mixed feelings about my MSR when I used it (I have switched to a JetBoil). I liked the sturdiness and light weight. I did, however, wish that it had measurement markings and that the little lid handle would stay upright. These complaints were minor and I'd probably still be using it if I hadn't discovered the JetBoil.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer
    I had mixed feelings about my MSR when I used it ... I did, however, wish that it had measurement markings...
    ditto - they would be helpful
    Last edited by hikerjohnd; 08-04-2006 at 10:32.
    So be it.
    --John

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte
    I have never owned a piece of titanium cookware for this reason. It is outrageous.

I camped with a friend who had the cookware, and the food stuck in his titanium the same it stuck in mine. I still had to scour out his pot. Doesn't make sense.

I use a CHEAP, simple Walmart grease pot. This way if it gets lost, damaged, burnt etc I don't care.
    I've heard these mentioned a lot - apparently K-mart carries them too. But I looked around for a while at Walmart and couldn't find it. Where are they usually located?

Also, do they come with a lid? Handle? What's the weight/capacity? Just wondering....I'm definitely the guy who'll buy the Wallyworld Special if it'll save $$
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Default Walmart Grease pot

The wally word grease pot is kept in the cooking section near measuring cups and such. It costs $4.76 and has a cover no handle but you can punch two holes and use coat hanger also remove the plastic cover knob and replce with a wing nut. I love mine and wouldn't waste the mony on Ti JMHO

Rock

Images

I've had great experiences with my Vargo Titanium pot.

Images

I looked at one of the two Walmarts here, and no luck on the grease pot. But, I'll try the other one tomorrow, and if no luck there, I'm going back to my hometown this weekend so I can try theirs too.

Question - Will a piece of CCF work for a potgrabber? I'm thinking about the lid from my CCF freezer bag cozy. The lack of a handle on the grease pot bothers me, but I've seen several comments about the handles on the MSR and Snow Peak heating up anyway, I guess it doesn't bother me THAT much.

Images

Love my MSR Ti kettle. It's a cup, it's a pot, it's a kettle, it's a storage unit for my stove/windscreen/cozy hat. I love this little thing. It's light weight & sturdy too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351
    I looked at one of the two Walmarts here, and no luck on the grease pot. But, I'll try the other one tomorrow, and if no luck there, I'm going back to my hometown this weekend so I can try theirs too.

Question - Will a piece of CCF work for a potgrabber? I'm thinking about the lid from my CCF freezer bag cozy. The lack of a handle on the grease pot bothers me, but I've seen several comments about the handles on the MSR and Snow Peak heating up anyway, I guess it doesn't bother me THAT much.
    cruising WB at 4:30am...... oh man, you're an addict now. LOL

Talk to ya soon, bud!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351
    The K-Mart pot has a rolled out lip, which is nice to have.

Yes, but you'll have to grab the pot from top to bottom instead of side to side.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I've been using the SP MiniSolo Ti. Way cool, packs small w/ stove and fuel. Make sure you get a cozy if you don't have one. Freezer bag cooking makes meal times way easy.

Images

Bad news, people - I think Walmart has stopped carrying the grease pots. I've checked at 4 stores now, but that's not why I think they stopped selling them. The reason is, the last two I checked had a sort of ABS plastic box with removable liner bags in lieu of a pot - specifically for grease disposal. Doesn't bode well.

If anybody knows of a place near me (Greensboro, NC) that sells them, please let me know? I've tried Walmart, Kmart, CVS, and Walgreen's.

Images

I love my SP 600 (2+ Cups)... light and bulletproof... I've never regretted buying if for myself one XMas...

I honestly don't think you'll be dissapointed with either the SP or the MSR... or even Vargo if you decide to go that route...

However, I will say that, if I had to do it over again, I might have gone with Mini-solo Ti so I would have a couple pots and a lid... Or maybe the Trek 900 (just the pot) for a bit extra size... (and integral measuring lines)...

Images

No one has mentioned the "I.B" cookset from Brunton yet.
    "I.B." stands for "itty bitty" hard anodized aluminum.

I have SP Ti and 2 different sets of Evernew Ti.
    I have no complaints about any of it.

I like the Brunton as it offers the perfect size for anything I ever cook for myself, the cannister for my Pocket Rocket fits inside...there are lighter sets out there though.

i have the anti gravity gear pot, which is light, solid, and only 12 bucks. when i looked at it closer, it is the same pot as th3 cup pots that come in a mess kit, minus the coatingwith a mess kit you get a bunch of other stuff that comes in handy when car camping

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind
    No one has mentioned the "I.B" cookset from Brunton yet.
    "I.B." stands for "itty bitty" hard anodized aluminum.
    Since he was focused on Ti, I didn't bother mentioning the GSI Hard Andonized Extreme™ Boiler w/Lid

I use the MSR Ti Kettle in the winter when I have a hot drink with my meal and want 3 cups of water. It has a great lid and good handles. I use a snowpeak 600 mug the rest of the year. I LOVE my antigravity 3 cup pot..I do not use it backpacking because I prefer the mug style to drink out of..

Images

Well...I gave up trying to find the legendary grease pot. It's apparently a mythical beast, akin to a unicorn or a minotaur. Anyway.

I bit the price bullet and got the Snow Peak TI 700 (I DID get it on sale, though - $20). I've already cooked in it once, and it worked great! I think it heated water quicker than my aluminum Primus pot, even though that one's black.

One thing I did notice, though, was that when I turned my stove full-on, the flame came up around the sides of the pot. Lot of heat loss there, I think. Not to mention it heats up the handles a lot. I successfully used my CCF cozy lid as a grabber, though. Any solutions to the heat loss? I guess I could just keep the flame lower, but that'll take longer to boil....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++