WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zero Days

Images

Default Zero Days

I haven't seen a lot of discussion about zero days. I understand it all depends on your hike/physcial conditioning/circumstances, etc. when it comes to how many you take, but I once said I thought I might take 1 zero per week and was told that was twice as much as normally taken by the average thru-hiker Is this true?

I'm giving myself 7 months to complete the trail and am in absolutely no hurry. What does everyone think about zero days and how often did you (or do you think you will) take one? By the way, I'm also considering taking zero days actually on the trail...just spending a day in a nice spot resting, instead of going into town to rest.
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

If hikers who've completed the whole trail in one year and keep a journal at trailjournals.com are any indication, the "typical" thru-hiker would spend one zero day for every seven or eight spent hiking (20 zeros on average, 148 hiking days on avareage). Of course, your experience may vary.

Your idea to spend some zero days on the trail instead of in towns is one I've heard some thru-hikers say they would have done more of if they had it to do over again. And it saves a lot of money!

Default every one learns to push on and zero in the woods

the neat trick is to slide thru towns and zero on trail. there are so so many benifits to doing this yet it takes alot of time to sink in.you are having the hike of your life when; you hate town good. real good.real hate. hate the smell, sight, sound and lack of peace.the longer you wait to zero the better. each week is too much. only 6 times on a thru hike , not enough. around 10 to 12 is just right.
    matthewski

Actually when you come right down to it every single one of your days, on the trail or off, is yours and your alone. It is very important to spend them exactly as you and no one else, wants to spend them. After all, they, memories and love, are truly the only things you will ever have. The rest is overhyped BS.

Blue Jay-"Actually when you come right down to it every single one of your days, on the trail or off, is yours and your alone. It is very important to spend them exactly as you and no one else, wants to spend them. After all, they, memories and love, are truly the only things you will ever have. The rest is overhyped BS."
    Gosh, I hate to admit it, and this is pretty scary, but I totally agree with Blue Jay!

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    Gosh, I hate to admit it, and this is pretty scary, but I totally agree with Blue Jay!
    You think that's scary? Warren Doyle said pretty much the same thing....
    Frosty

Frosty:
    Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    You think that's scary? Warren Doyle said pretty much the same thing...."
    You mean WD agrees with Blue Jay as well! Wow, that is scary!

Geezer

You mean WD agrees with Blue Jay as well! Wow, that is scary!
    Okay, so it's you, me, Warren, and Blue Jay. Wonder how Tha Wookie and Jack would chime in? And L. Wolf? Teej? We could be facing Armageddon here!
    Frosty

Gettin Lighter..All the Time!!! Biloxi's Avatar

Default zero

LONE WOLF takes zero days..say it aint so

Holy crap! Me too!
    Think weekends. Occasional sidetracks. Let fate drive.

i wouldn't plan too much. Take one when you feel like it, not when your schedule tells you it's past due or whatever. THat being said, looking back on our triplecrown attempt in 2001/2002, we took one on average of every 11 days. And although you think now that you will spend it in the woods, chances are you will take it wherever is most comfortable at the time: some girls house, hotel with 6 other hikers, exploring DC or NYC, rafting the Nolichucky, home for a wedding, Memorial day picnic, etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michele
    I haven't seen a lot of discussion about zero days. I understand it all depends on your hike/physcial conditioning/circumstances, etc. when it comes to how many you take, but I once said I thought I might take 1 zero per week and was told that was twice as much as normally taken by the average thru-hiker Is this true?

I'm giving myself 7 months to complete the trail and am in absolutely no hurry. What does everyone think about zero days and how often did you (or do you think you will) take one? By the way, I'm also considering taking zero days actually on the trail...just spending a day in a nice spot resting, instead of going into town to rest.

Chances are, you won't be seeing many of the places you'll pass through again. Take as many zero's as you feel necessary. Enjoy the woods and the towns. Have a great hike.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Default zero days

I love to take a day off a week,usually sunday while hiking.Sometimes two days off!If I have no datelines or its raining out bad,hate to hike in the rain.I just hike my own hike ,I have taken a week off in the middle of my hike to visit people many many times.ky

Default zeros: a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by map man
    If hikers who've completed the whole trail in one year and keep a journal at trailjournals.com are any indication, the "typical" thru-hiker would spend one zero day for every seven or eight spent hiking (20 zeros on average, 148 hiking days on avareage).
    Joe Walsh I ain't, but ordinary, average guy I must be. I had 21 zeros and 150 total days (129 hiking). My original plan called for a zero about every two weeks for a total of about 12 over six months.

Most of my zeros came as back to back zero days, some were single. I had 2 or more consecutive zeros in Hot Springs, Damascus, Pearisburg, Waynesboro, Carlisle PA, Wallingford VT. Once past central VA, most of my zeros were to get out of the rain. Early in the hike, my body needed extra recuperation time, especially in Pearisburg. I made it there from Damascus in 8 days which for me was phenomenal.

Further north (say, past the Terrapin Hostel in Front Royal, VA) good hostels were fewer and farther apart (for me, anyway) until reaching Maine, so my zeros on the northern half of the trail were mostly single zeros and spread out a little more.

I didn't plan on any 20+ mile days, but had 26.

My advice? Relax and chill out. Zeros, hostels and trail towns are a great part of thru hiking. Don't miss 'em.
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

Images

Besides taking zero days, you can also take short days too if you want.

Panzer

Nearo days. I think more than one per week (mabye way more...) when it is all counted up at the end...but mabye not so evenly spread out.

Images

zero days may be planned, and may be taken on a whim. that's the greatest thing a/b doing a thru, when you wake up in the morning, you can hike, or you can chill out, swim, lie around, read, sleep, or do whatever you want. it's the ultimate freedom.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Default I took a zero day on a 10 day section hike

in Georgia this March. One reason is that I was with Frosty, and I probably wouldn't have taken one if I was on my own. I don't regret it. I got to meet a few new hikers who passed me or stayed with us at the Hiawassee Inn.
    As I get older I don't worry as much about making miles as I do about making MEMORIES.
    I had a great time, and wouldn't change a thing about how I did it (except the "Snickers bar" incident. (Ask Frosty ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker
    in Georgia this March. One reason is that I was with Frosty, and I probably wouldn't have taken one if I was on my own. I don't regret it. I got to meet a few new hikers who passed me or stayed with us at the Hiawassee Inn.
    As I get older I don't worry as much about making miles as I do about making MEMORIES.
    I had a great time, and wouldn't change a thing about how I did it (except the "Snickers bar" incident. (Ask Frosty ).
    I forgot to mention that Frosty was ill, and I took the day off hoping he'd be better the next day. When he wasn't, I continued and finished my section hike solo.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boston
    Zero days are lame.
    ============================

You're kidding ...right ??

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++