WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    ...and light it up. See what happens?
    Never cook inside a tent.
    Well, is the vestibule considered inside the tent? I have, during a downpour, put my stove just outside the door, in the vestibule and cooked.

I think it is one of those things we know we probably shouldn't do, but will do carefully anyway.

BTW - anyone have a tent that is headed to the trash they would donate to make a fire video out of? I think it would be educational to see how fast a tent can go up...
    So be it.
    --John

Default snack cook burn die its all good

eat dry ramen to live. cook in tent to die.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    This is important. You will be shocked at how fast it goes up. Then imagine how easy it will be to get burning nylon off your skin. There is a story that has been around up in the Adirondacks about a body wraped in a burning tent found in a stream. It could be a legend. Again, please touch a flame to a piece of nylon. Then feel free to cook just outside your tent, it's your skin.
    There's a safety "recommendation" that quietly goes around the aviation community that nobody likes to talk about; don't wear nylon when flying. If cotton catches fire it falls away from your skin, nylon doesn't, it just melts in (ugh).
    Same holds for nylon-clad hikers and a spilled stove. Something to think about unless you normally wear a Nomex suit when hiking.

I Don't Get Out Of My Tent Until I've Had My Starbuck's
    Stumpknocker, you may need to go where I went...S.A.*
    It saved my life and my wallet

Although now at home I do buy that Starbucks organic serena blend for the home brew.

*starbucks anon
    ad astra per aspera

Images

If you do cook in your vestible, do not be zipped up in your sleeping bag at the same time. If a fire starts the zipper will probably jam.

Panzer

~LIVE WELL~LAUGH OFTEN~LOVE MUCH~ Green Bean's Avatar
    Images

I would be scared I would damage my nice piece of equipment! My eureka that is. ~GB
    "Plans to protect air, water, wilderness and wildlife are in fact plans to protect man."

Default Cold Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    Stumpknocker, you may need to go where I went...S.A.*
    It saved my life and my wallet

*starbucks anon
    Smile, you must have missed my post that said I was heading back on the Trail later next week and I'm going "cold turkey"......leaving my Starbuck's at home....or maybe I'll slip it into my bounce box.

I'm going to try Jolt caffeine gum......sounds terrible, doesn't it. Ha!!!

For all the folks out there that are worried about me, don't.

I feel very safe brewing my coffee outside the front of my tent. I worry much more about a tree or tree limb falling on me, but if someone wants to send me a warning patch that says don't set my tent on fire or don't set this tent up in the forest near a tree and the patch doesn't weigh too much, I'll stick it on the inside of my tent.

I try to use common sense about everything I do.....that's why I've never broken any bones......well, almost never. Yeah, come to think of it, the most dangerous thing I've dealt with on the Trail so far this year was when NOC let the smell of those grilling hamburgers go wafting up the mountain and it made me forget what and where I was and I slipped and broke my arm.

Maybe I'll just stay home, it's dangerous out there on the Trail.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTrail
    There's a safety "recommendation" that quietly goes around the aviation community that nobody likes to talk about; don't wear nylon when flying. If cotton catches fire it falls away from your skin, nylon doesn't, it just melts in (ugh).
    Same holds for nylon-clad hikers and a spilled stove. Something to think about unless you normally wear a Nomex suit when hiking.
    I take this to mean that if you decide to take the chance of having an open flame anywhere near nylon (or any other petroleum-based gear or clothing), you'd better make sure you have FAST egress, an instant means of dousing the flame, and that you never stop watching for fire?

Having seen nylon burn, that makes sense. It melts like a flash...and without a sound. By the time you smell it, it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I've cooked in my vestibule dozens of times.

Why do that? You could probably survive a few days on the crumbs in your beard.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

You're a funny guy. I've trimmed my beard since I've seen you last.

Images

Underarmor has been banned by some units, I don't know if there is a blanket ban on them. I know the Marines have made one - but even with that a couple of our Marines choose to wear them anyway.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

by oak, ash and thorn nicodemus's Avatar

Okay, maybe this is just a west coast thing, but I were to have ever cooked anywhere near my tent, much less in it, the bears would have all over the place. I forgot to hang my propane once and had three visits from the ursa americanus in one night. Does thing never happen out East? If so, you guys are so incredibly lucky.

On the NE AT, I only hang my food. Never had any critter disturb my stove. Should I be hanging more stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker
    Hey Blue Jay.....life is risky, isn't it??

I probably won't go long without my coffee when I start walking again, so I'll go back to the way I've brewed my coffee all along.

I'll just be more stressed, that's all.
    Life is risky. Didn't mean to stress you. Hell, I ride a Harley which is waaaay more dangerous than the chance you'll turn yourself into a torch. Just want people to know about the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    Life is risky. Didn't mean to stress you. Hell, I ride a Harley which is waaaay more dangerous than the chance you'll turn yourself into a torch. Just want people to know about the risk.
    Yeah, I know, bikes are dangerous too.....lost a good friend who took a Harley out for a test ride when a young guy in a pickup turn in front of him.

Had another friend got hit on his Harley last month and was in a coma for a week, but is doing much better now.

I'm careful on a bike and I feel safe brewing my coffee the way I do.

Be careful on your bike and stay out of RI.....saw a report that they are the worst drivers in the US.
    Stumpknocker

I ride a Harley and I'm from RI and I cook in my tent.Hmmmm.

Does Gypsy know????
    Stumpknocker

Images

....and you wear a skirt

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/atta...5&d=1152928941

I had a pair of Walrus tents, an Arch Rival and a Rapeede that accomodated a pretty neat catenary cut tarp called a Walrus tent lanai that attached to the front of the vestibule and was supported by a guyed out pole in the front. It made a very nice semi dry cooking area. Most importantly it was very well ventilated, had almost a zero chance of fire with a canister stove (no 4 foot high flare-ups). Entry into either of these tents wasn't the easiest thing and the lanai made it harder, but with 2 people sharing the load it made rainy weather more tolerable.

Cooking inside a tent is the second dumbest thing you can do. It used to be the first till someone over on the Backpacker pages suggested it's ok to wash out your underwear in a stream.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg
    You silly boy, that outfit is all wrong for riding a harley. Here's one of Lwolf and Captain Hook getting ready to ride:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++