WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Vernon NJ info?

Last in Line, but at least I finish kotaro24's Avatar

Question Vernon NJ info?

Hi all,

Last year my brother, his friend, and I were hiking southbound on the AT, when the friend collapsed, ending our section hike. We came down to a road just past Pochuk Shelter, and hitched into town (the friend went by ambulance).

This year, we would like to start where we left off, at that road near Pochuk shelter. Since we have to drive from Maryland to get to the area, we plan to park at HighPoint (our destination), then take a Taxi to our starting point. The problem is we're not sure where that starting point is. Based on the lay of the land (and a house with an S-shaped driveway), we think we should direct the taxi to this spot (Google Map). On to the question:

Can any local hiker verify that the spot in this map is the AT?

Guess we'll find out the hard away on Sept. 6th, but it would be nice to know we were in the right area.

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

The road you're looking for has (2) names: Wallkill Road or Liberty Corners Road. Whats your timing for 09/06. Maybe I could give you a ride. Send PM.

Images

I agree with SteveM - It is Lake Walkill Rd.

Here's the link on Google Maps:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...k&om=1&iwloc=A

or
    You can punch the GPS numbers into Google Maps:
    41°16'20.41"N, 74°31'18.05"W
    and it will take you right to the trailhead - you can see the trail on the map.

The big white house you walk by (and can also access by a side trail) is owned by the government and has a water spigot you can use.

Pochuk Shelter is just up the hill. I hiked that section late June. The Pochuk Shelter looks very nice. I stopped there and met a young couple just starting a section hike from there, heading to Maine. They looked like they would enjoy some privacy so I walked up to the ridge and stealthed there. During the night I heard many firecrackers going off in the direction of the shelter and wondered if they were having a bear issue. I never saw them again although I got a late start the next morning. Could be that they had one of the shortest section hikes ever!
    BigToe
    Men have become the tools of their tools.

I can't help you guys on the 6th but if you end up coming up on Tuesday or Thursday(Thursday before noon)I could also help you out with a ride. While you are in NJ you should check out Campmor in person, send a pm if I can help you out in any way. Or stop into my rest. for a beer!
    May the four winds blow you safely home

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You might want to consider an AT shuttler instead of a local taxi. I had very good success with Bob Boyle when I did an overnight from High Point to Warwick Turnpike a few summers ago. Bob maintains a section of the trail along the NY/NJ border also.

See the ATC Shuttler list, page 7, for New Jersey and New York shuttlers, including a few taxi companies. I suggest that you ask about the price when you call, and confirm when you're picked up. Bob would have done it for free, but I insisted and gave him $1/AT mile. With gas nowadays, $2/mile is not at all unreasonable.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Last in Line, but at least I finish kotaro24's Avatar

Thank you, everybody for the great advice! SteveM, I'll PM you shortly (My brother has a Park Maintenance job interview, and naturally it fell on Wednesday morning. Oh well, some things are worth losing a couple of hours of trail time). Current ETA to Highpoint will be about 4:00 PM.

++ New Posts ++