WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default under armour? good or bad

im planning my first section hike for mid-late oct. i have a set of under armour tops and bottoms, that i used to use when i ran winter track. Would this be a decent bottom layer, or should i look for something else?

Id say pretty good. They wick moisture away and wont snag on anything. I got a pair of cycling shorts that im gonna use as a base layer this weekend and not use any underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by MattC
    im planning my first section hike for mid-late oct. i have a set of under armour tops and bottoms, that i used to use when i ran winter track. Would this be a decent bottom layer, or should i look for something else?

I used it on all of my hike to wick moisture and most importantly prevent leg chaffing.
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

I used it for the whole thru hike last year..

Section by Section
    Images

I use the "Athletic Works" knock-off stuff from Wal-Mart. I think I paid $9 for the shirt.

Gettin Lighter..All the Time!!! Biloxi's Avatar

Smile base layer

if you want something good as a base then go to medalist performance apparel..they have the anti microbial stuff that kills the bacteria that causes the funk..its not cheap, but good stuff..they have lots of choices..spend some time looking around..should find what you need ..I have used it lots in the past..from hikeing to base layers for my teams..they have thermo regulating gear as well ..I will be useing some on my thru..but over silk..good luck

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam
    I use the "Athletic Works" knock-off stuff from Wal-Mart. I think I paid $9 for the shirt.
    Ditto - if you decide you don't like it, you're not out that much.

I used the shorts to prevent chafing, but noticed they trapped heat - just my experience though...
    So be it.
    --John

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    Ditto - if you decide you don't like it, you're not out that much.

I used the shorts to prevent chafing, but noticed they trapped heat - just my experience though...
    I didn't have that problem on the shorts, but we're all made different! I like them because they keep the boys at home if you know what I mean.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

I like them because they keep the boys at home if you know what I mean.
    Yea - my boys need a house too! I'd switch to a kilt but then I'd lose the support!
    So be it.
    --John

I got an "Athletic Works" from Wal-Mart. Size XL. I'm 5'7 155lbs and it was incredibly hard to get on. Should have got an XXL.

I also bought a nice pair of "Athletic Works" nylon pants. I saw a pair that looked just like them made by NIKE at Dicks Sporting goods. I paid about $9.00 for them.

Images

That or the Champion C9 stuff at Target is nice and cheap.

whatever...........
    matthewski

My boys want to be free.........

UA is the only stuff that has consistently prevented chaffing for me. I love mine. It does the following better than any alternative I've used: wicks, keeps me cool, and moves while maintaining support. But, I've never had them above 100 degrees, perhaps even it would fail to prevent chaffing then. It traps odor pretty bad, just like any synthetic.

Also note, some of UA's product lines do not have flies. That might be fine for a 2 hour workout, but it's a major annoyance for something so tight that you will wear all day long. Make sure you open the package in the store to see which line it is.

UA is made from patented material. Any knock off or Wal-Mart version is marketed to grab attention for its similar look and feel, but that won't mean it will wick and stay cool and move with you in the same way. There are tons of alternatives for syntetic undies. There were even well before UA was invented. UA grabed market share and became so popular because (a) it works well when other competitors don't and (b) athletes took to it very early and promoted the brand.

I bought a pair of their low socks for work (I wear trail runners) and bike commuting. I walk a lot at work, and find the socks to be durable and comfortable. I also wear Smartwool socks, which wick better, but hold more moisture and dry more slowly on the trail. The upside to the Smartwool socks is that they don't stink as badly after a few (3 or more) days of use. Wool has built-in antimicrobial properties.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

It seems that UA is one of those products that people either love or hate. I don't like it at all. To me, it feels like wearing tight rubberized elastic cloth, it smells like death warmed over after a day or so, the odor doesn't wash out easily, and it's expensive.

I have some UA shirts and they're comfortable and wick well. I have a Nike CoolMax shirt that works just as well and probably costs the same (I got it free, though). I also have a thicker Target shirt long sleeve...it's pretty comfortable, but I think it doesn't wick as well b/c it's thicker. Couldn't say if it was just the material that didn't work as well. I wear it when I need long sleeves while hiking and haven't been disappointed.

I tried the Athletic Works undershorts but they hugged the boys too tight...pushed them down so they rubbed between my thighs. Not good. Gave 3 brand new sets to GoodWill after that trip.

So I'd say UA is good. Don't know if it's that much better than the knock-offs, though. They all stink after a few hours of sweating (except the anti-microbial stuff...haven't used that yet).

Good......

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    I tried the Athletic Works undershorts but they hugged the boys too tight...pushed them down so they rubbed between my thighs. Not good. Gave 3 brand new sets to GoodWill after that trip.

So I'd say UA is good. Don't know if it's that much better than the knock-offs, though. They all stink after a few hours of sweating (except the anti-microbial stuff...haven't used that yet).
    Yea, there's lots of nylon/spandex knockoffs out there now. I also like the Target Champion-branded stuff. If you have a Bass Pro store nearby, they have this stuff under their RedHead house brand, all well-made. I particularly like their Visaendurance(.com) short--not too tight, antimicrobial & stain-release treated, and in black with logo so you can use em for an ad-hoc bathing suit.

Doug Frost

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++