WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind
    Ice Cream.....

I like Ice Cream...
    Ben & Jerry's has some pretty good stuff...
    I am partial to "Everything But The...."
    So what does everybody else think....what's your favorite ?

Ben & Jerry's is like Leki poles, overrated and overpriced. Breyers is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Ben & Jerry's is like Leki poles, overrated and overpriced. Breyers is much better.
    I don't think Breyers is better - flavor wise, but it is a better VALUE than B&J. Breyers is probably also better for you - although neither variety is heart healthy.

I am also fond of Mayfields ice cream. They have a flavor called Moose Droppings that is quite good.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I'm unique, just like everyone else........ One Leg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    I don't think Breyers is better - flavor wise, but it is a better VALUE than B&J. Breyers is probably also better for you - although neither variety is heart healthy.

I am also fond of Mayfields ice cream. They have a flavor called Moose Droppings that is quite good.
    Jeff, you ought to try Mayfield's new Black Fly Cherry Vanilla!!!
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, you're a mile away, and you've got his shoes.

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

[QUOTE=the AT doesn't allow hunting in the corridor period. the idea bothers me that it's okay to allow uncontrolled hunting dogs on the trail. you can burn this girl at the stake if you choose. but that dog was never supposed to be there in the first place. the AT is a hiking trail that doesn't allow hunting. the rules don't say you can hunt but just don't shoot here./QUOTE]

I am not sure if this is true or not.

It may be different from state to state. But I have seen deer stands built directly on the trail and the remains of field dressing game right in the middle of the trail. When I asked a game warden here in East Tennessee he said that there was no law against hunting near or even on the AT if it ran through a designated hunting area.
    Every year we end up with SoBo hikers in the area when bear season is in. One winter a group of SoBo's were on the trail all day with a large organized bear hunt with lots of dogs. Every year I end up with way too many hunting dogs brought into town and far away from radio signals and their home territory by well meaning hikers. We have no animal shelter or even a humane society. So if there is no telephone number or rabies tag we can't locate the owners.

The biggest problem with hikers rescuing hunting dogs and bringing them to town is that they then want to hand these dogs over to someone else and keep hiking. Consider if you rescue a dog on the trail that it is YOUR responsibility to take the time off the trail to find the owner. This can take several days and most hotels and hostels will not accept a hunting dog because there is no chance that it is housebroken or safe around people.

If the owner can not be located then it is your responsibility to find appropriate placement for the animal. This can be almost impossible in an area like ours that has no services for strays from out of the city. The city dog pound will not even take a hunting dog because they KNOW that someone brought it from outside of the city limits.

I have seen a few situations that have turned out well over the years. But for every good situation there has been a dozen heartbreaking and very frustrating outcomes. As hard as it may be leave a skinny, hungry hound in the woods... just think about what you are commiting yourself to if you "save" it!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet

The biggest problem with hikers rescuing hunting dogs and bringing them to town is that they then want to hand these dogs over to someone else and keep hiking. Consider if you rescue a dog on the trail that it is YOUR responsibility to take the time off the trail to find the owner. This can take several days and most hotels and hostels will not accept a hunting dog because there is no chance that it is housebroken or safe around people.

If the owner can not be located then it is your responsibility to find appropriate placement for the animal. This can be almost impossible in an area like ours that has no services for strays from out of the city. The city dog pound will not even take a hunting dog because they KNOW that someone brought it from outside of the city limits.

I have seen a few situations that have turned out well over the years. But for every good situation there has been a dozen heartbreaking and very frustrating outcomes. As hard as it may be leave a skinny, hungry hound in the woods... just think about what you are commiting yourself to if you "save" it!
    Excellent input, thanks Miss Janet!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

1. Never remove a domesticated animals collar.

2. Never engage in blood sport.

Everyone is ok.....

How in the world are we going to advance as a species when our leaders kill for fun?

Anyone ever see the footage of Mr. Cheney and Mr. Scalia on their duck hunting trip to the Eastern Shore of md? That is our Vice President and a Supreme Court Justice. Killing for fun. Something about that bother me.

peace
    mf

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mother's Finest

Everyone is ok.....

How in the world are we going to advance as a species when our leaders kill for fun?

Anyone ever see the footage of Mr. Cheney and Mr. Scalia on their duck hunting trip to the Eastern Shore of md? That is our Vice President and a Supreme Court Justice. Killing for fun. Something about that bother me.

peace
    mf
    It's far more complex than that. Humans over a couple of centuries have removed the natural predators and thus the balance of nature. Without hunters such wildlife as deer, geese and bear become nuicances that quickly outgrow the ability of what's left of the natural world to support them. With predators, human, or mountain lions, the fate of those cute deer and bears is starvation.

Weary

In addition to what Weary just said, most of the folks who engage in "Blood Sports" are actually better and more ardent conservationists than most of the folks in the hiking community, i.e. they're politically active, they take part in land preservation and acquisition efforts; they know more about native wildlife and the needs of these animals; they're intimately familiar with the woods and mountains neer their homes; and they certainly (via licenses and fees) make more significant financial contributions to environmental and land management programs than most hikers do.

Slamming those that participate in "blood sports" is pretty ignorant. The average hunter or fisherman knows more about, and perhaps cares more about the environment than does the average backpacker.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hunters who come to Maine to shoot bear that have been habituated to visit a pile of stale donuts, or follow a pack of dogs which chase a bear to exhuation until it is treed for an easy kill shot are hardly following in the tradition of Aldo Leopold.

Hikers should not remove collers from dogs. And no one should abandon animals in the woods.

I would add that it very illegal to tamper with any traps one encounters in the woods. QUestion for Weary: Is it still legal to harvest bear with leg-hold trap in Maine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mother's Finest

Everyone is ok.....

peace
    mf
    I'm with you on that, Bro.

~Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Slamming those that participate in "blood sports" is pretty ignorant. The average hunter or fisherman knows more about, and perhaps cares more about the environment than does the average backpacker.
    Slamming someone for having a different opinon is pretty ignorant, too, IMO.

I've hunted birds and game. I've fished. I'm a shooter. blah, blah, blah.
    The kind of "hunts" cheney and his gang go on would mortify the average hunter. The shoot farmed birds on the ground and those "ranches" in texas are nothing more than living shooting and drinking galleries for the rich.
    The culture of hunting has nothing to do with what those sociopaths do.

And Jack Daddy, what exactly do you mean by the "average" hunter or backpacker? Who IS that? Me? You? Mother's Finest?

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    It's far more complex than that. Humans over a couple of centuries have removed the natural predators and thus the balance of nature. Without hunters such wildlife as deer, geese and bear become nuicances that quickly outgrow the ability of what's left of the natural world to support them. With predators, human, or mountain lions, the fate of those cute deer and bears is starvation.

Weary
    And weary is right on the money, too.

hunting dogs are a part of rural life like it or not, you should respect the lifestyle. i myself owned a couple of blue tick hounds for you guessed it. hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin again
    And Jack Daddy...
    Who's your daddy! LOL!

Killing God's little critters for fun??

Ooh, the horror!

Bad Cheney!! Bad Scalia!!

Well, gee guys, I guess in other cases, it's perfectly OK, hmmmm?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3762770.stm

I guess when Dems do it, it suddenly becomes a non-issue, eh?

[quote=Darwin again]

The kind of "hunts" cheney and his gang go on would mortify the average hunter.

You mean people still dare to go hunting with shotgun Dick? AKA The Rifleman

In addition to what Weary just said, most of the folks who engage in "Blood Sports" are actually better and more ardent conservationists than most of the folks in the hiking community, i.e. they're politically active, they take part in land preservation and acquisition efforts; they know more about native wildlife and the needs of these animals; they're intimately familiar with the woods and mountains neer their homes; and they certainly (via licenses and fees) make more significant financial contributions to environmental and land management programs than most hikers do.

Jack speaks the truth.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Jack speaks the truth.
    Not only that but Jack and Weary essentially said the same thing from different perspectives.

Water is running uphill, hell is freezing over, and Jesus is fixin' to part the clouds!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Yeah, but Weary didn't post the snap of Kerry being manly in the woods!!

We're still a bit different!

Images

Yeah, but Weary didn't post the snap of Kerry being manly in the woods!!

We're still a bit different!
    No question of that!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++