WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: GSMNP and me

Images

Default GSMNP and me

I'm gonna wonder around the smokies for 6 days or so next month, anyone have any suggestions on cool trails, balds, towers, waterfalls that I might want to include in my trek? I've been by most of the popular places (charlies bunion, rainbow and grotto falls, cammerer, ect...).

And, I know your not supposed to, but, what are the odds of me getting caught if I slept in the Cammerer tower?

I'm unique, just like everyone else........ One Leg's Avatar
    Images

I live in Grainger County... Shoot me an email - I have a book listing all of the trails in the smokies with detailed directions as to how to access each trail... I'll lend you the book and let you read over each descriptive...It's a good one.

Scott
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, you're a mile away, and you've got his shoes.

Captain Fantastic's sidekick soad's Avatar
    Images

We were at the Cammerer tower in June and commented on how awesome it would be to spend the night. I'm sure that sunset/sunrise from there would be awesome....

I would imagine that rangers patrol the area more than other more conventional towers due to the thoughts you and I (and many others) have. That would keep me from trying, but I'm sure people have done worse in those mountains than spending the night there.
    “Back in the day, when the emperor or the king or whatever waged war, they went to war, too. But that's been lost in time.” DM

Gregory Bald is the best spot in the park.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    I'm gonna wonder around the smokies for 6 days or so next month, anyone have any suggestions on cool trails, balds, towers, waterfalls that I might want to include in my trek? I've been by most of the popular places (charlies bunion, rainbow and grotto falls, cammerer, ect...).

And, I know your not supposed to, but, what are the odds of me getting caught if I slept in the Cammerer tower?
    all you lucky folks who still live near there... i'm jealous...

mouse creek falls, ramsey cascade, and indian flats falls are all worth the walk... indian flats is a bit off the path, but that means less company.

if you want a completely solitary experience, cross over the lynn camp prong a quarter mile or so above the cascades (find your own log), climb straight up to the top of Timber Ridge, and then head east toward Blanket Mountain, parallel to the Panther Creek and Jake's Creek Trails. there's an old logging trail the runs just below the summit of the ridge, on its north side. i've been pretty 'confused' up in there, but it was one of my favorite areas. absolute solitude too.

Default Some nice campsites

The site on Gregory Bald is closed due to bear activity. The bald is a great place to visit though.

Some other nice campsites are on Eagle Creek. Of the 3, the one in the middle is not too swift but the other 2 are 5 star. The climb up from the last site to Spence Field is super steep.

++ New Posts ++