WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Blazing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    And you will start to see why we had to close the thread if this keeps up. There are those that think people responding are heartless and further victimizing her, and those that think she brought it on herself. In the end, the "truth" is subjective and either way is not very pretty.

Hopefully we can let this article die without another re-hash of the crap that went along with that thread. The article is a good thing for men and women getting ready to go on the trail to read and know how NOT to act.
    Sgt, I can see from some of the replies already that what you point out is true. I can see both points of view regarding this article. As I stated earlier, I searched pink blazing and came up with nothing. If I had, I would not have started this thread. I truly believe that the hiking community as a whole is a great deal more enlightened, especially when compared to some of the personalities portrayed in the article. Like any community however, there will always be those that will act outside the boundaries of what is considered "acceptable behavior". Forget what this article implies on both sides...I simply hope that if any of us out there see's anything going on that is truly out of line, I would like to think that the majority of us would try and do the right thing. It's just that simple.
    Red Rover

I'm still trying to decide just who the victim(s) is/are?

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I thought this thread was closed. Now it's open again. Didn't we all determine the girl in question is a nut?

Let's just let it go.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

Well that thread is still closed. This one was started by Red Rover who just didn't know and started it in good faith. Problem is that as civil as it is being right now, this thread has the chance to go to the dog at any second.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    Can't someone name it something different?
    It's sounds so intrusive and crass.
    GEEZUS.

I have to tell you I did not like the label "Pink Blazing" either. I won't say why, blush blush!! Then my friend said to get my mind out of the gutter and think Pink as in Girl - Blue as in Boy.

Oh,
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

So, when girls blue blaze we're not talking taking alternate trails?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    So, when girls blue blaze we're not talking taking alternate trails?

An answer for everything...
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    ... this thread has the chance to go to the dog at any second.

Good grief!! Pink blaze a dog? A new low.

Images

To quote Dr. Phil ......"What was she thinking?"

Just let it go......
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Was just over on Wingfoot's site where there's a discussion on this. His advice to guys hitting the trail,"from an overall health standpoint, it's best not to swim in polluted ponds."

Images

Thumbs down

ahhhhh it's that dreaded pink word again........

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

ahhhhh it's that dreaded pink word again........
    This one's for you, Starlyte.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr848PoaRZk

pursuing a woman to the point that she feels harassed is wrong. irregardless if she is a nun or a ****. if you think she is a tease then dont talk to her. a tease can only do so if there is someone who allows themself to be teased. it doesnt matter if its on the hiking trail, at school or work, church or in a social setting. and anyone who observes this and doesnt speak up is wrong too.

Images

Can't someone name it something different?
    It's sounds so intrusive and crass.
    GEEZUS.
    Desperate Blazing? Hay Blazing (as roll in the hay)? Banana Blazing?

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Desperate Blazing? Hay Blazing (as roll in the hay)? Banana Blazing?

Does Gray Blazing have something to do with old people pink blazing?
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

gray blazing is riding the dog (ie Grayhound bus)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    Does Gray Blazing have something to do with old people pink blazing?
    LMAO, I call myself Gray Blazer because I drive a gray chevy blazer. I used to be Bear Bait II, but, there were other Bear Baits. My son gave me a trail name on the AT last summer, View Master. I'm not sure what an AT Gray Blazer is but I would assume it would be anyone who is old enough to have gray hair or anyone who is just plain old, like Old Fhart. I'm not old yet, but, I'm getting there. Speaking of old people pink blazing, check out Neo's new pics and notice how many times the ones with the chicklets have been viewed as compared to the other pics. Kinda points out what someone noticed about the # of views in sexy hiker babe thread compared with the # of posts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    gray blazing is riding the dog (ie Grayhound bus)
    I think you're right.

Default not that bad out there.

This is for Red Rider:

I read the article just recently too and had some strong mixed feelings. I have also been fascinated by the threads regarding Weil's write-up on pink blazing.

First of all, it is unfortunate she puts a bad light on women hiking alone. I felt pretty safe out there. I met all types but most people were pretty decent. But then again, I'm not 20 and I was in my late 30's when I hiked the trail. So I guess I brought a little bit of street-smart with me into the woods.

I felt for the author when she described her situation at Tray Mtn. Ironically, I also experienced some rash remarks at that same shelter from some veteran AT hikers reliving their youth. They tried to call me Spinster. Is that like telling a young girl she's "thick?" I also had to hide behind a tree to get someone to pass me. That was pretty scary and annoying. So here I was thinking this article is going to be good.

But the middle of the article lost me. That kinda stuff with Easyrider and others doesn't just happen on the Trail. That happens everywhere. She just had to learn about it on the Trail, I guess. People can get clingy. Didn't she realize that? She got back on track when she talked about the OCD guy. Too bad the article didn't stay on the mark. It probably would have been more helpful.

And if she intermixed it with some positives, I would have liked her a lot more. I had more great memories from my thru-hike than bad experiences. And I handled things a little differently. For example, when a particular guy started annoying me at Stecoah Gap, I made sure everyone and anyone knew that this guy annoyed me. I didn't care if it made me look bad. He shook me up a bit. It was amazing how many people I mentioned my concerns to agreed I was doing the right thing and that I should follow my instincts. And fellow hikers, both men and women, helped me out.

I wish the article was a little more objective and less fanciful. Maybe I should write about my experiences...
    GA-ME 2004.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++