WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My ortho also pushes the Ibuprofen. He prescribed 800 mg but I'm pretty sure that's the same as 4 advil, just harder to swallow. And he's always, always reminding me to take them if I do anything arduous.

aspirin and tylenol are both analgesics that work in different ways. aspirin will dull the pain and also thin the blood via less platelet count. tylenol will also dull pain but its best use is to lower fever and it is hard on the liver. ibuprofen(advil, motrin) is an anti inflamitory and reduces pain via reducing the inflamation and swelling in the joint capsul which is where most of our hiking pain comes from ie: knees and ankles. ibuprofen is hard on the kidneys over long periods however it is prescribed safely over long periods for arthritis. i have discussed this with several doctors and the general consenses is that while hiking, our metabolisms are at such a high rate that the ibuprofen is processed rapidly and does not affect the kidneys as much. normal PRESCRIPTION dosage is 800mg three times a day.
    geek

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug View Post
    Summary: take what works for you. Don't mix NSAIDs. Supplement pain relief with Tylenol if desired.

I usually take to two Vit I at night as a preventative for two weeks at the start of a long hike. After two weeks I won't take anything unless I have a particularly long/hard day. Another MD said it OK to supplement it with a naproxen for longer relief. You don't agree?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I usually take to two Vit I at night as a preventative for two weeks at the start of a long hike. After two weeks I won't take anything unless I have a particularly long/hard day. Another MD said it OK to supplement it with a naproxen for longer relief. You don't agree?
    My daughter the doc sounded me out when I took both naproxen sodium (Aleve) and ibuprofen (Motrin). My personal physician also said not to mix NSAIDs which include aspirin, naproxen sodium, and ibuprofen. Rule is not to mix NSAIDs. Since tylenol is not an NSAID, its ok to take it with any of the above.

My prescription level of ibuprofen for treating hip tendonitis on this year's thruhike was 600mg tabs (equivalent of 3 over the counter ibuprofen) taken 3 times a day with meals. They really worked well on the tendonitis. On the other hand naproxen seemed to work better on some knee problems I had, but didn't do anything for the tendonitis. A couple of times in Maine I felt some twinges in the hip I had tendonitis in in VA and took 3 regular ibuprofen as a preventive measure nipping the inflammation in the bud.

Even when I didn't have any problems with my joints, I often took one ibuprofen with my evening meal. I found it helped me sleep better since I'm 61 and have the usual aches and pains. None of this seems to have caused any problems as I just had my annual physical and the doc said all my labs looked great.

please read mg on the package of ibuprofen before taking 1, 2, 3 or 4. most are200mg and 4 does equal the normal script dosage however they also come in 100mg, 500mg and 800mg pills.
    geek

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug View Post
    Vit I has more adverse effects on kidney function that liver. In low dosage, it is probably as safe as anything, and hopefully more safe than Vioxx was.
    You pays your ante and you takes your chances.
    I was at my cardiologist today for a two month check up. He's the guy that finally solved my heart rythym problem after my first cardiologist gave up.

Anyway while waiting for him to meet with me I read one of the medical journals in his office and spied a report on an European study that concluded that males who use Ibuprofen on a regular basis are significantly more likely to have erectile dysfunction than those on Tylenol.

I thought to myself, hmmm I'm glad I use mostly tylenol for such aches and pains.

I was tempted to rip out the page so as to give folks a more thorough report, but my conscience got the better of me. Maybe OB can find us more details.

BTW. The new heart medicine was almost like turning on a switch. Hill climbing improved 100 percent. Actually, more. A mile walk used to be slow agony. This week I resumed work on some land trust bog bridges that I had abandoned last winter.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I was at my cardiologist today for a two month check up. He's the guy that finally solved my heart rythym problem after my first cardiologist gave up.

Anyway while waiting for him to meet with me I read one of the medical journals in his office and spied a report on an European study that concluded that males who use Ibuprofen on a regular basis are significantly more likely to have erectile dysfunction than those on Tylenol.

I thought to myself, hmmm I'm glad I use mostly tylenol for such aches and pains.

I was tempted to rip out the page so as to give folks a more thorough report, but my conscience got the better of me. Maybe OB can find us more details.

BTW. The new heart medicine was almost like turning on a switch. Hill climbing improved 100 percent. Actually, more. A mile walk used to be slow agony. This week I resumed work on some land trust bog bridges that I had abandoned last winter.

Weary
    Tylenol for me!

Glad to hear of your dramatic improvement Weary.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Default charlie horse

Which of these, including iboprophin, would be best for calming a charlie horse (nerve pain going down the leg)? I don't know if a charlie horse involves inflammation or not, but the pain is very aggrevating.

I've heard (here) you shouldn't, but can anyone tell me *why* it's bad to mix NSAID's on a limited basis?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by got milf? View Post
    Which of these, including iboprophin, would be best for calming a charlie horse (nerve pain going down the leg)? I don't know if a charlie horse involves inflammation or not, but the pain is very aggrevating.
    None of the above. AS I understand it a charlie horse is not nerve pain, but a muscle cramp. In the long run the prevention is plenty of fluids and adequate levels of calsium in the body.

Short term stretching and gentle walking usually works for me when a charlie horse occurs during the night.

A charlie horse is simply a muscle cramp, and these frequently occur during sleep, causing the sufferer to awaken in pain. Most of these cramps happen in the legs and feet, but they can happen anywhere in the body. Charlie horses are not serious, but they are certainly uncomfortable.

Keeping the muscles stretched and wearing comfortable shoes may also help, as well as applying a an improvised hot water bottle to the muscles right before bed.

If you build up exercise levels gradually, charlie horses can generally be avoided, I find.

If the cramps are frequent, blood tests may be needed to determine if calcium levels are low or if there is an electrolyte imbalance.

Charlie horses are most common in older people and adolescents, although people with diabetes or those who are overweight are also more likely to suffer muscle cramps during the night.

Weary (with help from a google search)

Images

If you plan on thru-hiking, there will be a time when your stomach will be constantly without food in it. To much vitamin I on an empty stomach is no good, just imagine what it could do to a starving pilgrim (a thru-hiker)....

Do the miles, go with a mild pain reliever...IMHO
    Peace

Mixing NSAIDs increases the risk of GI bleed. Listen to what your real doc says.

Erectile dysfunction and hill climbing. I really don't want to think about that.

Charlie horse is a muscle spasm with local ischemia, much like a heart attack but not as severe or lethal. The cure is prevention with adequate hydration, avoidance of tobacco, adequate electrolytes including calcium during the day and stretching.

A note to those who enjoy a drink now and again....acetaminophen-based medications such as Tylenol and Excedrin should NOT be taken if you're going to be drinking that day. Apparently, Ibuprofen and alcohol (in reasonably small ammounts, naturally) are much safer.

You should remember that any drug will cause damage if used in too large qantities or for too long a period of time. Being an RN I have witnessed what Aspirin can do over time to your stomach. My advice is to switch pain meds on a fairly frequent basis, and dont take more than reccomended.

For those looking for an alternative to these products check out Traumeel. www.nutritiondynamics.com/featured_product
    I use the gel and tablets and have had great results. They are pricey.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

FanaticFringer,

Reference your post (#35), according to the link (www.nutritiondynamics.com/featured_product), you can go directly to the top, for FREE, simply by using their Prayer Request link(s), and avoid all unpleasant medical side effects.
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

They recalled a bunch of acetominaphin; I heard that they had small pieces of metal in the pills.. Have to check for the specific name brand but it was a lot.. I prefered Vitamin I , and took lots of it, around 800 to 1200 mg a day(24 hrs). It really helped, It prevents inflamation, so I also took it at night so it could reduce the swelling while I was asleep.. I am not sure I could have hiked the trail without it.. Also would reccommend regular vitamins and glucosamine for the joints..

Images

i vote vitamin I neo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++