WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ibuprofen vs. Naproxen Sodium

I hear alot of hikers take vitamin I instead of aleve or some other sort of that kind of medicine. Is there a reason to take ibuprofen over naproxen sodium?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Both are in the category called NSAIDS. - non steroidal, anti inflammatory drugs. Aleve you're only supposed to take every 12 hours or twice a day. I don't find it as effective for me, personally. I prefer Advil liquigels (not generic either). Goes to the pain quicker as its in a more liquid form in an easily digestable capsule. I might be inclined to take Aleve at night if I need pain relief for a longer period of time. Also, there have been questions raised in the past about long term use of Aleve. Another reason maybe not to take them every day, twice a day, for six months.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Aspirin

Since it does not seem to harm my stomach I generally stick with Bayer Aspirin, the 500 mg dosage for "back and body". It seems to dull my body pain as well as anything else OTC I have tried and keeps the blood thinned, too, since I am 'of that age'. I have tried many of these drugstore remedies and I find them all about the same so i decided to stick with aspirin. But, for those with delicate stomachs it may not work. Mine, thankfully, is not. I guess it is because of all the hot sauce and jalapenas I have eaten

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I have some really bad arthritis and have a script for naproxen, to be taken every am and pm. Sometimes the pain is so bad that the meds don;t really help. My doctor said at times like that I can take some Tylenol. As there is no asprin in the Tylenol there is no contraindications. Some people double up on the NSAID's and that is bad. -- So when hiking I usually take my naproxen in the morning and then at night I take a naproxen and a tylenol pm.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Naproxin Sodium (Aleve) does not take as much time to build up and relieve pain as Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil). You have to take Vitamin I every 4 to 6 hours for about 24 hours for it to actually work. For NS it is more like 6-12 hours to build up enough in your system to work.

I prefer Vitamin I because it causes me less gastrointestinal problems, but I start it the day before a hike and continue taking it regularly. For pain I wasn't expecting at home, I use NS as it works much faster. While it has fallen in disuse these days, good old aspirin works well while Vitamin I or NS are building up in my system. While acetaminophen (Tylenol) is comparable to aspirin for pain relief, it does not address the inflammation that is generally a part of the aches and pains felt by hikers.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 09-27-2006 at 11:29.

Aleve does nothing for me. I take a couple of Ibuprofen the day before I do a major hike, two the morning of, and a couple that night on the trail. Repeat the next day and by day three I normally don't take anything. The first couple of days I am sore but after that I am good to go with no pain meds.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Best for inflammation?

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    ... While acetaminophen (Tylenol) is comparable to aspirin for pain relief, it does not address the inflammation that is generally a part of the aches and pains felt by hikers.
    I suspect that it is the pain caused by inflammation, certainly around our joints, from putting too much stress, under load, upon our bodies that we are trying to dull.

If so, I wonder which of the OTC pain relievers would work best upon this inflammation?

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Try both and see which one relieves pain better for you. Some people respond better to naproxen than they do motrin. Biggest difference is in dosage and dose intervals per 24 hour period.

Motrin (ibuprofin) can be taken every 4 - 6 hours whereas naproxen is dispensed a 12 hour dose. If your pain returns before the 12 hours is up you are SOL.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    I suspect that it is the pain caused by inflammation, certainly around our joints, from putting too much stress, under load, upon our bodies that we are trying to dull.

If so, I wonder which of the OTC pain relievers would work best upon this inflammation?
    All of those mentioned except Tylonol are anti-inflammatories.

For me it's simple, Ibuprofen works, Aleve does not. And it works quickly, I don't have to build it up the day before. But as the varying opinions on this thread suggest, what works for one may not for another.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Summary: take what works for you. Don't mix NSAIDs. Supplement pain relief with Tylenol if desired.

ASA is my favorite at home, but Naprosyn (400 mg twice daily) on the trail. Water gets to my aspirin too easily on the trail.

Images

Water gets to my aspirin too easily on the trail.
    I carry the entric coated aspirin and break it in half before taking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I carry the entric coated aspirin and break it in half before taking.
    ======================================
    Don't generally carry aspirin (ASA) on the trail any more but when I did I carried the brand "Ecotrin", which was enterically coated. The coating made it easier to tolerate PLUS it retarded moisture absorption.

'Slogger

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Enteric coated is a good idea. I'll need to take low dose ASA for my hubby when he sections with us - because of his BP and family heart problems. Hoping the AT cures him of it all (and knocks down a bunch of weight)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Enteric coated is a good idea. I'll need to take low dose ASA for my hubby when he sections with us - because of his BP and family heart problems. Hoping the AT cures him of it all (and knocks down a bunch of weight)
    ==============================

Not sure if those low dose (81 mg) sized aspirin pills have the enteric coating. I keep the Bayer brand ones at home and I know that they are yellow and have a shiny outer appearance ...so maybe they are.

'Slogger

Images

Wow, I'm surprised to find out how many people take "preventative" ibuprofen. I usuallly take the stuff when I can tell the pain is going to be bad, but never take it if I don't hurt. Is it safe to take vitamin I like this? What about the affects on our liver?
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Vit I has more adverse effects on kidney function that liver. In low dosage, it is probably as safe as anything, and hopefully more safe than Vioxx was.

You pays your ante and you takes your chances.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised to find out how many people take "preventative" ibuprofen. I usuallly take the stuff when I can tell the pain is going to be bad, but never take it if I don't hurt. Is it safe to take vitamin I like this? What about the affects on our liver?
    Ibu or aleve are ok to take preventatively. As mentioned several times above use what works for you. You should avoid taking NSAIDs on an empty stomach. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is not an NSAID, just an analgesic, so you can take it concurrently with ibu or naproxen (aleve). The rule of thumb for ibu is 100mg/1hr relief - ex 600mg every 6hrs. No more than 800mg every 8hrs (this is a standard dosing).

Get some small travel packs and try them out for yourself.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Too Complicated

This is becoming complicated. I decided to stick with plain 'ole aspirin!

Images

Michele, I wouldn't recommend Vitamin I be taken as a preventative by those in decent shape and without arthritis or other condition that will virtually assure inflamation with hiking. My ortho directed me to take it prior to all long hikes. I also have some more powerful Rx meds for varying levels of pain - tramadol, lortab & percoset - but I try not to use those much as they all are addictive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++