WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How important are maps to you while hiking the AT?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

You can usually buy detailed state maps for 5-6 bucks each. Combine that with a good data book and you won't need to spend $150+ on a set of AT maps....for those who are thrifty.

Maps are not really needed on the AT but they are vital to your journey. It is good to know position on the trail for all sort of reasons. I might add do not put much faith in the profiles because they can mess up your mind.
    Life is good........Swamp Dawg

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swamp dawg
    Maps are not really needed on the AT but they are vital to your journey. It is good to know position on the trail for all sort of reasons. I might add do not put much faith in the profiles because they can mess up your mind.
    Life is good........Swamp Dawg
    Well, for a few miles anyway. Most of us quickly figure out that the contour interval hides all those PUDS. And that the height of mountains is exaggerated so it doesn't all look like a gentle wavy line. Of course if you carry your own maps rather than looking over someone's shoulder, you could read the map legends and directions before starting to hike, thus the learning curve would be reduced.

Weary

I once saw a hiker seemingly studying his profile map in the shelter the night before hitting Roan Mt. In the morning, he got to the next road crossing and quit the trail and headed home. The profile map (elevation) scared the hike out of him.

I would rather be surprised with my days unfolding than always knowing where i will be and what's coming up. Of course, having already done the AT, i only carry the data book.
    I did get lost pretty bad in the Smokies once when i was carrying a map because i was in a different ravine (started out looking for water) than i thought and ended up spending a day lost. I think if i wouldn't have made the mistake (there is no way for traingulation in some of the steep ravines in the foggy smokies usually), if i wouldn't have felt the confidence because i had a map along.
    I think perhaps the Delorme Gazeteer maps would be better than the ATC maps because they show a much bigger range and the AT corrider is well marked with the white blazes of course. (of course you'd have to buy 13 of them to have the whole trail) ( i don't think you'd need WV) anyway, that's my 2 cents on AT maps.
    Of course western USA hiking is a lot different as you are often away from trails, or marked trails anyway. Good map reading skills are really needed there. Perhaps you can hone these skills on the AT first. but Tringulation is a lot easier when you are in a more Alpine environment compared to the "Green Tunnel" of the AT.
    I do think a small compass is a good idea on the AT, just because i often forget which way i came into the shelter the night before and have found myself going the wrong way already.
    to each his own
    Last edited by fiddlehead; 06-22-2005 at 23:35.

Default Importance of Maps

The AT is the only trail that I didn't use maps on. My primary guide was the data book. My pace is so constant that I know what time I'll be getting to the resupply road or the water source. The AT is so well blazed and marked with signs that it's easy to follow and know where you are on it. When we got to Maine Tex found that he needed to go home. He gave me his maps which told me that he wasn't coming back. I looked at the maps a couple times but realized it was a waste of my time and information I didn't need. Then I was hiking down a mountain and there was Tex coming up. He'd done a flip flop when he came back to the trail. He'd bought replacement maps of Maine. To me using maps on the AT is like wearing both a belt and suspenders.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Nobody with any sense goes into the backcountry for 6 hours, let alone 6 months, without the best current map of the area they'll be visiting, and, needless to say the ability to read and use the map they're carring.
    Or you can take the Onstar for the trail... aka Baltimore Jack (I hear they are making a smaller model?)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Former Admin
    How important are maps to you while hiking the AT?
    Maps are like air bags in an automobile. They are only rarely "needed" but most find air bags pretty critical on those admittedly rare occasions.

Maps have a secondary value, of course, for those of us with a bit of curiosity about the country we are walking through. I like to know the names of adjacent hills, where roads lead to, the names of lakes, and other features.

Weary

Images

Thumbs up

I can get lost in my own backyard, so yes, I find maps to be very helpfull.

Default Other peoples

I didn't use maps and I didn't anticipate needing them on the AT. As I suspected, they were not that helpful. That being said, I would have a quick look at other people's if they had them. The elevation profiles could be handy to know what kind of day you were in for, but often I'd rather just hike and take it as it came.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

A thru-hiker, if nothing else, should be self-sufficient. Depending on other people,or taking for granted that you'll always have the opportunity to take advantage of other folks and what they're equipped with, is generally a bad mindset. One wouldn't depend on other hikers for food, shelter, clothing, and so on....assuming that when you want to look at a map, there ll always be someone around to lend you theirs....well, this is not only wrong, and not only the wrong attitude to adopt regarding self-sufficiency (never mind respect for your fellow hikers) but it can be dangerous as well. In an emergency situation, such as an injury, bad weather, unexpected reason to leave the Trail in a hurry, etc.------in an emergency situation, time is often critical. If you're sitting on your ass for two hours waiting for someone to come along whose forsight and preparedness you can conveniently mooch off of, well this seems careless to say the least. A map is only any good if you have it on your person and are perpared to use it. Assuming you can always use somebody else's is not a good philosophy. One wouldn't do this with any other piece of gear or equipment; maps are no different.

Images

You don't really need maps on most well-maintained trails. I just carry them because I like 'em so much.
    Just hike.

Images

One good reason to carry maps is that children love them. I don't know about other people's kids, but mine definitely want and need to know what's ahead of us on a particular day. And a casual "we'll take it as it comes" doesn't seem to do it for them! It may be just a hiking version of "are we there yet?" but my kids really like to see what elevation changes and landmarks are ahead of us on any given day; taking it more free-form seems to result in (even) more whining, somehow.

Jane in CT

I love maps! In our house I am the Queen of the Map! Or the Master Navigator as I call myself.

Maps do more then just point the way - a good map will show you things you would miss otherwise. I love finding surprises here and there when hiking.

And thanks to Sgt. Rocks wonderful site with its compass lesson I am finally learning the proper way to use a compass and map together.
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CynJ
    I love maps! In our house I am the Queen of the Map! Or the Master Navigator as I call myself.

Maps do more then just point the way - a good map will show you things you would miss otherwise. I love finding surprises here and there when hiking.

And thanks to Sgt. Rocks wonderful site with its compass lesson I am finally learning the proper way to use a compass and map together.
    Just don't buy a Tate brand compass.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

One thing a lot of hikers could use is a beginner's class on the use of a map and compass. It really could mean the difference between getting out of a jam or not. I'd like to see the ALDHA do some sort of seminar on it at a Gathering soon.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wyclif
    One thing a lot of hikers could use is a beginner's class on the use of a map and compass. It really could mean the difference between getting out of a jam or not. I'd like to see the ALDHA do some sort of seminar on it at a Gathering soon.
    Here's one.

http://www.gpsnuts.com/myGPS/GPS/Tut.../Maps/maps.htm

Images

That's a good one.

I also think this one still has some legs:

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/mapcompass.shtml

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

I intended to detail several reasons I haven't read yet why I don’t feel the need to use the ATC map on the AT unless I think I might detour using side trails.

Then I read the authoritative, “Nobody with any sense goes into the backcountry ... without the best current map ...” and “... Only a fool goes out into the backcountry without one.” (Post #11)

I won’t bother elaborating upon my initial idea. Why would one waste valuable time reading the writings of someone identified as a fool, with no sense?

There apparently is no need to read more, so, no need to write further on this topic.

Question Ed Garvey ?

I think this guy only used "Road Maps" and not the entire hike ?
    Didn't he mostly just talk to other hikers from the various hiking clubs
    about the trail ahead ?

Is it against some self-sufficient rule to ask another hiker or local for
    directions and insight about the trail, etc., as one meets them ?
    Sheese I am looking forward to this part of my hike a lot !!

I love maps with a passion, but the weight and expense seem to
    much for my taste. Besides I like a little 'adventure' when I play outside.

Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Red face ooops I meant his guy...Earl V. Shaffer

sorry bout that ........
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++