WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How important are maps to you while hiking the AT?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    ...The GPS doesn't screw up however, so, I have learned they are more useful than a map. Maps will be obsolete in a few more years. Not totally. Some old school adventurers will still carry them but they'll be the ones getting lost in a storm or poor visability. ....
    In his gear book, Andrew Skurka writes about how a map and compass are far superior to GPS (for those who know how to use them). So at least one hiker with way more backcountry travel experience than I would tend to disagree.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The salient point in Skurka's comment is: "for those who know how to use them."

The thing a GPS will do is tell you *exactly where you are*. A map won't do that and if you don't know how to put a compass to the map and triangulate your position the best you can do is guess or say "we're somewhere around here". If you're really lost and can't triangulate you're just screwed.

My guess is that many people in the "I love maps." camp aren't nearly good enough with a map and compass to outperform a GPS.

If you have to pick between a map and compass or a GPS pick them both.
    Last edited by 10-K; 06-09-2012 at 10:59.

If (When!) I drop my map I know it won't break.

And my map has never needed batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    If (When!) I drop my map I know it won't break.

And my map has never needed batteries.
    I carried a map of the BMT on my BMT thru and it got wet and tore to shreds because it wasn't waterproof, but my GPS is.

You just can't plan the uncertainty out of life no matter what, can you?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I'm just a stubborn old-school adventurer myself. I carry a digital Camera, i have carried my Cell phone for my families peace of mind. It's GPS is not enabled. [another thread and can of worms!] As I said earlier. navigating through the boonies by map & compass is fun.
    I really have fun Hiking, camping & fishin'!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

The thing a GPS will do is tell you *exactly where you are*. A map won't do that and if you don't know how to put a compass to the map and triangulate your position the best you can do is guess or say "we're somewhere around here". If you're really lost and can't triangulate you're just screwed.

My guess is that many people in the "I love maps." camp aren't nearly good enough with a map and compass to outperform a GPS.

Yep,the old saying "It's a brave man that can put a X on the Ocean",comes to mind.True,we might not be able to fix a coordinate to + or - 1 meter,but probably not needed anyway,if I can tell where I am within ear shot or about 60 yards,or as far as I can see,thats all I need for the trail,If I could afford to buy a GPS,yep,I'd have one as well,cool tool indeed.

Just a correction to something I typed above.. My BMT maps were the Nat Geo maps and they are waterproof. It was my "BMT Guide to NC" that was not waterproof. I was using it rather than the maps because it was BMT specific and had much greater detail than the Nat Geo maps. It sucked when I let it get wet and the pages stuck together making it useless.

And to be fair, the BMT track on my GPS was not exactly right either. In the end I'm glad I had maps, guide and GPS because they all were useful at one time or another. If I had been forced to take only one it would have been the maps though...

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

Actually, the primary point made by the pro-map camp is that while a GPS will tell you where you are, it can't tell you how to get to where you are going. Sure it tells you which direction you need to go, but it doesn't tell you that there might be a mountain or a canyon in the way. It doesn't tell you where a water source is. Of course it can tell you those things if the battery doesn't fail and it has a map built into it. Both take skill as evidenced by many stories of people getting lost and in trouble thinking their GPS was sufficient.

Images

I have a Nat Geo of SNP. On it has a graphic of available maps, it looked like the entire appalachian trail was covered, does anyone have this collection or have used one of the NON-National Park maps?
    Last edited by coach lou; 06-09-2012 at 11:56.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I have a Nat Geo of SNP. On it was a graphic of available maps, it looked like the entire appalachian trail was covered, does anyone have this collection or have used one of the NON-National Park maps?
    Coach,I think your asking "Is the entire trail available on the Nat Geo series maps,Not sure.But I too have a few Nat Geo series maps of particular parks or sections of the trail,and they are wonderful,very good looking maps with shaded relief.

another reason I prefer maps GPS is when you Zoom-in,you lose the surrounding area,Obva,but I prefer to see where I going,or the bigger picture.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Coach,I think your asking "Is the entire trail available on the Nat Geo series maps,Not sure.But I too have a few Nat Geo series maps of particular parks or sections of the trail,and they are wonderful,very good looking maps with shaded relief.

another reason I prefer maps GPS is when you Zoom-in,you lose the surrounding area,Obva,but I prefer to see where I going,or the bigger picture.
    I am looking at the key right now....'Regional Trails Illustrated Titles'... avalible coverage appears to start at the Ga./NC line and continue to what looks like Harpers Ferry, there also appears to be coverage of some National forest areas to the emediate west of certain areas.

For major trails like the AT I def do not carry paper maps. I have all the info I need for an emergency escape on my iPhone. I have apps/PDFs that contain all the other info I need.

I do like paper maps for planning purposes, but haven't found a need for them in the field. As fiddlehead said, paper maps and compass are going the way of the sextant. Modern technology just does so much more.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    For major trails like the AT I def do not carry paper maps. I have all the info I need for an emergency escape on my iPhone. I have apps/PDFs that contain all the other info I need.

I do like paper maps for planning purposes, but haven't found a need for them in the field. As fiddlehead said, paper maps and compass are going the way of the sextant. Modern technology just does so much more.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!I just bought a new map the other day,eh eh eand it's already obsolete,ooooooh the Humanity.

Images

i like maps. occassionally ive run out of TP.

Images

and the batteries never die.

How very odd to find yourself reading something you posted almost a decade ago (see Post #11, above). Just for the record, I wouldn't change a word of it. The only reason NOT to carry maps is to save a few dollars or even a smaller handful of grams. These are both lousy reasons. Bottom line is that EVERYONE on the A.T. relies constantly on trail maps and folks use them every day.......except on three quarters of these occasions, these people are relying on maps that were paid for and are being carried by other people. I last witnessed this being done at the 311 road crossing near Catawba, around 15 minutes ago. But, yeah, it happens every day.

What is heavier....paper map or GPS?? If my map is water proof I got a spare rain fly..... If the sun sends out a flare my map still will work....

Quote Originally Posted by hikehunter View Post
    What is heavier....paper map or GPS?? If my map is water proof I got a spare rain fly..... If the sun sends out a flare my map still will work....
    ZERO. I carry an iPhone anyway. Dual use you know. I know, I know, you can help start a fire with your map. It is dual as well.

If it is dark/rainy/cloudy/tree-covered/or just an area without identifiable features, I know exactly where I am with tech. You have to wait for conditions to clear/improve, or guess.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 06-10-2012 at 00:28.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Your poll is obviously anti-map. Too bad because noobs can get the wrong general impression.

Ah, the impotence of maps. You have to roll the map up tightly before insertion; otherwise, it'll be all floppy and mostly useless

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++