WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How important are maps to you while hiking the AT?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    There is an iPhone app for the AT that will tell you exactly where you are on the trail. It will tell you how many TRAIL MILES to various landmarks (shelters, roads, etc). There are a few places with recent relocations where it will be off due to the app map not being updated. Odds of the paper map being updated to the relocations is even less.
    I totally understand ChinMusic, and I agree....my point being, I don't care what method someone uses, we as responsible adults need to be dang sure we know where we are....just simply stating to a 911 operator, I am on the AT and I need help may delay that help getting to you in a timely manner....

I have served my time in the USMC and one of my other hobbies is cave diving ......I personally don't believe in putting all of my faith in one device/method....the whole two is one, one is none mentality....
    TJ

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver256 View Post
    I personally don't believe in putting all of my faith in one device/method....the whole two is one, one is none mentality....
    I completely agree with this mentality, with the caveat that it depends on the hike. You can't screw around on the AT, and my phone doesn't always have service. That's why I intend on bringing my guide book with me whereever I go. Books and maps might be resistant to change, but at least they don't need a 3G connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Camping_Steve View Post
    Books and maps might be resistant to change, but at least they don't need a 3G connection.
    NONE of my AT apps or GPS apps require cell service for use on the trail. Download the map data prior to hitting the field.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++