WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ul Toothbrush

Default Ul Toothbrush

I was recently looking for a good toothbrush for my pack. It took me forever to find one. If anybody is looking to buy a babies toothbrush rather than modify an adult one, Babies-R-Us sells a real small infant's one. The only thing is, it is prepackaged with a big fat tube of orajel. Target had a slightly larger one with head that was closer in size to an adult's brush. Again, it comes prepackaged with orajel ($3.00 plus change).

I was able to find a small folding toothbrush packaged with a mini dental floss and mini toothpaste at one of our local pharmacies. The brush weighs under a half ounce, and comes with a plastic toothpick and tiny brush that would be good for cleaning between braces. I like it because the hollow handle folds over to protect the bristles of the brush.

I have a normal old travel toothbrush. But the more I use it at camp, the more I realize that the reason I got my pack weight down is so I can carry a few luxuries...like a full-sized toothbrush.

Hadn't thought of the baby one, though. If it's more convenient than the travel one I might check it out. Thanks for posting!

Sawed-off or little travel toothbrushes are a pain in the ass, and the idea of bringing a baby's or infant's toothbrush is ridiculous. Baby toothbrushes are for baby teeth. For heaven's sake, people, leave off with the weight obsession thing once in awhile. The world (or your hike) is not going to get hauled off to hell because you're packing an extra seven grams of toothbrush.

Thru' hiker one weekend at a time... vipahman's Avatar
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Sawed-off or little travel toothbrushes are a pain in the ass, and the idea of bringing a baby's or infant's toothbrush is ridiculous. Baby toothbrushes are for baby teeth. For heaven's sake, people, leave off with the weight obsession thing once in awhile. The world (or your hike) is not going to get hauled off to hell because you're packing an extra seven grams of toothbrush.
    But it is the gram that makes the kilo, the ounce that makes the pound. Stop being a gram weenie meanie.
    -Avi
    AT completed: NJ6-1, NY13-2, CT5-2

I cut the head off the toothbrush and epoxied it to the handle of my lexan spoon. I use one of those cheap plastic covers that only covers the head. Only added about 3 grams to my spoon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by arkwater View Post
    I cut the head off the toothbrush and epoxied it to the handle of my lexan spoon. I use one of those cheap plastic covers that only covers the head. Only added about 3 grams to my spoon.
    That just goes to show how weird hikers are.

My first thought after reading your post was to wonder if a few grams could be saved by glueing the spoon head to the end of the toothbrush instead.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I carry a child's toothbrush. It isn't for babies, but it's much smaller than my brush at home. For a few days (remember, I'm a section hiker) it isn't going to cause my teeth to fall out, and I'm of the mindset that every ounce does, indeed, count.

Some folks carry those fingertip brushes, but they aren't a real toothbrush. We sell them at Petco for dogs and cats, for Pete's sake!

In truth, I believe a couple of feet of floss will probably do you more good than any toothbrush. You could leave the thing at home altogether, but, in many cases, as in mine, it's more of a comfort thing.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Small toothbrushes are only a minor inconvenience for the 60 seconds or so that you actually use them each day. I'd rather that than carry around the extra bulk. Until now I was carrying a reg full size toothbrush in a full size toothbrush holder. Talk about overkill. It's just easier to carry smaller gear. Any weight savings is just gravy. I didn't get the baby brush, but was able to find a small straight handle adult brush that I can saw and keep inside a small ziplock bag.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know - I used a sawed off toothbrush and the end of it hurt my hand when brushing with it. It was ridiculous. And I didn't do a good job brushing either b/c of it. Nothing like risking a gum infection that can lead to other major problems (we had a friend who ended up with an infection in his heart b/c of a bad tooth).

I stick to full size. Oral B adult, medium head - which isn't that big, actually - and a travel size toothpaste in a sm ziploc. And I pack the dental floss.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

BTW - anyone use the "Clever" toothbrush - with paste in the handle? I got one at trail days that I think I will try.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    ...and a travel size toothpaste in a sm ziploc. And I pack the dental floss.
    To save a bit of weight - it all adds up - use Tom's Tooth Powder. Same thing as toothpaste, but w/o the water, comes in small bottle that can be further minimized. Has the advantage of being able to be in carryon baggage in airplanes, too.

As for dental floss, wrap it around something to eliminate the core, figure 1' per day. Then bring a darning needle and also use floss for emergency sewing repairs.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by trailale View Post
    Small toothbrushes are only a minor inconvenience for the 60 seconds or so that you actually use them each day. I'd rather that than carry around the extra bulk. Until now I was carrying a reg full size toothbrush in a full size toothbrush holder. Talk about overkill. It's just easier to carry smaller gear. Any weight savings is just gravy. I didn't get the baby brush, but was able to find a small straight handle adult brush that I can saw and keep inside a small ziplock bag.
    Agree wholeheartedly. I'm not exactly an ultralight hiker myself, but appreciate this forum because I am always looking to drop a little more weight from the pack as my knees get older and easier to hurt.

One reason I am not an ultralighter is that I carry a 2 lb word processor with me. The way I look at it is if I can cut 2 pounds from the rest of my gear the word processor weighs nothing.
    Frosty

BTW - anyone use the "Clever" toothbrush - with paste in the handle? I got one at trail days that I think I will try.
    I used one last year. I found it hard to open to fill, and then it would often come apart on its own. It finally broke in two on my section hike of the AT this past April & I said good riddance.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

I have the old boy scout type, made by Fuchs, that breaks apart and stores back into itself. It's probably not much lighter than a regular brush but it is compact. It also has a normal adult sized bristle head.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    One reason I am not an ultralighter is that I carry a 2 lb word processor with me. The way I look at it is if I can cut 2 pounds from the rest of my gear the word processor weighs nothing.
    Not to change the subject here, but if you're that dedicated to a journal or writing, why not go with something that weighs less and does more? hell, if you drop the 2lb word processor you could bring a full size toothbrush, some floss, mouth wash, the sink......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by twosticks View Post
    Not to change the subject here, but if you're that dedicated to a journal or writing, why not go with something that weighs less and does more? hell, if you drop the 2lb word processor you could bring a full size toothbrush, some floss, mouth wash, the sink......
    He was joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    He was joking.

No he's not.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...517#post253517

i have used one for several small trips. while it works, there are too many places for it to break in my opinon. and i see no weight savings really. i now carry a breakdown toothbrush i got from a boyscout store and a small container of toothpaste powder with dental floss wrapped aroudn it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by twosticks View Post
    I stand corrected.

Sounds a little excessive to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++