WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    the new book is probably all bull sht, just like Walk In The Woods.
    im not a fan of his work either....
    Doing What You Like Is Freedom , Liking What You Do Is Happiness

I'd much rather read a book written by a writer who hikes a little, vs. a book written by a hiker who writes a little. Most of the AT books I've read are no better than reading someones trail journal.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    I'd much rather read a book written by a writer who hikes a little, vs. a book written by a hiker who writes a little. Most of the AT books I've read are no better than reading someones trail journal.
    +1........
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    Most simply ARE someones trail journal.

Often mildly interesting until after the smokies, due to the writers steep initial learning curve. Once they kind of get into the hiking groove, boring. There is half dozen on my kindle, I simply couldnt finish.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-13-2014 at 20:50.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Three or four times post publication, I had to ooooo and aahhhhhh over Christmas gifts that I already had been given--yep, A Walk in the Woods. I did not want to enjoy it, but, until he got serious about environmental issues, I could be heard laughing out loud if anyone were around. What made me laugh? With the exception of the account of Katz's throwing away essentials, I could relate to every funny, embarrassing tale. Wes told me that he had advised Bill Bryson and "Katz" to stop hiking with the same group if he wanted stories to use, and Bryson followed his advise. Until then I thought that Katz had to be a composite of figments of Bryson's imagination.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++