WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Email, etc. on Trail

Greetings. I'm planning for my AT thru-hike next year, and I'm wondering what others are using for email access. I know about Pocketmail, but the downsides seem to be (1) device is fairly big, (2) technology seems outmoded, (3) based on what I've seen on the internet, it seems like the Pocketmail company may be slowly fading away. As for PDA's, etc., how do they hold up under trail conditions, has anyone used the fancy PDA/cell phone gizmos, what about battery life, etc.

I'd appreciate any experiences and recommendations, especially by folks who've used them on extended hikes and thru-hikes.

I know some purists think these things take away from the wilderness experience, but for those of us with family obligations, other commitments, etc. they are almost a necessity. Thanks in advance.
    Early Bird 2007

I'm curious as to why you think Pocketmail service is fading away or is going to end anytime soon?

While, it's true PDA's and cellphones have more modern technology, they cost more as does the service.

That said, most log on library, hote/motel or hostel computers and check their mail there.

I used the pocketmail last year.. thought is was great... Also asfor the PDA's and cell phones, you really can't get a signal that often.. Also pocketmail is a lot cheaper.. uses AA batteries, which can be used for something else too.. weighs about 8 oz. and goes in a ziplock. It also has a calendar and memo pad on it and a nice backlight. The keyboard is workable.. A PDA is not that useful on the trail in my opinion....

Default Reasons for my comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I'm curious as to why you think Pocketmail service is fading away or is going to end anytime soon?
    Wikipedia says Pocketmail use peaked in 2000, and has been going downhill since. (stuff on Wikipedia can't be taken as gospel, but it tends to be a good indicator)

If you look at the Pocketmail parent company's financials, it looks like they had a disasterous 2005, declining revenues, big net loss, etc. They then announced in early 2006 that they were selling the pocketmail business , but I haven't been able to find anything since then.

Not good signs.
    Early Bird 2007

Default email access on trail

Just get a web based email. Normally this is free. Then you can access email at libraries at most every town the trail passes through or near. You are going to go into town anyway.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Just get a web based email. Normally this is free. Then you can access email at libraries at most every town the trail passes through or near. You are going to go into town anyway.

David
    Libraries,internet cafes,lots on hiker friendly motels and hostels and outfitters.

The AT Hiker Formerly Known as MASH
    Images

I finished with a Palm Tungsten T|X, with an onboard wifi card and a collapsible laptop keyboard. The setup weighed about 15 oz.

I basically wrote stuff on the palm, then when I got to town I scragged up a wifi hotspot somewhere. You'd be surprised at how many hotspots there are, even in a podunk little town like Pearisburg.

Images

leave those gadgets at home, and check your mail in town.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Images

I agree that Pocketmail will slowly fade into obscurity. It seems like the only people using it are AT thru-hikers, and the only reason for that is because so many previous hikers used it and talk about it on web sites like this. Sort of a self perpetuating thing. Pocketmail was the Cat's A** about five-six years ago, but it has been surpassed by newer and better technology. PDA's are too heavy and/or bulky in my opinion. Cell phones are the way to go. Like you, Jimhfoster, I will be hiking next year and I have been looking into ways to send E-Mail from the trail to keep in touch with the family. I was in the Verizon store the other day looking at a phone called the "LG VX9800". It is a little bigger than the cell phone I have now, but it flips open to reveal a qwerty keyboard and good sized screen. It is capable of accessing Hotmail and Yahoo mail along with a lot of other stuff. You can even get the latest weather forecasts and satelite pictures. It weighs about 5.5 ounces. I am leaning strongly towards purchasing it for my hike. It will allow me to keep in touch in a number of ways, and since I carry a cell phone anyway (I have no land line) this would be a logical and useful upgrade. Oh, wait....I hear something....it's someone saying that you won't get reception on the trail. That is pure Bull*****! I think the folks who argue about no cell signal have never tried to use a cell phone on the trail. I have used my cell everywhere I have been on the AT (VA, WV, NH, ME) just to prove I can. I have always gotten a signal, even in out of the way places like the Mahoosucs. If you use Verizon Wireless you can get cell reception at both ends of Mahoosuc Notch!!!(I didn't stop to try it in the middle of the Notch) If you are thinking of going the cell phone/pda route, don't worry about getting a signal. We are rapidly becoming a wireless nation.

Images

http://wsf1.letstalk.com/product/product.htm?prId=30926 Try this link. I messed up the link in the previous post. It was my first time trying to put a web link into one of my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Undershaft View Post
    I agree that Pocketmail will slowly fade into obscurity. It seems like the only people using it are AT thru-hikers, and the only reason for that is because so many previous hikers used it and talk about it on web sites like this.
    I don't know anything about Pocketmail use fading, but hikers aren't the entire center of the Pocketmail universe. The device is popular with another mobile crowd, full-time RV-ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    I don't know anything about Pocketmail use fading, but hikers aren't the entire center of the Pocketmail universe. The device is popular with another mobile crowd, full-time RV-ers.
    And while certainly a smaller demographic, I see alot of positive Pocketmail commentary on writers' websites. It's an easy thing for a writer to toss into a suitcase or purse, and functions as an electronic notebook - easy to download text, saves retyping.

Point being, it's not an exclusive hiker thing.

If PM is going downhill, I'd attribute it to poor customer service.

Default What is it Worth

My wife, Dandelion and I just finished the AT on October 7th. We carried a pocketmail mostly for updating our trail journal and we also carried a Cingular Palm Treo. We could share the weight and for us it was worth the weight, Some people will not agree but for us it was a great tool. I also found I had service about 70 percent of the time and after Virginia closer to 90 percent of the time even in the 100 mile wilderness. Also with a Treo you can get on line and research towns before you arrice, or find shuttles online. We would even find pizza places that would deliver to random spots along the trail and could map quest the info as well. As for battery life our phone only died one time. I would always charge it every chance I got, so for us it was totally worth it.

Social

It's a matter of opinion, but in mine, hikers tend to be frugal, and as such, many would prefer to pay less for service to transmit email than a web capable smart phone or PDA. Atleast I would and can wait until town to use an email device or town computer.

Images

Not to conradict you Jan, but none of the RVers I've met (8 retired relatives and their RVing friends) have even heard about Pocketmail. They all have laptops with wi-fi. Weight and space are not an issue when traveling the country in a 35 ft. motorhome or camper. Many campgrounds and RV parks now offer free wireless internet connections as part of the ammenities. It brings in business from Rvers like my parents. Sly: you have a good point about hikers being frugal, but most hikers own cell phones in the real world(whether they carry them on the trail or not). Most cell phones require a one or two year contract. If you are paying for phone service anyway, why not get a phone that can send and recieve E-Mail as well as calls? All I'm saying is a phone doesn't have to weigh more than a pocketmail device and is capable of doing everything Pocketmail does and a whole lot more. If you choose to carry an electronic device on the trail, why not carry the one with the most capabilities?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Social View Post
    My wife, Dandelion and I just finished the AT on October 7th. We carried a pocketmail mostly for updating our trail journal and we also carried a Cingular Palm Treo. We could share the weight and for us it was worth the weight, Some people will not agree but for us it was a great tool. I also found I had service about 70 percent of the time and after Virginia closer to 90 percent of the time even in the 100 mile wilderness. Also with a Treo you can get on line and research towns before you arrice, or find shuttles online. We would even find pizza places that would deliver to random spots along the trail and could map quest the info as well. As for battery life our phone only died one time. I would always charge it every chance I got, so for us it was totally worth it.

Social
    welcome to WB Social! And congrats for completing your hike. Thanks for posting this information. I viewed your journal often because it was well written and updated almost daily. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Images

Why walk 2000 miles when you can drive that distance in a couple of days?
    Why post to this thread when you don't have anything useful to say? Jim asked specific questions and I (and Mogilews, Social, et al.) provided some information on the subject. It is a subject that I am familiar with because I have been researching it for a while now. Jim and I are in the same situation; we both have a desire and need to send E-Mail from the trail. I provided some concrete information and facts. All you provided us with, Boston, was a rhetorical question.

Jim: If you are thinking about going the PDA/Smartphone route don't worry too much about battery life. Most electronic devices of that nature have proprietary battery systems in them that are very efficient. It is in the manufacturers best interest to give their device the longest power duration possible. With intermittant use (ie:turn device on, compose and send message, turn device off) the battery life will easily surpass the amount of food you can carry. In other words the battery will not die before you have a chance to recharge it in town. AC chargers take up very little space and only weigh an ounce or two, so there is no need to mail the charger ahead in a bounce box. I hope this has been helpful to you.

++ New Posts ++