WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Prospective Hammocker.... maby...

I have been looking into using a hammock, and i figured that they would work great on solo trips however most of time I'm backpacking w/ my girlfriend, and we hate sleeping separately, so we haven't converted away from ground dwelling.
    What i would like to ask is if there is anyone out there who has seen/used a comfortable two person set up? Better yet if anyone has any ideas for a homebrew set up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    thank you very much

Check in with Ed Speer. He and his girlfriend Pog have a side-by side steup, I think. Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but a place to start.

I usually hang side-by-side with my kids. Close enough to touch them at night but not really snuggling. I guess if the trees were thin enough we could make snuggling work but we'd still be in separate hammocks.

Pics of Ed and Karen's setup here:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPict...otSprings.html
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesHotSprings.html

I've only heard of one couple that was comfortable sleeping in the same hammock. Certainly worth a try...you'd always have a big hammock for lounging around in if it doesn't work out.

I've read that whole families sleep in the same huge hammock in South America. I'm pretty sure I couldn't sleep that way!

Images

I think it'd feel like a pile of lemmings...

Yeah. Probably better not to ask
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Images

Sounds like a good way to stay warm to me!!

Eagles Nest (eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com) makes a double hammock that you might look at, but I'd imagine two in the same hammock is restrictive. I'd love it if my wife went out with me, and if she did, I think I'd choose a tent.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

I just got my HH and my wife asked the same question and I told her that from now on when we go out car camping that she gets to sleep with our son in the tent while I hang. I figure this is the only chance that I'll get where she won't be able to steal my covers in the middle of the night!
    Official Star Schlep Crew Member

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Met a young couple at Trail Days 2006 that were using an Eagles Nest double...They demoed it and looked quite comfortable... not as slammed together as I would have immagined...

FWIW they were seeking solutions to the cool bottom from Pete at ENO...He sent them to us at JRB... we spent some time fitting quilts ... all models fit and they went on with two Shenandoahs, summer models.

Pan

PS Added... they were trim. and in early 20s.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Sounds like a good way to stay warm to me!!

Eagles Nest (eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com) makes a double hammock that you might look at, but I'd imagine two in the same hammock is restrictive. I'd love it if my wife went out with me, and if she did, I think I'd choose a tent.
    I took a look at that one and it looks promissing, i'll be ordering one next pay check.

In the meantime i was thinking of modeifieing Risk's test hammock desine to hold two people. basicly doubeling the width of it, and folding it so that the center fold is almost as high as the walls.... ehh well will see. figure i have a 100yd bolt of canvase i have nothing better to do with so might as well experamnet. though if the eagle next hammock works out well, we will more then likely use that because i'm not sure how much she trust my sewing.

well i'll post more when i have time

thank you all

Well, you might want to see how both of you do at night, or whenever, when hiking. We found our tent a little claustrophobic and sweaty. Extra-curricular activities were more fun and feasible elsewhere.

I suspect 2 hammocks and a large tarp would help in general. There are some things very enjoyable with a hammock (leave that to your imagination on this family friendly site). You both will awaken refreshed and with comfortable backs, ready to face the world or each other!

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

If you do not have enough room you could add side tie outs like the HH models. I also believe Hennessy Hammocks has I 2 person model.

One thing to consider is the forces 2 people will excert of the trees. Make sure you have a strong healthy tree. Depending on the model and how it is hung, you could excert 1000+ pounds of force on the trees. One your homemade model, make sure you use strong enough straps or rope.

:banana

well i have a prototype made from canvase (way to heavy for packing i'll make the real one out of ripstop some something like that, any favorets out there?) and i used some thick nylon strapping to hang it with. seems to work fairly well used some of the side tie outs, and that gives us a nice area to lounge around it and does not smush us togeather. Even better yet my silnylon tarp fits almost perfectly over it (one less thing i have to make) i'll compair this w/ the Eaglesnest desine when i get around to getting it.

All that is left to do now is to fit on a mosquito net and conviece my sweety to do a night in the back yard in it

pictures! I'm not understanding the center fold thing.
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

I think he's talking about the "W" whipping here.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockWhipping.html

oh, right. Thanks Jeff. But we still need to see some pics!

TH
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

++ New Posts ++