WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Brancher,

I carried the Atmos 50 from Damascus till trails end up on MT K. Yes I did have an issue with the mesh material (both back and waist belt areas). I contacted the Atmos company and they mailed me a new pack while on the trail ( Fort Montgomery post office, NY). I sent the old pack back to them when I switched them out. When I reached the top of MT K, I noticed the frame was broken on the newer pack. Not that I put in too much weight, I put in too much stuff. I called the company again and they sent me a second pack when I returned home (plus I sent the old one back again). This one had a different type of mesh material and though not trail proven yet, it looks and feels much stronger. I am considering taking the 50 on this Spring's PCT attempt, problem is the volume may be too small once again (a water volume and water weight issue through the Desert). The 65 may be what I need so I will look into it. This way I can carry a Bear canister when needed/required. I do have the Osprey Aether 75 as well but, its too big. The 75 is my winter pack (big and able to carry a load).

As far as sweating goes, there is no way to avoid it. The mesh area does help but it still gets a little funky. One evening I had hundreds of one inch black ants move in to the back mesh area, they kept showing up all day long running across my face as I went north. It was hard to get them out of there. Ah the memories.....

What ever you or anyone who reads this post chooses, just make sure you are measured and fitted correctly. For me the Osprey system carries well. Good luck and enjoy. Wilderness Bob

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness bob View Post
    Brancher,

I carried the Atmos 50 from Damascus till trails end up on MT K. Yes I did have an issue with the mesh material (both back and waist belt areas). I contacted the Atmos company and they mailed me a new pack while on the trail ( Fort Montgomery post office, NY). I sent the old pack back to them when I switched them out. When I reached the top of MT K, I noticed the frame was broken on the newer pack. Not that I put in too much weight, I put in too much stuff. I called the company again and they sent me a second pack when I returned home (plus I sent the old one back again). This one had a different type of mesh material and though not trail proven yet, it looks and feels much stronger. I am considering taking the 50 on this Spring's PCT attempt, problem is the volume may be too small once again (a water volume and water weight issue through the Desert). The 65 may be what I need so I will look into it. This way I can carry a Bear canister when needed/required. I do have the Osprey Aether 75 as well but, its too big. The 75 is my winter pack (big and able to carry a load).

As far as sweating goes, there is no way to avoid it. The mesh area does help but it still gets a little funky. One evening I had hundreds of one inch black ants move in to the back mesh area, they kept showing up all day long running across my face as I went north. It was hard to get them out of there. Ah the memories.....

What ever you or anyone who reads this post chooses, just make sure you are measured and fitted correctly. For me the Osprey system carries well. Good luck and enjoy. Wilderness Bob
    Thanks (and just as I suspected). Not that the Atmos is a gimmick, on the contrary Osprey is a great company. And for sure, the idea of the mesh solution is an attractive one, especially with the H2O space up there near your back.

But the last thing I want is something that's gonna fall apart. My Kelty Satori works well and is my winter / big-load 'go to' pack, but I even have some thoughts about shoulder strap joints, etc, on that one. THe remedy is, of curse, to make sure the weight is on the hips and not the shoulders to minimize long-term stress.

Anyway, I think the Atmos is a great pack, and the 65 is the exact size I'm looking for - as is the Nimbus Meridian. But I wish I could find a side-by-side comparison. No GG dealers here in my area. I called GG, they say I should try an online distributor.

btw, I've tried to pack a 50 with my stuff, and it don't work for me. I agree with you that the 65 is the pack for you - the little extra weight couldn't make that much difference....

Thanks for the input and I'll keep searching.

I just spent my first weekend out with my new Atmos 65. All I can say is "wow". Although it was a colder than average weekend, as we all know, hiking up and down big hills will bring on the sweat anyways. The mesh backing was incredible. The air circulating around my back was fantastic, only to be outdone by the comfort and convienence of the pack itself. 5 stars for the Atmos 65

I went to my local outfitter today with all my gear so I could try on this new pack. Everything fit real well, including 10 pounds of food. It seemed like a good design. However, the torso length was totally wrong for me. Too bad. I really liked it otherwise.

But, it brings up the old point that there is no substitute for trying out backpacks filled with your own gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    However, the torso length was totally wrong for me. Too bad.
    What do you mean? Dont they have different sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by floyd242 View Post
    What do you mean? Dont they have different sizes?
    They do. Perhaps I'm just in between sizes. Anyway, it wasn't that bad a fit. I might get it anyway.

Section Hiker

Brancher,
    I very much appreciate the Kelty Satori. It's failure resulted in the purchase of an Aether 60 a few years ago. I tried the Granite Gear - very comfortable, but the lack of features, such as outside pockets, didn't suit me.

I enjoyed the Satori for several years, did many a trip with it. I loved the modular features, the lighter weight ahead of its time. I stripped it down for a climb of Mt. Ranier and all was good.

Then I did a checkout hike with the Satori before my annual AT section hike. I had about 35 lb in it, did a quick run up Blood Mtn, spent the night. Next morning I returned to the car. As I swung the pack off my shoulders onto the ground, a shoulder strap tore away from the webbing attached to the pack. My hike was only a week away - no time to waste. To cut the story short, Kelty Support (actually they use Summit Hut) refused to overnight a new strap, even when I was willing to pay UPS 2 Day Air. So as not to be caught short, I tried a few packs at REI (including GG), bought the Aether 60. Ironically, as I was packing the truck for the trip, the UPS guy pulls up with a box from Kelty. I couldn't help but laugh. I opened the box, only to find a WAIST BELT for a TIOGA - the original Kelty frame pack of fame! Kelty ain't the company it used to be! Good thing I had the Aether 60 as a backup, eh! I hope your Satori lasts longer than mine did.

Some people bad mouth REI (I shop at Mountain Crossings in Neels Gap for UL), but here is why I shop there for big ticket items: They refunded me for the well used, 4 year old Satori - I bought the Aether 60 and had $12 left over! I wasn't going to return the Satori, but the guy who helped me insisted - that's awesome service. The same REI guy later told me it was one of the first packs to go at the Scatch and Dent sale. However, no one bought the Tioga hip belt!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Drala Hiker View Post
    Brancher,
    I very much appreciate the Kelty Satori. It's failure resulted in the purchase of an Aether 60 a few years ago. I tried the Granite Gear - very comfortable, but the lack of features, such as outside pockets, didn't suit me.

I enjoyed the Satori for several years, did many a trip with it. I loved the modular features, the lighter weight ahead of its time. I stripped it down for a climb of Mt. Ranier and all was good.

Then I did a checkout hike with the Satori before my annual AT section hike. I had about 35 lb in it, did a quick run up Blood Mtn, spent the night. Next morning I returned to the car. As I swung the pack off my shoulders onto the ground, a shoulder strap tore away from the webbing attached to the pack. My hike was only a week away - no time to waste. To cut the story short, Kelty Support (actually they use Summit Hut) refused to overnight a new strap, even when I was willing to pay UPS 2 Day Air. So as not to be caught short, I tried a few packs at REI (including GG), bought the Aether 60. Ironically, as I was packing the truck for the trip, the UPS guy pulls up with a box from Kelty. I couldn't help but laugh. I opened the box, only to find a WAIST BELT for a TIOGA - the original Kelty frame pack of fame! Kelty ain't the company it used to be! Good thing I had the Aether 60 as a backup, eh! I hope your Satori lasts longer than mine did.

Some people bad mouth REI (I shop at Mountain Crossings in Neels Gap for UL), but here is why I shop there for big ticket items: They refunded me for the well used, 4 year old Satori - I bought the Aether 60 and had $12 left over! I wasn't going to return the Satori, but the guy who helped me insisted - that's awesome service. The same REI guy later told me it was one of the first packs to go at the Scatch and Dent sale. However, no one bought the Tioga hip belt!
    That's an incredible story - especially the part about REI taking the return. I've used my Satori extensively - section hikes, loong weekenders in REAL backcountry (like Kilmer, Dolly Sods, etc), and I've really put it thru he11. But it's the 5500, which comes down to probably 4600 without the side sacs, and over the past few years I only need that much space in January-March or so (winter).

I have actually looked for a Satori 4500 (the red one), but they are not around anymore - I think the Shadow replaced it. I am curious how a Satori shoulder strap could be replaced, since it is sewn into the webbing - if it rips out, seems like yer out of business. Guess I could always cinch down the compression straps on the Satori for spring/summer, but it's still too roomy for my present needs - loses form, lid gets hung, etc. And, there's the strap thing. Mind you, my strap hasn't broken yet. But I don't want it to, either. I walked with a guy once with a broken G4 - he was miserable!

Anyway, when I tried on the GG Nimbus, I immediately appreciated the frame and suspension, and I decided that this was to be my next 'go-to' pack (again, I love my Keltys, including my old Trekker that I just replaced the shoulder straps on, but, you know....). For me and my profile, the GG works better than the Osprey line.

I still think it's a shame the Satori didn't last, but I'm glad GG is making inroads.

br

Got a 65 for Christmas, best pack I have ever put on my back

Images

I'm not sure about this "limited" business. The shop I work at in NY has had them for a few months now, and they've been well recieved. The frame is a bit stronger than with the 50, and enables you to carry a bit more weight (around 40+lbs). The sleeping bag compartment was a welcome addition.

I've never tried on the GG Meridian, but I'd have to guess it'd hold up better over the long run than the Atmos 65. At the trade show this summer, Granite Gr was advertising a Meridian pack carried for over 8000 miles by Trauma, who was triple crowning. The pack was still in suprisingly good shape for the obscene amount of miles put on it. I doubt the Atmos would stand up to that much use, but who knows...

I still think Osprey has the best thing going with the hip belt pockets, and wonder why all other companies haven't adopted this great feature.
    Granite Gear or Osprey, you can't go wrong. Both are great, small companies who are quite intune with the thru-hiker/lightweight market.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default questions

i have no (easy) access to rei, and my local outfitter doesn't stock gg or osprey, so i need your help on this ...

1. how do you think the atmos 65 would compress, for those times i wouldn't need 4,000 c.i.? i guess the 50 measures around 3,000?

2. what are the side pockets like? my daughter has an aether 45 and, while she loves the pack, the side pockets are (imho) useless for anything larger than #10 business envelopes ... unstamped.

3. i guess i have the same question about the nimbus ozone (3,800?) on compression.

4. and on the gg, is it true that you can slide a bladder behind the back panel? sounds convenient, but potentially annoying, moreso with more water ...

5. sorry to add a question, but here goes ... the osprey 65 looks kind of hourglass-shaped, making me think it would be tough to unroll a pad inside ...

thanks.
    Last edited by copythat; 01-11-2007 at 00:55. Reason: added question #5
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

I'm a stranger here myself... Skipper the Eyechild's Avatar

Does anyone know if the Atmos 65 will be avaliable at all outside the US? I can't find it avaliable on any UK supplier's site. Come to that, does anyone know of any UK stores that sell predominantly "American" designs and brands - I seem only to come across brands that go unmentioned on these forums. I fear I may have to buy most of my equipment from US sites and have it shipped over here, only to take it all back over come March time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper the Eyechild View Post
    Does anyone know if the Atmos 65 will be avaliable at all outside the US? I can't find it avaliable on any UK supplier's site. Come to that, does anyone know of any UK stores that sell predominantly "American" designs and brands - I seem only to come across brands that go unmentioned on these forums. I fear I may have to buy most of my equipment from US sites and have it shipped over here, only to take it all back over come March time.

osprey's website is a tad finicky lately, returning java errors in pairs, so i copied this for you ...

"Osprey US Customer Service is open from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, Mountain Time. Call 970-564-5900 and one of our expert customer service folks will get back to you.* We pride ourselves on providing real help from real people.

Or if you need to contact us in off-hours or prefer email contact us at [email protected] and a real person will get right back to you!"
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

I bought an Osprey Aether 60 a year ago because I read that JacK Tarlin said it was a great choice. I use it and I like it. Thanks, Baltimore Jack.
    Sandalwood

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

Default Aether 70

Does anyone have one of these or can you tell me if you like the pack. REI by me has just got them in stock and I have been looking at them.

Any info please

LB
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by little bear View Post
    Does anyone have one of these or can you tell me if you like the pack. REI by me has just got them in stock and I have been looking at them.
    I tried one on at REI and I really did like the way it felt on my back. But I wasn't that impressed with the actual design and construction of the pack -- ie., the load-carrying part. Just my two cents.

Ooops: My comment is in regard to the Osprey Atmos 65. Sorry.

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

lol thanks for responding, yeah I wasnt as happy with the Atmos 65 as I was with the Aether 70.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Wow, what a great idea.

I've fitted dozens of people into the Atmos 50, and I've run into lots of these folks hundreds of miles later on down the Trail; everyone really loved this pack, tho many folks expressed the desire that it was just a bit bigger, in order to hold more gear, and have less stuff hanging off the outside.

Going to 65 liters will do the trick, I think.

This pack is going to be VERY popular.
    Jack,

Are the hipbelts fixed (vertically) or are they velcroed, or some other way, held in place?

I looked at these a while back but do not remember. The guy from China that posted he didn't have a good fit sparked my curiosity. Seems as long as he bought within the torso range, he should be able to adjust.

Images

The shoulder straps and hip belt are sewn in place and not adjustable for torso length.

Default Atmos 50 Weigh limit

I tried on the Atmos 50 and 65 and found the 50 more comfortable with the same weight - must be due to fact the weight was closer to my back in the 50 (it is smaller). I tried to use the compression to get it right and could not. I purchased an Atmos 50 for multiday AT hike and loved it until my young son needed me to carry his gear up the last 1000 feet after a hard day. When overloaded (above 30 lb) the Atmos 50 has real problems. The stays flexed as I scrambled over rocks and beat the heck out of my shoulders. Since the Atmos 65 has the same suspension I expect it to have problems as well. While I love the Atmos 50 due to its great ventilation and lightweight, I wish I had given up <2 lbm and gotten an Aether. If you know you will always carry less than 30 lb then the Atmos is the way to go. With 3 small kids, I know I will have to be the mule sometimes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++