WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that, but the AT is on public land. If I sat at a shelter or trailhead trying to covert everyone to Islam I think you'd think dfferently.

First, they are not the only organization that does this on "public land"......

Outfitters, hostels, restaurants, etc...commonly do it. So why is this any different?

Guess you've never heard that nothing in life is for free.....

Secondly, if you were doing this to convert people to Islam, I would have no problem with it.....knock yourself out.

Thirdly, there is no such thing as "freedom from religion". Your freedom is that you can have a religion or not. Just as your "freedom of speech" is not the "freedom to be heard", because we don't have to listen to you.....

Like I said......eat/drink their food, or pass on by......your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    If a conservation group set up some trail magic to discuss LNT with hikers or a trail maintenance group set up some trail magic to recruit volunteers, would we be discussing if it was OK? The point is I don’t think it is automatically right or wrong because they are offering spiritual guidance along with coffee and donuts as long as they do it in a way that does not detract from the experience of those who don’t want to be guided.
    Absolutely, FD.
    Freedom of speech and freedom of religion; people are entitled to discuss their own interests. No big deal.
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" - Briscoe Darling

I personally dislike anyone pressuring me against my will to listen to or convert me to their beliefs when it comes to religions, but it sounds like these hikers are nice and not doing that? I am sure they would also want you to take part of their offerings even if you are not interested in their preachings ?(I hope so for their sake or they will get the Lone Wolf reply if they dont, lol) I dont mind some conversation or debate about any subject anywhere as long as it is objective on both sides, just dont pressure me and I will be fine, but I personally dont like to be put in that situation on the trail as I go there to get away from such. But looking at the big picture, most of these folks have good intentions and after all they are hiking their hike and feeling the need to convert those along the way is part of their hike, so I will respect it but I will agree to use the 3 strikes you`re out method as posted by Jack done in a civil manner of course.

RAT

First, they are not the only organization that does this on "public land"......

Outfitters, hostels, restaurants, etc...commonly do it. So why is this any different?

Outfitters, hostels and restaurants set up on the AT? New one to me...

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    ... proselytizing ...
    What an awesome word!
    Frosty

Outfitters, hostels and restaurants set up on the AT? New one to me...

Are you saying they don't set up "trail magic" points....if so, I guess it is a new one to you....

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    But I'd still like to hear fron an '06 hiker who hiked with these folks.
    I hiked with Craig and Suzy Miles a little. Not much. But I first met them at the '05 Trail Days. They had a trailer with free showers set up across from L Wolf's house. They were also at the SoRuck this past January. Slept in their truck if I recall correctly.

Very nice people. We never talked about religion, just hiking. I have been around people who talk about it a lot, and I usually just murmur politely (never argue), but as I say, Craig and Suzy and I just talked hiking and gear.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    Are you saying they don't set up "trail magic" points....if so, I guess it is a new one to you....
    New to me too. What's a magic point?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    Nope, I never heard of any outfitter, hostel or restaurant setting up on the trail. Have an example?

Before you said nothing is for free, it seems AT Servants rely strictly on donations, that's about as free as it gets. Most people take their hard earned cash to hike the trail, even charity hikers.

Nope, I never heard of any outfitter, hostel or restaurant setting up on the trail. Have an example?
    In 2000, EMS was involved in a trail magic day just south of Manchester Center. It was on the trail in a field. I heard it was done in subsequent years too. I believe Teej is familiar.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    In 2000, EMS was involved in a trail magic day just south of Manchester Center. It was on the trail in a field. I heard it was done in subsequent years too. I believe Teej is familiar.
    Well, I'd be surprised if they did it without a permit. Certainly you're not suggesting any org be able to set up as they please. I can see why the ATC addressed the issue recently at the Gathering.

Whatever, gentlemen......

Either accept the gifted food or walk away......'nuf said.

Have a great life

In Pagosa Springs? That guy gets around!
    Not out west yet. A couple of blocks down is Airline Dr., here in Metairie. Was well known for its 'walkers back when.

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    Its a nice town to hitch into from Wolf Creek Pass. I have done it more than once, even. It has everything! I just didnt know it had the other thing you were referring too....
    They will have a Walmart before long.

You will have to stop by next time highway; I'll bet you have some stories to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    They will have a Walmart before long.
    There goes the neighborhood...

Pagosa Springs is cool. I had an bad tooth when I got there and finally found a dentist that would take me. I explained I was hiking the trail and only wanted some pain killers and antibiotics, that I needed to get back on the trail and I'd get it pulled in Lake City. Well, he examined me, took x-rays and wrote out the scripts. When I went to pay the nurse said there was no charge!

After I took the antibiotics the pain went away and I never did get it pulled. I had the pain killers the entire hike just in case.

Pagosa Springs is cool. I had an bad tooth when I got there and finally found a dentist that would take me. I explained I was hiking the trail and only wanted some pain killers and antibiotics, that I needed to get back on the trail and I'd get it pulled in Lake City. Well, he examined me, took x-rays and wrote out the scripts. When I went to pay the nurse said there was no charge!

After I took the antibiotics the pain went away and I never did get it pulled. I had the pain killers the entire hike just in case.
    Great story Sly. My kinda town. Hope to see ya in the hood.

Images

I had the same thing happen to me!

Apparently a tooth can get an infection on occasion and not have anything fundamentally wrong with it. My regular Dentist seemed really disappointed.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me!

Apparently a tooth can get an infection on occasion and not have anything fundamentally wrong with it. My regular Dentist seemed really disappointed.
    Yeah well, that was 5 years ago. Now I'm in line to see the Denturist! After that I'll be all...

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    There's a reason the missionaries often got strung up and gutted by the natives...
    And now you know what the cables strung between the trees are really for!

Images

....Now I'm in line to see the Denturist! After that I'll be all...
    Same here.

My disappointed Dentist was able to convert me to the Gospel of regular check-ups notwithstanding the fact that I've had one cavity in the last 25 years.

I'm scheduled the day before Thanksgiving but I made it clear that any turkey-threatening procedures will be scheduled at a later time!

[sigh ]I'm not sure I care for this aging gig.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++