WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    So I guess if someone from the KKK was hiking the trail trying to convert people it would be OK since in his heart he feels it's for the best?
    Yes, it would be OK. It's a public place, and he's as free to do that as those of us who want to promose, say, "no trace" backpacking ethics. And the rest of us are just as free to ignore her as we are to ignore anyone else. That's why it's called a "free country."

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    They make it clear that they are a Christian family.

They say a brief prayer at breakfast.

And that's about it. They don't preach, they don't tell their guests that they are heading to hell, and they sure don't take people into their home with the primary purpose being saving their souls.

They are fine people.

And as for taking part in saying Grace when you're a guest in someone's home, there's no need to "gracefully" back out of participating. It is something done as a courtesy to your hosts. And even if they invoke the name of a religious figure you don't personally worship, or if they refer to God by another name, it's no big deal. After all, the calls all end up in the same place.

Comparing the saying of a simple prayer of thanks at mealtimes to telling one's guests that they're fated for eternal damnation are two VERY different things.
    Totally agree. While I really didn't feel like participating, I did, and in retrospect look at it as just another diversity of the Trail. No foul. Gary and Lenny are fine people.

As a Christian and a hiker, I think that one's faith and spirituality is an intensely personal matter.

Setting a good example in one's life and helping others is admirable. Actively preaching and proselytizing others while on the Trail is less so.
    well said.

I got enough religion groups knocking on my door here in Phoenix. I don't want any more door knocking on the trail.

I am christian and I have 100% belief in Creator and the problem is that, people have different understandings and perspectives.

Do's and Don'ts

Do...

Offer free meals and drinks at any places, including churches.
    Offer free bible studies or gatherings at any places, including churches.
    Tell them where they will be taken to.

Don't...

Bait and switch in purpose to preach
    Preach to everyone on trail.
    Leave bibles and your religion materials on trail or at trail shelters. *I believe in Christian but just it's turn off that you persuade others to believe in your group, not others* *Also, it violate leave no trace policy*

Other than that, preach friendly. Don't come over and knock on their doors.

Happy Hiking

Flash Hand

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Yes, it would be OK. It's a public place, and he's as free to do that as those of us who want to promose, say, "no trace" backpacking ethics. And the rest of us are just as free to ignore her as we are to ignore anyone else. That's why it's called a "free country."

The Weasel

Big difference between legal and "OK".

Think Michael Richards.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    In other words, to demonstrate what a jerk you can be. Great accomplishment.

The Weasel
    Lighten up boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    And all along I had heard that it was paved with stuffed dogs.
    As far as the "fishers of men" reference goes, think about how the fish feel, and my view of the issue makes sense. Ouch!

Folks who do good works out of the goodness of their hearts (and will discuss their religion if you ask)? A-OK with me, top notch people living the life.

People who justify snaring people on the basis of the greater good? Not so much.

Lone Wolf? Priceless

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Christian hikers...

You Go Craig & Suzy!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

They make it clear that they are a Christian family.

They say a brief prayer at breakfast.

And that's about it. They don't preach, they don't tell their guests that they are heading to hell, and they sure don't take people into their home with the primary purpose being saving their souls.

They are fine people.

And as for taking part in saying Grace when you're a guest in someone's home, there's no need to "gracefully" back out of participating. It is something done as a courtesy to your hosts. And even if they invoke the name of a religious figure you don't personally worship, or if they refer to God by another name, it's no big deal. After all, the calls all end up in the same place.

Comparing the saying of a simple prayer of thanks at mealtimes to telling one's guests that they're fated for eternal damnation are two VERY different things.
    yes the calls end up in the same place.."i'm sorry your call did not go thru please check your number and try again later"
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Just stirring it up a bit more here.

How do y'all feel about the Blueberry Patch Hostel in Georgia. There is a definite religious flavor to it, especially at breakfast when they do the prayer circle thing. Kind of hard to back out of that gracefully once you're at the table.

Great place! Great folks! Fond memories!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Again, if you have me as aguest in your house, I am willing to entertain whatever topic you prefer as a dinner table discussion. If you want to tell me how great your particular brand of jesus is, what's the big deal? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to hell, but if you think so, so what. What if the topic was education and you told me I'd get a better job if I went to a different school, and I disagreed. Should I be offended by yoiur audacity to bring up such a topic? Whats the big deal? It's just talk. If I got picked up by the spanish inquisistion and put on the rack after dinner till I confessed and repented I'd see the point of being offended. What happens on the trail involving pie and jesus just doesn't rate that level of offense.

Images

Great post bfitz. Well put.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    For me, I look at it this way...

WWJD...?

WWJDD?

http://www.redsoxdiehard.com/features/pics/wwjdd.jpg

(More like Judas now-a-days, though..sigh..)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15
++ New Posts ++