WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Any Unitarian Universalists here? I went to a UU church last nite. Seems cool.

Images

I don't know a lot about U.U., Wolf, but I can think of a couple advantages you might like about it:

-They're pretty loose about creeds, etc.
    -You apparently were able to enter and exit the structure without the roof trusses collapsing.

I'll refrain from listing the disadvantages.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Man.... I miss those. Long live "Cookie Puss"!
    http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0827/

It was just the coolest to have a Carvel ice cream cake for the birthday...
    Me too. Although not my favorite, don't forget Fudgie the Whale.

My Dad used to pretend that the car was taking control and drive me into the Carvel parking lot. He'd fight with the steering wheel .
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I had a paper route in my early teens. and Carvel was a regular stop on my route.

Yeah, Cookiepuss rocked. Never had Fudgie the Whale, though I imagine I would have loved him. Mmmmmmmmm... fudge.

Sheesh, 9AM and I'm already thinking about ice cream cake.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    The Unitarians are the only church I've ever been tempted to join. I figure if it was okay for Emerson, it might serve my needs. But no UU ever asked me to join so I was able to resist the temptation.

Well, at the age of 14 I and a brother took special lessions from a Baptist Minister so we could be baptised with the rest of the Sunday School class we had once attended. After one session, my brother remarked, "I wish you wouldn't look so skeptical when the minister is talking."

Luckily, a few weeks later, the minister divorced his wife, resigned his church, and married a wealthy parishioner, so that temptation also was removed.

Weary
    Last edited by weary; 11-16-2006 at 10:39.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    no religeon and no politics...so now let them be spoken. Dont discuss religeon or politics on the trail--and that includes shelters.
    And gear talk, ....and the 2nd Amendment discussions,....and how many miles you did today,....and Iraq, ...and other people's gear choices,....and cellphone usage,...and the Civil War,....and whether you're a whiteblaze purist or not,.....is your truck Chevy or Ford,.....and grits or hashbrowns....

Gee, don't you just love the sense of FREEDOM you get from hiking the AT!

HYOH and peace, brother
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" - Briscoe Darling

Hold up now - you can't even talk about grits and hashbrowns?!

Scattered smothered covered and chunked (with no commas). Though grits with butter floating in a puddle on top are a close second.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 11-16-2006 at 11:10.

There's lots of famous UU's including many of our founding fathers.

http://www.famousuus.com/

Default Hashbrowns rule!

Grits are what I do with my teeth on an uphill 18-20 miles into a good day on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Hold up now - you can't even talk about grits and hashbrowns?!

Scattered smothered covered and chunked (with no commas). Though grits with butter floating in a puddle on top are a close second.
    Hee hee...amen to that! Waffle House here I come!
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" - Briscoe Darling

No WH here in CA, but Denny's is an almost-acceptable substitute. Can't wait to get back the East coast!

Huddle Houses are better and cleaner. At least the waitresses have teeth and no visible jailhouse tatoos.

I went to a WH last week with my BIL. They seriously screwed up the order, the grits were cold and as soon as we walked out the door, my BIL started puking his guts out! Plus they're not cheap like they used to be, everything ala carte, it will be awhile before I got back. HH is only slightly better. IMO, of the three, Denny's rules...

formerly amazonwoman

Huddle Houses are better and cleaner. At least the waitresses have teeth and no visible jailhouse tatoos.

You haven't been to NC Huddle Houses...instead of star rating they get tooth ratings, as in how many the waitresses have .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Grits are what I do with my teeth on an uphill 18-20 miles into a good day on the trail.
    DAMNYANKEE!!!!

RainMan
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

>I don't think I've ever seen such a breathtaking lack of understanding - much less tolerance - of the Constitution, the AT, and religion every wrapped into one post, at least on this forum. Where to start?<

You could start with your own misunderstanding of what I wrote, particularly the use of the emoticon. I was ribbing Frolicking Dinosaurs a little, using her own language, which usage she didn't seem to have any difficulty understanding.

>So yeah, Tom and George and Ben and all those other dumbass liberals were PC. They said, "People can exercise their religion, including preaching it and seeking members, in public places."<

And the U.S. Supreme Court has extended the protection of the First Amendment to the nonreligious as well: "[t]he Establishment Clause requires the same respect for the atheist as it does for the adherent of a Christian faith. As we wrote, "the Court has unambiguously concluded that the individual freedom of conscience protected by the First Amendment embodies the right to select any religious faith or none at all." Van Orden V. Perry, 545 U.S. 677, 125 S. Ct. 2854, 162 L.Ed.2d. 607 (2005), quoting Wallace v. Jaffree, 472 U.S. 38, 105 S. Ct. 2479, 86 L.Ed.2d. 29 (1985).
    Pity about that, eh?

You seem to have confused the right to preach with a right to be heard. A person can preach, but nobody is obligated to listen, or to give the words any credence. In fact, should the hypothetical listener choose to ignore the speaker, or walk away from the speaker, they are well within their rights to do so.

I personally subscribe to the Jack Tarlin School of Discourse About Touchy Subjects, and your response to my post is a superb illustration of why Mr. Tarlin is a wise man.

>The AT is public property for all Americans, not just those who are intolerant.<

Where did I even remotely mention banning anyone from the trail? I asked a simple question about the motivation of religious people to share their religion, and Frolicking Dinosaurs and other people of faith answered my question quite satisfactorily without getting their knickers in a knot.
    (Thank you, everyone else; your responses did help my understanding.)

Deine Spandy
    Seltsam im Nebel zu wandern,
    Einsam ist jeder Busch und Stein.
    Kein Baum sieht den andern,
    Jeder ist allein.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by spandau View Post
    And I hope that America never gets so darned p.c. that we are forced to put up with the sales pitches of every sort of religious adherent every time we venture into a public space.

I honestly do not understand the compulsive need to discuss one's religion with a total stranger. What is the motivation? Why is this of such pressing importance to these people?

I admit that I find it coercive and even rude, which is why I am trying to understand the motivation behind it.
    Well, those are your words, Spandy...sure doesn't sound very tolerant, and doesn't sound very joking, either.

By the way, it's risky to cite cases to a lawyer: Van Orden makes it clear that anyone, regardless of their faith (or lack of it) can express their opinions - or preach, if you want to call such expressions that - pretty much anywhere or anytime in public places unless there is a truly compelling reason why not. That doesn't make it "coercive or even rude."

As for 'not understanding their motivation', well, it's a little surprising that there's someone on this planet over legal drinking ages who didn't understand why a believer in something would want to share that belief. But maybe you don't have a television. Glad you understand now. Perhaps that will help you tolerate people different from you.

Ihre Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Lightbulb Cool book for those....

I just finished what I thought was a Cool book for those, like me, that are looking for spiritualism without the dogmas or goofy rules of religions. Not only that , but it demonstrates for those who are turned off by "religions" that it is OK to follow your own spiritual path and your search for oneness with the "Source." I found the author verbalized a lot of what I already knew inside, but couldn't yet classify. It's called God on Your Own : Finding A Spiritual Path Outside Religion. It complimented my spiritual preparation for my Thru also!
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
++ New Posts ++