WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Silicone sealing and taping seams??

I am planning to make a tarp with some nylon I got a WalMart. It is not the slippery silny. It seems pretty water repellant though. I heard there is a way to mix up a homebrew of silicone and mineral spirits to coat the material with. What is that recipe? Where do you buy silicone? The only silicone I know of is RTV?

Next how do you tape the seams so they don't leak. I read something about gluing strips of nylon over the seam on the inside.

I have search this forum several times for these topics but I can't find them now. Thanks for your help!!!

Images

I asked the question about taping seams a while back. There is seam tape out there, but it require heat to get it to bond to the fabric. Sounds like more trouble than it is worth.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I think www.owfinc.com has seam tape. I've called and ordered from them a few times. They are really helpful. If the material is waterproof sil-nylon seam taping may not be needed. I never made a tarp. My McCat tarp that I have is only seam sealed. It has never leaked and is my favorite piece of gear.

Risk also talks about seam sealing on his website. www.imrisk.com

Images

silicone formula that I havbe used:

3 parts 100 percent parafin oil used in oil lamps to 1 part silicone.

Always pretest for adhesion on a small piece of the material you are using. All fabrics are NOT alike. Coating may vary from one supplier to the next.

OK, here's my two cents worth. If it isn't the Silnylon, why are you worried about using Silicone? Just use a seam sealer for regular p/u coated products. When I made my Ray-Way tarp out of sil-nylon, I just followed the directions in the book and smeared on pure silicone in a thin layer over the seam. Never have had a leak.
    Last edited by bubba295; 11-15-2006 at 14:45. Reason: spell check

++ New Posts ++