WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Blue Ridge Gap

Default Blue Ridge Gap

How difficult is it to access Blue Ridge Gap by car via FS Road 72, and is there parking? The trail guide is not very encouraging.

The last time (years ago) I was on that road it was in such bad shape that I turned around before I reached the gap. My (old) guidebook described it as "impassable by car" and I agreed with that description.

However, Mother Nature (who posts here) a year or so ago said that the road was in good shape and that you could easily drive it to the gap. There is supposedly parking for several cars where it intersects the trail.

May want to PM Mother Nature to get the current condition of the road.

Images

Default Blue Ridge Gap

Yeah, the last time I was there which was about a year ago, you could easily drive a car up to the Gap (trail crossing). Not much parking, maybe 2 or 3 cars.

Images

I just happen to be lurking here today. Smokestack and I are going up to check on our section sometime this weekend. There was a GATC workcrew up at Bly Gap within the past month so I am sure the road is still very passable. There were sections beginning to breakdown and become more rocky last time we were there but overall it should be no problem. There is parking along the side and in the intersection with the trail.

MN
    Sue Buak

No problem getting to Blue Ridge Gap on the fire road...just take it easy...not much room for parking...maybe 2-3 cars max.

I was there yesterday 01-06-2007. Easy ride up and agree about parking... 2 to 3 at the max.

Is Blue Ridge Gap still accessible via car in 2011? I am a trail newbie attempting my first section hike, and I am EXTREMELY grateful for all of the info. on this site.

Images

Call The Hiker Hostel -- they do shuttles to there, so they ought to know the road conditions to the gap.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Both mother nature and generoll seem to use that road more than anyone; I'd shoot them a PM and ask for current conditions.

Thanks to both of you. I will follow your advice.
    Now shall I walk
    or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle-on View Post
    I am a trail newbie attempting my first section hike, and I am EXTREMELY grateful for all of the info. on this site.
    I didn't catch this earlier. Just to let you know that there are a lot of other trailheads -- paved highways and forest service roads -- in GA that are a whole lot easier to use than this one.

El Sordo
    Images

max is right. You can drive to Blue Ridge Gap, but it's not the best road. I'll drive there when the road is drive, but if it's slippery I turn around. Some of the washouts could hold a small car and if you slip into one you may be there for awhile. There's space for one car at the gap and a couple of others spots very close. I just take it easy when driving there and make sure I straddle the ruts and washouts.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Hello all! Thanks for the awesome site and wealth of info. My father and I are planning on hiking the Ga section of the trail next month up to Bly Gap. From Bly Gap, what is the closest area to meet someone for a ride home? Is it the Blue Ridge Gap and FS 72?

Images

Closest is Blue Ridge Gap, but that might not be the best.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

You really need something with 4 wheel drive, a really good truck (high) or something like that to drive that road. I wouldn't drive a car up there for anything (I like my car) because some of the ruts are deep enough to tear out the bottom of a car.

You can drive on a paved road right up to it, however, and it's only a mile hike to the AT (granted, it's all uphill). You can park your car at the end of the paved road. Shuttle drivers will usually take you to that spot to let you out. Some may take you all the way, if it's dry.

If you hike to Bly Gap, there is no pick up. You either have to hike back to Blue Ridge or hike on to Deep Gap. At Deep Gap there is an excellent FSR (71) which is well maintained. It's dirt, and miles long, but a pretty drive. Shuttle drivers regularly drive in there, but I do understand it's closed in the winter months. (I could be wrong on that.) If you want more information on either road, or directions, you might call Joyce Monroe, one of the shuttle drivers out of Hiawassee, and ask her about it. Please call her during daylight hours (not too early, not too late) at 706/896-9339.

4WD and high clearance required for to get to Blue Ridge Gap, or you can drive to the end of the paved section walk to the Gap (about a mile).

Made the trip about two weeks ago in a two wheel drive extra. Good clearance is needed. Several deep ruts that go across the road. Pretty steep. Room to park one maybe two cars at the top. Upper Hightower to Charles Creek and then FS72 goes uphill to the right. Should be easy if you do a 4 wheel drive. If you hike north from Dicks Creek to Blue Ridge Gap you will have more up hill but walking down the fosest service road to the pavement would not be bad. Talked with some of the property folks up there and one was willing to let me park just off the pave road. Dont park unless you as!

We accessed the AT at Blue Ridge Gap this past Saturday 1/17/2014. We had to stop at the end of the pavement and hike up to the AT by foot. Jeeps and other 4x4 vehicles drove by us and could get up there buy my Toyota minivan could not get over/around some of the large holes and ruts in the dirt road.

Default Accessing Blue Ridge Gap

I meant to say that we accessed the AT at Blue Ridge Gap this past Saturday 1/17/2015. Jeeps and other 4x4s had no problems but cars and minivans would be difficult.

It's very dependent on how well the Forestry Service has maintained the road. I hiked through here the last week of May 2016 and it was in terrific shape. There was Honda Fit sitting at the gap so the road was good enough for that sized small car to make it. There is room right where the AT crosses the road for about 4-5 cars.

++ New Posts ++