WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Wink Virtual reality, anyone?

Now if they could just find a way to offer the AT hiking course on line.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Images

ASU in Boon has a course on Trail Maintenance and there have been over 800 + working hrs of trail maintenance done by them (last I heard) .

I think that is AWSOME! What better way to learn about and gain respect for the Trail and the Volunteers who do the work on it!

I don't know if there is a link or not ,perhaps someone else can provide additional info on this deal????

A couple hikers/maintainers Otto and Crispy are involved with it I believe. Good thing tho... IMO .
    PEACE!
    FF
    FISHINFRED

MY STUFF

MY STUFF ON EBAY

RadioFreq:

An A.T. course already does effectively exist on line.

It's called Whiteblaze.net

And it's free. You don't have to apply to a college, sit in on weekend classes, pay tuition to any school or "Institute", or do any homework.

There's an extraordinary ammount of good information here, and an awful lot of very qualified people exchanging and relating it, at no cost.

The "A.T. course" you speak of is right here.

Best of luck with your hike in 2010!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    RadioFreq:

Along with some occasionally disruptive students.
    Last edited by LostInSpace; 11-22-2006 at 17:14.
    "Space and time are not conditions in which we live; they are simply modes in which we think," Albert Einstein

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver2005 View Post
    A pretty penny...but unfortunately all colleges require some degree of "core" courses, most (if not all) of which are of no use to your major. I'll tell you that there were several courses that I had to take that I gained nothing from, mostly because I had learned more on the subject in high school. If I would have had the option to switch one of those courses with one about the AT, I would not have hesitated.
    Ditto. I took a bunch of worthless liberal arts electives (can't have engineering students taking too many math and science courses, now can we) that I would gladly have traded for an AT course, or any hiking/outdoors course, or anything of interest, for that matter.
    Frosty

wookie, props for getting such a good response from your students. sounds a little like what Mowgli was talking about. getting otherwise involved folks interested in the woods. nice work.

i also always wondered why they offer those cheesy p.e. courses. i took bowling. i think an AT class is great, although of course you can get it on your own. a guy named Kip Redick has been doing this for some time out of a college in VA (can't recall the name right now). they go for a multi-week hike. wish i could get paid for that.

From PA moved to Marquette MI, ontop of the Northern Country Trail

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Take a real class.

Take your formal, structured, for-pay education seriously and take real classes.

It's still a joke.

I'm Sorry what do you define as a real class?
    There’s no point in the destination if you can't enjoy the journey.

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Default Pomp & Circumstance

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    RadioFreq:

And it's free. You don't have to apply to a college, sit in on weekend classes, pay tuition to any school or "Institute", or do any homework.

There's an extraordinary ammount of good information here, and an awful lot of very qualified people exchanging and relating it, at no cost.

The "A.T. course" you speak of is right here.

Best of luck with your hike in 2010!!
    Hey, you're right! But where does one go to get one's "sheepskin"?

(And please don't suggest the "Help With Some Math" thread.)
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wish I had this rather than taking badminton / archery when I was in college for my required phys ed elective.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Ditto. I took a bunch of worthless liberal arts electives (can't have engineering students taking too many math and science courses, now can we) that I would gladly have traded for an AT course, or any hiking/outdoors course, or anything of interest, for that matter.
    You're an engineer as well? That's pretty cool. Shoot me a PM or email, I'd love to hear the perspective of an individual that is on the opposite end of an engineering career from me!

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA-->ME

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I'd have to agree. It is a joke. But if someone can structure the classes and have people pay money for them, and get the college to accept it as a class, I say good for them. That's what America is all about. Reminds me of someone...WD. Then again, I think everyone knows that you get what you pay for when those students enter the workforce....then those backpacking classes are not recognized, and count for nothing but having a good time. Backpacking is recreation.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Disagree completely. I think the relatively few liberal arts electives I had to take back in undergrad helped round out my engineering education, and were often a nice break from my "real" classes.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs down It's still a joke

Quote Originally Posted by halftime View Post
    What could be more realistic than chosing an elective that you enjoy and want to learn more about? Especially since (in Science and Engineering fields) only 2/3 follow a career path related to their degree anyway.
    Are you in college to have a good time or are you there to develop knowledge to be utilized for your career?

So since so few college grads actually follow their career paths, why not fill your curriculum with irrelevant classes that you enjoy?

If I am interviewing someone for a job and I see more then one useless class on their transcript it tells me that they don't have their priorities in line & they're out.
    Be Prepared

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Post A list

Quote Originally Posted by skytoproberts View Post
    I'm Sorry what do you define as a real class?
    Real classes of value would include:

Math
    Literature
    Science
    Government
    Engineering
    Business
    Medcine
    Law
    Philosophy
    Military
    I'm sure there are some more, but most everything can fall under one of these categories.

Bogus classes that are educatonally irrelevant to a professional career:

Sports (to include hiking)
    Talking about our feelings
    Anything else that could be considered "play"
    Be Prepared

Blackcloud,
    They didn't have requirements called "electives" where you graduated college?

Physical Education was one of mine...

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerGuyTom View Post
    Blackcloud,
    They didn't have requirements called "electives" where you graduated college?

Physical Education was one of mine...
    If you want to become a PE teacher I can see some use. What was taught in this class? Or was it just playing sports?
    Be Prepared

Default Depends on the college

At the Univ. of Minnesota, you have to pay by semester, which is 13 credits. Anything over 13 credits is free. That's when a lot of students take PE classes, like backpacking, at least here. I only need 70 credits for my major, but a total of 120 credits to graduate. Even with a minor, there are still a bunch of credits to make up. I don't see a problem with taking an enjoyable class, especially if it's free. Maybe this doesn't hold for the college offering the AT course; but here, there is no stigma associated with taking a PE class, especially when it's free anyway.

From PA moved to Marquette MI, ontop of the Northern Country Trail

Real classes of value would include:

Math
    Literature
    Science
    Government
    Engineering
    Business
    Medcine
    Law
    Philosophy
    Military
    I'm sure there are some more, but most everything can fall under one of these categories.

Bogus classes that are educatonally irrelevant to a professional career:

Sports (to include hiking)
    Talking about our feelings
    Anything else that could be considered "play"
    Hmm I guess my whole college career in Art was play, glassblowing, sculpture, stain glass, woodworking, and ceramics plus a bunch of other classes that I didn’t need to talk but though that they would help me better my self.

I guess now that I am going out for my Adventure recreation bachelors that is all going to be playing as well since that consist of backpacking, skiing, climbing, kayaking ... etc.

If I am interviewing someone for a job and I see more then one useless class on their transcript it tells me that they don't have their priorities in line & they're out.
    How can you judge some one for the classes that they take. No education is wasted whether you agree or disagree it. The knowledge that you pull from the classes that you take whether relevant or irrelevant help you shape who you are. If the person took the class obliviously they did not think it was useless. It is people like yourself that make it hard for people to get jobs that do not have a degree but have the experience. A degree is just a piece of paper and the classes that you take are only as good as the information that you pull out of it.

There is no way in hell that I want to be stuck behind a desk 9-5 every day for the next 60 years and from what I read about your "real" classes that is what you think people should do.
    There’s no point in the destination if you can't enjoy the journey.

formerly amazonwoman

When I was in college I had to take stupid phys-ed classes like walking for health and bowling. I would have jumped at an AT course.

Images

Are you in college to have a good time or are you there to develop knowledge to be utilized for your career?.
    hopefuly both!

In my 30+ years in the business world, I have found that individuals who have completed the exhaustive process of getting an acredited degree usually have their priorities straight. The fact that some explore diverse opportunities and demonstrate an adventurous spirit has generally turned out to ba a plus.

For what it's worth: If I were in position to do so, would be extremely hesitant to appoint a person with the attitude you express here to a position that involves any Human Resource decisions.
    May your days ahead be brighter than before!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++