WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trekking Poles

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    It`s just a fad...
    Do you hang out on the Trail much, these days? In the last few years of section hikes, I'd say close to 100% of the thru-hikers I've encountered (mostly in New England) have been walking with poles.

I'm sorry to say this, but most sales people at "large outdoor stores" don't know diddly about long-distance hiking. And that goes for the fine folks at my local REI and EMS outlets as well.

Poles sure aren't a fad among skiers (alpine or Nordic) or snowshoers or those who hike in snow.

I had hiked for 25+ years without poles. My very first hike with Lekis was from the Dartmouth Coop to Lyme, NH, June 2002. During the first few hours of that hike, I thought to myself, "why did I wait so long to try this?"

I find poles not very useful on easy, flat stretches, and useless on seriously steep stretches. But in that vast range between, and particularly on lumpy ground, they're great.

Ya, computers are just a fad too, someday, we will forget all about them and go back to the good old paper, pencil and mail days.
    Cutman
    GA>ME 2000>2010..... Purist thruhiker in spirit, just with a lotta zeros during townstops;)

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

[quote=terrapin_too;283171]>>>> I'm sorry to say this, but most sales people at "large outdoor stores" don't know diddly about long-distance hiking. And that goes for the fine folks at my local REI and EMS outlets as well.<<<<

Perhaps I wasn`t clear when I said I worked at one of the largest outdoor stores..I didn`t mean large as in a chain store or a place that sells everything related to out-of-doors..I meant large as in size and amount of backpacking equipment we carried..This store sold ONLY backpacking / camping equipment as far as "outdoors" goods..I regularly spoke with and discussed equipment design with guys from pretty much every major maker including Wayne Gregory and Lou Whittaker at JanSport and I often recieved advanced versions of equipment to evaluate.I did a LOT of long distance AT hiking prior to getting that job and although I never thru-hiked I attempted to and covered GA-Duncannon PA before my funds ran out

>>>>Poles sure aren't a fad among skiers (alpine or Nordic) or snowshoers or those who hike in snow.<<<<

Correct. THAT is what poles are for!...That is how the internal pack craze started..When the internet and backpacking magazines became mainstream people would see photos of the guys mountaineering using internal frames and assume that meant they were better..But the fact is they would carry the equipment to the mountains over the trails in EXTERNAL framed packs and then switch to the internals when climbing..But no one takes photos on the approach trails so no one saw these guys using the external frames and thus people just figured the pricier and fancier internals were better since all the professionals used them (Sound familiar with poles?)..Since a good internal cost like 2-3 times more than a good external who were the pack makers to argue?..So the marketing boys went to work and we have what we have..Now it`s poles
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

I hated mine at first. They were a gift, so I didn't think much of them w/r/t how much bank I was out. My arms grew more tired because I was moving them more, to balance me more. In the end, however, they are a utility as well. Instead of a tent you can carry a tarp for shelter. Prop it up with your poles.

All said before is great, but HYOH! Do what's best for you.

And never listen to an REI or EMS salesperson unless you HIKE with them.

I didn't think I needed them but I ended up using them and I used them a lot.. But then I am old and out of shape.. If you do get a pair get the simple ones without the shock absorbers... You can use them for tent stakes too.

Images

I hike with them because my knees can't do it alone . I hiked Katahdin without and was hurting for days afterwards. I hiked Chairbacks on another occasion with them and didn't have the same achy problem. They're also a great aide when crossing streams. I use them because they improve the quality of my life while on the trail. They'll be with me on my thru in 2010.

Default Things change...

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    So the marketing boys went to work and we have what we have..Now it`s poles
    Well, this is kinda funny and odd and ironic. Some of my hiking habits and gear are ingrained from 30 years ago. I've done 90% of my AT hiking so far (about 3/4 of the trail) using a 1988-vintage Camp Trails Adjustable II pack. It was an antique even during my attempted "thru" in 1990.

I've also been a lifelong skier, so using poles comes naturally. I can only tell you my experience. While I generally have excellent balance and a solid build (below the waist, anyway) I find that poles are generally very useful for my hiking. Clearly, "YMMV" but honestly -- this is no fad.

Years ago, it was de rigeur to wear heavy leather boots for AT treks. The real serious folks got theirs from Peter Limmer. That's gone almost completely by the wayside, at least for typical thru-hiker purposes. I'm not ashamed to say, good riddance to those heavy monsters.

Hell, Ed Garvey launched one of the most foolish fads of all on the A.T. -- the ridiculous attraction to Dickies outerwear, and his insistence (along with Earl Shaffer's) on wearing long pants.

The trail has changed, even in my short lifetime. Hiking gear and techniques change. People learn. Hell, America even knows how to brew a decent cup of coffee now. Imagine!

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Years ago, it was de rigeur to wear heavy leather boots for AT treks. The real serious folks got theirs from Peter Limmer. That's gone almost completely by the wayside, at least for typical thru-hiker purposes. I'm not ashamed to say, good riddance to those heavy monsters.
    I don`t know..Those stiff leathered mountaineering boots sure have a lot of support..Try having your feet land with the toe on one rock and the heel on another or the toe on a rock and the heel on the ground 4 inches lower and the weight of a pack on your back and you`ll instantly see the advantage they have over trail shoes or light weight hiking "boots"..Might save a lot of stress fractures, ankle twists and falls.....Oh but I forgot.. They are heavy so out they go!

For a boot to really "protect" your ankle it would need to be built like a ski boot. The "ankle protection" argument is a myth -- you can twist or sprain an ankle in heavy leather boots just as quickly as you can with a pair of New Balance 991s. You cannot walk properly with a rigid, "protected" ankle.

Fact is, lighter is safer, within reason. It's a matter of physics. Less weight on your back means you're quicker and more agile, and less subject to fatigue. Most folks get injured when they're tired. Less weight on your feet means you can walk more surely -- less energy needed to lift the foot, swing it forward, brake the swing, and set it back down, accurately. Repeat this "simple" sequence 30,000 times a day and the difference is huge.

Anyway -- I do what I do not only because I've observed what others do, but because it works for me. There's a fair amount of BS in the "ultralight" hiking movement, but there are some basic truths as well. These become more important to me as I grow older.

Do yourself a favor and read Ryan Jordan's excellent book on lightweight hiking. This is not a fad. It can certainly be taken to excess, but there's a good reason why folks are cutting back on their gear weights.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    One note on how I use my poles, that prevents me from using plain sticks... because I use them primarily on the down hills, the hand grips need to be a certain shape for me. During the decent I will place the very top of the pole in the palm of my hand, right at the heel, and steady the pole between my ring and pinkie fingers. That way when I place the full extent of my weight onto the poles, it avoids me having to grip the pole tightly, and relieves stress on my wrists. Because of this, sticks won't work (unless I feel like having palmfulls of splinters) and neither will a lot of skiing poles... Downhill poles often have very large tops that prevent holding the pole that way, and xcountry ski poles are pointy on the top. Just something to think about if you end up using poles the same way I do.

And yes, poles will help one to catch their balance... 4 feet are better than 2.

YMMV
    I use poles the same way you do on downhills. I started using them because my knees were going bad. I used just one pole for years, but now use two to get into that rhythm on less steep sections of trail.

Poles are very useful rock-hopping across steams and balancing on wiggly bog bridges, but I can see where one could pick up a branch to the same effect.
    Frosty

There is no excuse not to use poles in winter hiking on snowy or icy terrain, every mountaineer knows that a 2 0r 3 point contact is far more likely to save you from a slip or fall than a mere 1 or 2 point contact. And if you do slip and start sliding you can use the tip of one or both of your poles to help self-arrest like you would use a ice axe. I don't hike/climb without them in winter.
    WALK ON

Images

I have been hiking about 40 years now and have never used poles until this year. I am preping to thru-hike this March and have upgrading my gear and shaving off weight. I have also read a lot of posts here about poles and have seen all the thru-hikers using them.
    I have a pair of old Chinourd adjustable ski poles with interchangeable tips and handles for backcountry skiing. I decided to give them a try on the trail. I figured I owned a pair already so why not. I was sold over a 4 day period. They saved my knees and saved me from a nasty fall. To each their own. Like PC versus MAC but you have to form your own opinion by trying them. My poles are coming with me.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Images

Come to think of it I guess I have always used a hiking stick. I just moved and found my collection of favorites picked up from the trail each year. My favorite is a piece of ironwood that I found next to the AT in Kent. A by-product of trail maintenance.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Images

I use them for many reasons and will hike with them again. One large plus for me was rhythm. Rhythm equals miles. Also, hiking poles transfer pack weight to the arms. Who doesn't want weight off their back?. Think of cross country skiing and use some of those same techniques used there. Most hikers who try them convert and, most who finished used them for part of if not all of the trail. You be the judge.... peace.
    Peace

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness bob View Post
    Also, hiking poles transfer pack weight to the arms. Who doesn't want weight off their back?
    While you don`t want pack weight on your back, moving it to your arms certainly isn`t where you want it to go..The idea is to transfer it to your hips and legs which a proper pack will do..Trouble is most of todays hikers think lighter with no exception means better and they are attempting to long distance hike with what are basically oversized day packs or weekend packs or in some cases giant stuff sacks with straps attached...This causes people to walk in an un-natural manner and they then need these poles to shove their body back into proper alignment

Images

Programo,

Too true... You do not want to transfer back pack weight to your arms if you are wearing an ill fitted or poorly designed back pack. I agree whole heartedly that the hips are the best place for the weight to go (a different subject indeed). Trekking poles will except the transfer of weight from not only the pack, but the upper body as well. Keep in mind that this technique may not be suitable for all, IMHO, it sure does help.
    Peace

Images

Default Arm Weight

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness bob View Post
    I use them for many reasons and will hike with them again. One large plus for me was rhythm. Rhythm equals miles. Also, hiking poles transfer pack weight to the arms. Who doesn't want weight off their back?. Think of cross country skiing and use some of those same techniques used there. Most hikers who try them convert and, most who finished used them for part of if not all of the trail. You be the judge.... peace.
    I agree, the added momentum of rhythm makes the miles click by (when that is what you want). I used to use a natural walking stick, picked up occasionally for this.

I have updated all of my gear to lightweight (not to extreme) and it has made a world of difference in both comfort level while hiking and the number of miles I can travel comfortably.

I now use pacer poles and find they are even better, more comfortable, than other poles with in-line hand grips. They are pricier (sp?), but worth it for me. As an aside, the poles support a good portion of the weight of your arms on every step, considering that arms typically weigh 7lbs apiece, 14 pounds off my back and hips is nothing to sneeze at! You don't even have to add any excessive upper body muscle to get this advantage.

Modern, lightweight gear and hiking poles are NOT fads, they are a natural progression and refinement. All you have is old, heavier gear? then use it. If you are currently buying new gear, do yourself a favor and go lighter.

Default are 4 legs better than 2?

Here are a few thoughts on hiking poles.

They can get expensive...But for around $50 or so you would get a perfectly reasonable pair of poles that are adjustable.

Ski poles are not adjustable so you can't vary the length of the pole for steep terrain.

They have saved my oldish knees a lot of wear and tear.

People have walked without pole for eons.

The bigger your backpack the more you'll appreciate them taking weight off of your legs and helping out when you get stumbly near the end of the day.

They make great snake prodders.

Hiking poles make slippery stream crossings a more safe experience.

You will burn more calories if you use them - but they can help keep your arms from wasting away as you progress in your thru-hike.

Um...I'm sure there are hundreds of other points to be made. The bottom line for me is that I couldn't imagine hiking without them after using them.

Your local OUTFITTER should have a demo pair or you can contact LEKI and they will get you in touch with someone who does have a demo pair to try.

Good Luck.
    what's better sectioned grapefruit or sectioned AT?
    <a href="http://www.gearsamples.com">www.gearsamples.com</a>

I must be the clumsiest person on the Earth. If there exists a way to slip, trip, stumble, or fall, I am sure to find it. And thereafter, without poles, my body finds the fastest route to the ground. I started my hike without poles, and thought I was doing ok. Bruised and battered, but ok. I had poles sent to me at Neel's Gap (they were a gift...), and never looked back. Yes, I still fell. But I also avoided at least 2 bad tumbles each day. To me, that's security I'm not willing to give up.

I've never used them and never will.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++