WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Staying in shape on the trail

Hey all,

Up till now I've been planning on doing a nobo in 07. However, I've recently decided to join the marines, and am concerned I would not be able to retain my current level of physical fitness on the trail. After spending 6 weeks on the trail this fall- from harper's ferry down into Va and back ~500miles, it seems that every thru hiker I saw looked like a cross country runner, rather than the fine physical specimen that years of gymnastics has brought me. I definitely don't want to show up to boot camp all legs, I find my upper body helps me carry a heavy pack, etc.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping my muscle mass, or should I just scrub my thru. On my past hike, I carried an 80lb pack (yes, I know- way too much), but I ate well and I didnt lose much upper body muscle. I had been outfitting myself with lighter gear for my thru(I'm down to 10-12lbs baseweight), but now I'm thinking I might stay in better shape with a heavier pack.

Thanks,
    iamscottym

On my first few thru-hikes, or whenever I hike, I would do push ups and pull ups. Once in awhile a would pick up a rock and do curls while I walked. Don't worry about fitness in boot camp. I've been there, done that. They will build you slowly. Do the hike. You'll be in great shape for boot training.

I agree completely with Lone Wolf, don't worry too much, you'll be fine. My only suggestion would be to try and do some cardio work with the pack off. Alternate a longer hiking day with one where you hide the pack somewhere and trail run as fast as possible for at least a half hour to an hour. I'm a lifetime runner and in the past when I got back from a thousand miles or more my legs are so big it's hard to move them quickly for several weeks. I had the lungs but not that type of muscle. This seems to prevent that.

On my 93 thru-hike I would go for a 2-3 mile run on my days off in town.

Cosmic Charlie had a one-word reply when asked how he "trained" for the AT: Georgia.

Oh, I almost forgot, yes do the heavy pack. Maybe not 80, that is too much but 60 should work. Going light for most things is good, just carry more food. When leaving town carry somthing quality and frozen, like steak or shrimp. It will defrost in your pack and you'll have to fight off other hikers which will help in boot camp.

Images

Maybe find a branch in the mornings or at night and do a lot of pullups/chinups, and also do pushups crunches etc. That and carrying a heavy pack (with lots of food) should help.

as long as you stick to the 3 basic of the initial strength test "crunches, 1.5 mile run, and deadhang pullups" you'll be fine. doing pushups and crunches while on the trail will help immensely. The running is another matter. Many have written about not being able to run after their hike due to different muscle groups being used in hiking. The person that posted that he ran on his day(s) off the trail sounds like a great idea.

On the oher hand, have fun in bootcamp. I know that sounds funny but remember; it is all a game the drill instructors play. Yes it is hard and demanding at times, but it will be one of the times you will always remember from your time in the Marines. I know, I retired in 2003 after 20 years and I still remember bootcamp! If you get down there you might have a platoon/company commander by the name of Lt. Kasich (possibly Captain by then). That's my son-in-law. Don't tell him you know of me and I won't say anything because then you will be thrashed just for the hell of it.

Take care, and good luck on your thru (yes do it) and then have a great time in the Corps. oohrah and Semper Fi.
    Semper Fi and 73's,

G. L. Cooper
    K0OPG (Amateur Extra)
    Mountains of WV

I went thru MCRD 3rd Batallion 29 years ago. I remember it like yesterday.

1stBn A co May-Aug 1983
    Semper Fi and 73's,

G. L. Cooper
    K0OPG (Amateur Extra)
    Mountains of WV

Coop/wolf

Do either of you have any estimates for how many pushups/crunches/pull-ups I should shoot for beyond the ift and the pft? I'm already in pretty good shape: 80 pushups/2minutes, 110 crunches/2 minutes, 25 pull ups...not sure on my mile time, I haven't been timing it. I know it still needs some work though. I know it's not likely, but if possible I'd like to be able to breeze through basic.

The recruiter also told me a bunch of stuff to memorize..rank, creed, all that stuff.

Is there anything else I should know to make life easier?

I haven't decided on an MOS yet...but I'm electronically/mechanically inclined (studied to be a mech. eng. at Northwestern University- 2 years), however I was also considering something in combat arms like designated marksman. Advice?

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    On my 93 thru-hike I would go for a 2-3 mile run on my days off in town.
    L. Wolf or Mad Dog ..... either way your an animal with attitude

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Even after section hikes of 8-9 days and 100-150 miles my running legs are already compromised. I get back on the soccer field and while I have a lot of endurance my legs feel "dead". It takes me 1-2 weeks to get back into soccer shape.

Frankly I think that it is impossible to maintain your fitness level for one sport while immersing yourself so fully in another for 4-6 months, but doing a daily regimen will help to keep you from losing everything. If you can force yourself to do it every day, and keep hiking every day, I think that you mental discipline will be better than 99% of the other recruits.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Make sure you get enough protein. Probably a good idea to get some whey protein powder and bring it along.

Default protein

Disney,

I already do the whole protein thing, and usually bring some along when I hike. However, I'm not sure I want to do mail drops just because it seems like it will be a huge hassle. I know I'll be pressed for cash for my hike, so I'm trying to work out whether mail drops will be cheaper in the long run. Since I'll be eating more than most hikers, mail drops could potentially be much cheaper- so that's pretty much the deciding factor.

Default iamscottym

If no MOS go RECON.... All the fun stuff

Sandy B

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Your not gonna be able to retain the muscle mass you start with before your thru hike. I started my thru hike as a serious bodybuilder at 220lbs of muscle after years of weightlifting. At one point on the trail, I was down to 183 or so (for comparison, I think I weighed more than that in the 8th grade). By the end of the trail, I was 194 and the skinniest I had ever been. BUT, I started lifting even more seriously after my thru hike and was back up to 215 of solid muscle within 6 months. It comes back quick if you stick with it.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

bootcamp will focus on cardio work. you will do lots of running, formation running (totally different) and spend a LOT of time in the rose garden. (you will find out what that is.) i would think a thruhike would be as fine a bit of prepwork for bootcamp but not in the physical sense. you will have many memories to think back on.

enjoy bootcamp. as the other said, you will never forget the experience. i hated it then, but love it now. i went and took a physical yesterday as part of my bid to go back in as a marine reserve. once/always.

Dont worry to much about the conditioning, boot camp is 99% mental anyway. I currently work as a PMI at mcrd parris island teaching recruits to fire the M16 series rifles and there are not many ripped up kids coming thru. Like the old salts said do some push ups and some pull ups each day, try and get your protein and u will be in good enough shape for boot camp. Now as to the MOS talk, if you dont want to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and close combat then i highly suggest that you go to another service. I tell my recruits every week, i dont understand why people go thru the mental torture of boot camp to be admin stapler #3 for the S3 shop. Now obviously i'm a grunt, i fought in iraq as 3/2 india co 3rd plt 2nd sqd ldr, we need tough guys so if that is what u are prepared to do then come on. If it is a skill your after it is just smarter to go else where. Ok enough recruiting spill, I get out in feb 07 and will start on the 27 feb, hope to see you up the trail and good luck with your decision.
    The path of least resistance is without adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by iamscottym View Post
    Disney,

I already do the whole protein thing, and usually bring some along when I hike. However, I'm not sure I want to do mail drops just because it seems like it will be a huge hassle. I know I'll be pressed for cash for my hike, so I'm trying to work out whether mail drops will be cheaper in the long run. Since I'll be eating more than most hikers, mail drops could potentially be much cheaper- so that's pretty much the deciding factor.
    Definitely Bounce box big containers of Nitro-Tech or something like it. Load up massively on protein, way more than you think could possibly be necessary, especially if you've built up a lot and you wanna keep it. Your body won't burn your muscle tissue for protein unless you make it so load up several times a day. Google HMB (an amino supplement). Otherwise try to be creative and eat good for you food (and enough of it) instead of junk. That's why people get scrawny on the trail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++