WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Quest Thermolite Sleeping Bags

I see that Dick's Sporting Goods is selling Quest Thermolite sleeping bags at 50% off this week. They have the following (all are synthetic):

• a mummy, 2.8 pound, 0 degree bag for $50, regular price of $100
    • a rectangle, 3.0 pound, 0 degree bag also for $50, down from $100
    • a mummy, 3.5 pound, -10 degree bag for $65, regular is $130
    • a mummy, 2.7 pound, -25 degree bag for $75, regular is $150
    I know these are not the best bags for the market, but the prices seem pretty good. I am planning some section hikes and the temperatures won't be below 40 degrees (I know the ratings on the bags can be misleading anyway). Has anyone used these bags? Any advice on which of these are worth a shot?

Images

IMMHO Quest is lower quality and probably in line with Sears and Walmart bags. I'd take the numbers with a grain of salt. It is tough to get a Down -10 600 Fill bag for under 3.5 lbs and $250 and here is a synth bag that is just about as light for $65 - I have serious concerns about their ratings.

Expect the following (only my opinion after have many bags for many years):
    - they won't keep you as warm as promised.
    - They might be older bags factory stuffed and stored like that for a year or
    more, meaning sever loss of loft.
    - Cheap zippers
    - Poor footbox design and insulation
    - Might not be differential cut (bag within a bag) so that you can compress
    the insulation and end up with cold spots on sides and top.
    - Within a year, you will probably be looking to replace them with better bags.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kahil View Post
    I see that Dick's Sporting Goods is selling Quest Thermolite sleeping bags at 50% off this week. They have the following (all are synthetic):

• a mummy, 2.8 pound, 0 degree bag for $50, regular price of $100
    • a rectangle, 3.0 pound, 0 degree bag also for $50, down from $100
    • a mummy, 3.5 pound, -10 degree bag for $65, regular is $130
    • a mummy, 2.7 pound, -25 degree bag for $75, regular is $150
    I know these are not the best bags for the market, but the prices seem pretty good. I am planning some section hikes and the temperatures won't be below 40 degrees (I know the ratings on the bags can be misleading anyway). Has anyone used these bags? Any advice on which of these are worth a shot?
    I've seen those bags in Dick's and IIRC those are fill weights you listed, not actual carry weights.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    I've seen those bags in Dick's and IIRC those are fill weights you listed, not actual carry weights.

Yeah, they weigh about 4 lbs (we weighed one on our scale)
    Good for scout troops - camping, etc.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Yeah, they weigh about 4 lbs (we weighed one on our scale)
    Good for scout troops - camping, etc.
    You know, four pounds isn't terrible for a zero degree synthetic bag for that price. But it begs the question: Is the rating close to accurate or wildly overexaggerated?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

i bought one for my son 2 years ago. It keeps him warm with no complaints. The coldest night has been in the high teens. I doubt it will be comfy at 0 but if you call it a 20 degree bag, for a kid, it is worth it. He can save his own money to get a better bag, or ask Santa.

Thanks for the posts. This is what makes this website so useful. As I wrote earlier, I don't expect to be in temps under 40 so they can exaggerate the rating by a lot and i would still be ok.

Anyway, I will probably look elsewhere. I can afford a better bag but thought i had stumbled upon a deal. Here are some bags in the Campmor catalog that have me thinking:

Kelty Light Year 3D, 25 degrees, 2.5 pounds total carry weight, $80
    or Slumberjack Thermolite Extreme Ultimate, 20 degrees, 3 pounds, $70

I am very happy with my Kelty rucksack, but how are they at sleeping bags. I know nothing about Slumberjack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kahil View Post
    Thanks for the posts. This is what makes this website so useful. As I wrote earlier, I don't expect to be in temps under 40 so they can exaggerate the rating by a lot and i would still be ok.

Anyway, I will probably look elsewhere. I can afford a better bag but thought i had stumbled upon a deal. Here are some bags in the Campmor catalog that have me thinking:

Kelty Light Year 3D, 25 degrees, 2.5 pounds total carry weight, $80
    or Slumberjack Thermolite Extreme Ultimate, 20 degrees, 3 pounds, $70

I am very happy with my Kelty rucksack, but how are they at sleeping bags. I know nothing about Slumberjack.
    I've got the Kelty Light Year 3D bag. It is a very nice bag for the price. I use it as a top quilt in my hammock sometimes.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I thought the Kelty Lightyear was underrated temp wise and so was the Slumberjack I had, but I sleep cold.

I really like Marmot myself. But on other threads people have been talking about the Campmor down bags and the good temp rating. I'm looking at one of those myself. And they are a good price.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Slumberjacks are a bit optimistic, IMO.
    Skids

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Both Slumberjack and Quest Thermolite are rated about 15 degrees F below the temp at which I'm actually comfortable in them. However, they are good bags for car camping and good quilts (rectangular opened up) for times when a million grandkids are spending the night....

Images

Default slumberjack

I have never used one of their bags but I picked up a couple of Latitude 20deg bags from campmor on sale for $30 a couple of years ago for my kids. I also use them as loaner bags for folks I am trying to get addicted to hiking(it works - "you dont have to buy anything, I got packs, bags, etc - first one is free!"). Anyhow, my brother in law used on a few times and thought it worked good. Down to single digits with a fleece liner too. Down side is almost 4# and a 9x20 stuff size. Same goes for my 12y/o son. IMO good for what you pay.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

++ New Posts ++