WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Dehydrating pasta?

so it's been awhile since I've dehydrated stuff for a backpacking trip, and I'd like to dehydrate some pasta for my trip....I think it was in the oven w/ the door open at 125 degrees?

like to know before I do it so I do it righ tthe first time

thanks in advance

Save yourself some trouble...

lol

yeah I'm takin them too, but I got some spatini, planning on doing spaghetti n sauce for the first night's dinner as a bit of a treat, and it would reduce cooking time a bit, which would just be a convenience facotr...if I'm not confident in dehydrating it, I'll just have to spend the extra time to cook it normally...which is why I ask here, to boost my confidence in dehydrating it

I wouldn't know spatini from linguni. Never made my own pasta. But if it's cooking time you're concerned about, get some "Angel Hair" pasta.

Hey, any pasta experts in the house? Young man needs some HELP over here!

Isn't pasta already dehydrated when you buy it?
    I know the rice noodles we use in thailand just need to be put in hot water for a few seconds and they are ready.
    So, are you thinking of cooking the pasta, and then redehyrating it again? I guess that's what you're talking about. seems strange to me but go for it. I wouldn't think it would taste as good the second time.

i dehydrate alot of foods for wilderness trips but i have never attempted plain pasta like spaghetti or rotini. i have learned to dehydrate pirroghis though and they are made basically from pasta. you must cook them first and then dehydrate them. if they are not cooked first, they fall apart when you rehydrate them. don't know if spag. etc. is the same.

Images

I found this thread about dehydrating pasta

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ydrating+pasta

Here is 2 post from that thread

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
    Actually if you want to just add boiling water and let it rehydrate, cooking spaghetti and then dehydrating it works better than trying to do that with store-bought dry spaghetti. I've tried it both ways. If it isn't cooked and then dehydrated, it gets gooey and starchy when just adding boiling water into it in a zip-lock.

Temperature wise on setting the dehydrator, I think I used about 135 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    Exactly By precooking and drying pasta, it basically becomes 'instant' pasta. Undercook it by about 1-2 minutes, as sitting in boiling water finishes it up. Dry it at 135-140* or so till dry. You want to make sure the pasta is really dry (hard hard). Then store in sealed bags till trip time.

To bring back, just pour boiling water to cover (if using small pasta pieces do a 1:1 ratio of water/pasta), make sure pasta is covered, and put in a cozy for 10-15 minutes, and it is ready!
    a
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Dehydrating pasta? Hmm, right up there with dehydrating raisins...
    You are in heaven.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Isn't pasta already dehydrated when you buy it?

Sure, it's dry, but it's not cooked.

Dehydrating cooked pasta is da bomb. Cook some pasta -- little stuff is good, like penne -- then put it in the dehydrator (or the oven at 150F with door cracked) and dry until it's completely dry, not soft at all.

To use, combine equal parts pasta and boiling water in a ziploc freezer bag and put in a cozy for 10 minutes or so. Add some powdered tomatos or some Knorr sauce mix, stir, and enjoy. One cup of pasta is a good starting point.

I think Sarbar has more info on her website (www.freezerbagcooking.com). Finally, get yourself a dehydrator at Wallymart and it opens up a whole world of great homemade backpacking food.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Sure, it's dry, but it's not cooked.

Dehydrating cooked pasta is da bomb. Cook some pasta -- little stuff is good, like penne -- then put it in the dehydrator (or the oven at 150F with door cracked) and dry until it's completely dry, not soft at all.

To use, combine equal parts pasta and boiling water in a ziploc freezer bag and put in a cozy for 10 minutes or so. Add some powdered tomatos or some Knorr sauce mix, stir, and enjoy. One cup of pasta is a good starting point.

I must be dumb... I still don't get it. First you cook it and then you dehydrate it. Then in camp you cook it again ??

Wouldn't plain old store-bought pasta cook just as well, in camp, using the method you describe above?

What am I missing here?

NO! dry pasta that you buy is not cooked. Once you cook the pasta, and then dehydrate, all you will need to bring be back to life its hot or boiling water.leave in cozy to cook thru then eat! does that help clarify things??
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Save yourself all the trouble and get the pasta bits. Add hot water and its ready in a few minutes. I think its called cous cous. Saves a lot of unnecessary time chewing too!

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    NO! dry pasta that you buy is not cooked. Once you cook the pasta, and then dehydrate, all you will need to bring be back to life its hot or boiling water.leave in cozy to cook thru then eat! does that help clarify things??

OK, I just tried this experiment:

1. Boiled 1 cup of water in an Open Country 2.5 cup pot on my canister stove.
    2. Added 1 cup of supermarket Rotini to the water.
    3. Waited another 15-20 seconds for the water to resume boiling.
    4. Turned off the stove, put the pot in its TinMan cozy.
    5. Waited 12 minutes.

Result: the Rotini is fully "cooked" and edible.

So, please tell me what dehydrating the Rotini, in advance, accomplishes?

Images

I agree terrapin, this is da dumb.
    You are in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand View Post
    I agree terrapin, this is da dumb.

Well, I am trying to understand. To my feeble male mind, the verb "to cook" is a bit strong when applied to pasta. You dump it in hot or boiling water, and some time later, you eat it. If that's cooking, then I'm Chez Panisse.

Images

I guess it just seems a little anal to me to need to save ... six minutes. In the grand scheme of things, how much total fossil fuel is being used in this double cooking process. Some dinosaur died for you buddy. Use him efficiently!!!!
    You are in heaven.

Images

Note from my last post...
    Sorry to the Frolicking Dinos. Didnt mean to bring up Uncle Herb's passing again.
    You are in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand View Post
    I guess it just seems a little anal to me to need to save ... six minutes.
    I'm not even sure it did even that. I cooked my store-bought, fresh-out-of-the-box pasta exactly the way "peanuts" said to cook the dehydrated stuff. So what's the point?

To be honest, I've never cooked pasta that way before, and I'd hardly ever used the pot cozy before... so I welcomed the chance to put it to the test.

Images

Barrilla Plus has much more protien in it than regular pasta and the angel hair only takes 10 minutes soaking in boiled water.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
    Barrilla Plus has much more protien in it than regular pasta and the angel hair only takes 10 minutes soaking in boiled water.
    That stuff is da bomb. Anything Barilla makes, if I buy it, I buy it from them. Their garlic, olive oil, pasta, and spices are best of class, and always reasonably priced.
    You are in heaven.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++