WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    With the bit of material I cut off the legs, I was interested to find that I can fairly easily tear the material with my fingers. It doesn't take just trivial force, but it's not that hard either. My concern is that if I have to walk long distances in wet or cold/windy weather, how much will the pack strapping wear on this fairly flimsy material?
    While one set might make a whole thru, your pack straps will eventually wear through them. You'll probably put some holes in them before that, even if you're careful. Duct tape repairs the micropore suits (Dropstoppers, DriDucks) adequately. If I were thruhiking, I'd have a spare set at the ready, perhaps in the bounce box. Fortunately, the low cost makes this easy to do.
    If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do - Warren Miller

Journal Entries
    Images

I had been poo pooing things other than my poncho I bought on campmor. Why? Wonderful memories of hiking in the rain when I was a Boy Scout (with poncho). Anyway, the other day I was at Academy Sports and came across a display of the famous Frog Togs. WOW! Sorry, poncho, in the closet you go. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    I had been poo pooing things other than my poncho I bought on campmor. Why? Wonderful memories of hiking in the rain when I was a Boy Scout (with poncho). Anyway, the other day I was at Academy Sports and came across a display of the famous Frog Togs. WOW! Sorry, poncho, in the closet you go. -SunnyWalker
    Frogg Toggs are great but not the end-all. For the price you can't beat 'em. Perfection in rain gear still eludes us... Toggs get dirty and smelly; you'll still sweat inside 'em. And if you're not terribly careful, they'll tear and pill. Just sayin'. (Oh, and whatever you do -- don't put them in the dryer!!!)

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Terrapin. I did note when I looked them over that they were awfully lightweight. Are these available along the AT?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by frequency View Post
    I am looking for a good 3 season rain gear solution - love a poncho but am hearing about Frogg Toggs. Want to stay dry and cover pack at same time ( which is why I love a poncho and not sweat my self to death.
    Don't know why no one bothered to mention the most obvious solution. Frogg Toggs makes a poncho. You don't have to choose. You can have the poncho AND have Frogg Toggs. I've got one and love it. I'm 6'6" 205 lbs. so the poncho has good coverage if it works for me.

Here's one for $11.50 - cheap enough to by a few:

http://www.thegearlessmachine.com/frtoraslfrsh.html

happy trails--
    GlazeDog
    Start a huge foolish project, like Noah. It makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.----Rumi

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

I've used ponchos, rain suits, and rain jackets made of every material conceivable. Once I tried an Integral Designs rain cape I never had to look further. Keeps me and my pack totally dry. Well, me from the bottoms of my hiking shorts up, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by frequency View Post
    I just did some roof repairs during a cold night in the middle of a Noreaster. My USMC coated nylon poncho gave up the ghost and it seems like it was perforated in every square inch. Better to find this out at home than on the trail in the same conditions. So - bottom line - I am looking for a good 3 season rain gear solution - love a poncho but am hearing about Frogg Toggs. Want to stay dry and cover pack at same time ( which is why I love a poncho and not sweat my self to death. Can anyone opine as to a good cost-effective solution?
    Another poncho

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    I bought the dryducks rain suit recently, and in a fairly brief walkabout in the rain it seems to do a fine job keeping me dry. Be warned that I found this sized on the large size;...My concern is that if I have to walk long distances in wet or cold/windy weather, how much will the pack strapping wear on this fairly flimsy material?
    I bought the DryDucks for my newbie daughter. I think they'd hold up fine for a limited duration section hike with sporadic rain on a groomed trail like the AT. At $15 they're easy to replace as needed. Definitely sized to be extremely roomy.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I like the DIAD and REED combo...for the wt.

Quote Originally Posted by eventidecu View Post
    Has anyone tried the "skirt"? I saw one at Trail Days last year in the outfitters store and all most picked it up. Use a rain Jacket with the skirt that goe's just below the knee's. Like the hiking skirts for men.
    Saw a silnylon rainskirt online, 3 oz. $25, forgot who makes it. Others have suggested using a trashbag as a rainskirt. Cheap and effective. I have a pair of rain pants that I am considering hemming to knee length if the trash bag rainskirt doesn't work for me.

I used the Marmot full zip rain pants in cold weather with a Frog Togg jacket

Quote Originally Posted by GlazeDog View Post
    Don't know why no one bothered to mention the most obvious solution. Frogg Toggs makes a poncho. You don't have to choose. You can have the poncho AND have Frogg Toggs. I've got one and love it. I'm 6'6" 205 lbs. so the poncho has good coverage if it works for me.

Here's one for $11.50 - cheap enough to by a few:

http://www.thegearlessmachine.com/frtoraslfrsh.html

happy trails--
    GlazeDog
    now THAT i didnt know! thanks, im ordering one
    U.S. Marines.
    no better friend. no greater enemy.

just ordered a froggtogg driducks poncho. 11.99 with free shipping. i will report back on how well it works. now, if it would only rain....
    U.S. Marines.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest View Post
    just ordered a froggtogg driducks poncho. 11.99 with free shipping. i will report back on how well it works. now, if it would only rain....
    Congrats!!! Can't wait to hear what you think.
    Start a huge foolish project, like Noah. It makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.----Rumi

I have the packa and am completely satisified with it. Lightweight, works great, covers ruck also, no complaints, would buy again any day of the week.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

being disappointed in my precip led me to come up w/ the following idea:

put precip on. bought a emergency poncho from kmart ($.99). cut the front of it out up to my collarbone. basically, a 99 cent pack cover and also covers the shoulder straps on my pack and keeps water from running down my back. weight is minimal, durability may be an issue, but hey, it's 99 cents. haven't gotten to test it much, b/c it's july in pa and dry, but time will tell

the froggtogg driduck poncho came in the mail today. 11.95 with free shipping. they were out of khaki. so i chose green over black.
    all ive had a chance to do is open it and throw it on at lunch. hopefully (comeon hurricane dolly!) i will get some rain to test it in.
    so here is a very preliminary report.
    comes with a little built in bag inside and under the hood.
    its way too small. "one size fits most" is a curious statement. most what? midget circus performers???? the "sleeves" of the poncho end up at mid forearm. it falls just at knee level.
    tonight i will try it on with my pack, go out in the street naked except for the poncho, and see if i get arrested.
    U.S. Marines.

Images

the driduck poncho may work well for my cape if this emergency poncho gets destroyed to easily

oh i thinkit would be fine for what you described....
    and to be fair, i have a long poncho history...but im used to military ponchos which are larger. i may find this one is plenty big enough once i use it.
    U.S. Marines.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest View Post
    i may find this one is plenty big enough once i use it.
    Glad to see you finally got your poncho. I hope you find that the top of the knee length long enough--it was for me, but yes it does take a mental adjustment. Please keep us updated.

GlazeDog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++