WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Question

Quote Originally Posted by oldfivetango View Post
    My apologies to you,Copythat.It's just that I initially didn't
    consider cutting or stabbing someone with a knife to be something
    that really requires much training as compared to other things like
    the martial arts or using a firearm properly,etc.So,please forgive me
    for improperly deducing or implying that you had a leftward slant,
    which you obviously do not since you are packing that BADASS S&W
    3.25 folder which is plenty enough to get the job done in a pinch and
    for using it in an elevator!Man,I would love to hear that story.
    You are correct that training is key;which is why I do not supply my
    wife or daughters with anything other than spray because I doubt they
    could use anything else effectively and, in fact, a hard weapon would be
    much more of a liability for them in that event.
    Since using a knife for self defense for the average male is not exactly
    rocket science I would stress that mental preparation and the readiness to
    actually use it is the real issue here.One more thing I would like to point out
    is that pulling a weapon is absolutely the last resort because it will only make a touchy situation worse.Better to make like that Kenny Rogers song
    and "walk away from trouble when you can"-but just like that ole boy in the elevator-you can't always do that now can you?Anywhow,I salute you
    for that!And I stand corrected.
    Oldfivetango
    and my apologies for getting cranky and for ranting. (i have my german grandfather's temper. a great thing to take after him in many ways, but not to have taken on his temper!)

that knife of mine won't keep the gram weenies happy, but it is a great tool. cuts cheese great, whittles great for those times i've forgotten my spork ... balances great AND it opens as fast as a switchblade and makes plenty of noise when it does.

(i like the 'tango' in your name. not long ago on the high seas it meant 'keep clear of me'!)

happy and safe new year, oft. and best wishes.
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

Real men carry bazookas.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Real men carry bazookas.

check out the loft on these babies!

http://www.touredge.com/products/mens/qlwoods.html

keep you toasty pretty much ANYwhere.
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

i never hike without several forms of self defence. first i allways have a shotgun and a bolaro with about 20 shells. i like to mix em up, sluggers and 00 buckshot. next i carry two pistols. a 45 on my thigh and four clips for it. and a 45 under my arm for back up. with two clips . all these rounds are glazers. next i have my kabar marine fighting knife. its on my other theigh. and to round things out, i carry two slingshots with both glass and steel ammo. the david style soft slingshot is in my pocket in case of last resort . and my folding wristrocket slingshot is in my pack.i figure we should be like denero in taxi when were out and about in this crazy world. i like a shoot first ask questions later type approch to hiking the AT . mostly i just shoot innocent birds and critters. but i hope to get me some horse theives some day. it must be great to dispence justice on a wim. hangin. theres a sport. i never met a hiker on the AT i didnt feel needed a good woopin, its just that they smell and i didnt wanna get mildred upset a commin home all smellt.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Real men carry bazookas.
    Chuck Norris is a real man, and he wouldn't need a knife or a bazooka. His entire body is a weapon.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95 View Post
    Do you understand that if you draw a knife to defend yourself, you pretty much HAVE to use it if it's presentation doesn't immediately send the attacker running? Do you understand that a knife's stopping power is nil and that to stop and attacker with a knife, you have to do more than inflict a few superficial cuts, you have to cut through critical tendons to restrict his movement and/or injure critical blood bearing organs or arteries to cause rapid hypovolemic shock?

These are questions you have to answer for yourself, realistically and honestly. These ARE NOT easy issues. They are morally, ethically and aesthetically UGLY, and there really aren't any right answers to them. Inflammatory language only makes it uglier.
    Some interesting thoughts here. I'm little surprised The Weasel has not been heard on this. I know this is off the original topic a bit and I'm not looking to turn this into a legal issue, but just want to pose some food for thought. If you do thwart an attack by using violence, be it self-defense with or without a weapon (but certainly more so when weapons are involved) you need to answer for those actions... whether justified or not. Just the other day I was watching a re-run of Deliverance. Remember the debate scene after "Lewis" shot the "mountain man" in the back with the arrow? Whether Lewis' actions were justified or not, he knew he would have to defend himself (his actions) before a court of law. As Lewis pointed out, he didn't want to go trial with the any of the mountain man's relatives sitting in the jury box.

I am not suggesting for you to be passive and not defend yourself or another, but just for you to be brutally aware of the consequences of your actions in terms of whether you will be deemed to be morally right, ethically right, and most importantly, legally right.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

For 1st quality fighting knifes , go to http://www.topsknives.com/
    For knife fighting instructional videos go to http://www.coldsteel.com/edweaptrain.html
    Just remember , it takes at least 10 years of daily training before you are more dangerous to anyone other than your self. If you aren't prepared and ready to kill with a weapon when you pull it, you have just armed your attacker.

This debate seems to come up a couple times a year. Amazingly enough, this time it has remained fairly civil. Bravo!!

I carry the smaller, 5" version of the KABAR. I use it for camping and hunting. Great at cutting wood for stakes, shaving logs for kindling and fuel for the Nomad stove and cleaning game. Best of all this knife is practically bullet proof. I don't carry it for defense, I don't have training. I do feel that I could figure out how to stick someone a few times if the need come up. Lets all pray it doesn't.
    I also carry a gun whenever I legally can. This includes for hiking and canoeing. I just like guns and knives. I've been known to wake up early and try to bag a coyote or other game. Sometimes we find time for some target practice. Here in Iowa there is always something "in season". Also, fact is, I'd feel dang stupid if I needed and I left it at home. The one trip I took with out a gun in recent years was also the trip where I came close to needing a gun. I'll never have to use a gun or a knife (Thank God) but heck, I've never once got home, to camp, or to a hotel and said "Geez, I wish I would of left it behind". I have however said that about the wife, the kids, the tent, the sleeping pad, the gas stove, etc.

Moral of the story, if you want to take a knife, even a big one, and it's legal for you to do so, than do it. In reality, you don't owe an explanation to anyone. If someone is uncomfortable being around a person with a knife or gun, good. More than likely they are the kind of person I like seeing uncomfortable. But if they look at them and say, "Cool, is that a Ruger?" or "What kinda steal did they use in that knife" I have a feeling we will get along just dandy.

CB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    ...for me a Glock Mod 30 with 10 hardball rounds weighs 34.56 ounces too much for toting along the AT.
    Yeah, but it makes a nice hammer to drive tent stakes.

Kel-Tec P3AT, .380 auto, under 10 oz with 7 rounds. I don't put a lot of rounds through mine, but the model with the hard chrome slide is considered more reliable by LEO's.

http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at.html
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

I've got one of those big ole Buck sheath knives I will use on the AT Thru Hike. I don't see it for protection though. Certainly, over the years th least of my worries has been Coyotes. And I have tented and hammocked. The knife was a gift and it would mean a lot to my dau to take it. Also, when I was a kid we always used single blades knives such as this on camping and long hikes, short hikes, etc. Do I care what ogthers might think? I might, I might not. If they do bother me I will just hike on or find a different camping spot. To each his own. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

Gravity Blade!

This side of the dirt
    Images

Default Coyotes

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoda View Post
    the coyote problem I have had with tents is not fun even though it keeps me up at night.
    I will admit that I did not read all of the posts so this may have been mentioned before.

Once you string your hammock urinate in various areas near and around your hammock, to mark "your" territory. While guiding if someone shot an elk late in the day we would gut it out - drag the gut pile away and then urinate around (not ON!) the elk. NEVER had a problem with the coyotes touching the animal.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

I think the point is, unless you have training, having toilet paper for wiping your butt isn't going to do you much good.

It's like carrying a map, compass and/or ice ax. They really do you no good unless you know how to use them and in some cases, unless you know how to use them may do more harm.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Journal Entries
    Images

Really though, I think the most efficient "device" for "self defense" on the AT is a small spray can of OC and/or CS, i.e., orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile(CS), oleoresin capsicum (OC). This will give the hiker confidence and the ability to knock someone down and to get away. I carry it and you can find different "models" of this at various outdoor stores and etc. I saw a display at the local Gander Mtn., that had 12 different product/cans of this.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Default Hey Skid

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Along those lines, I really do carry a Chef's knife, although it is a Chinese Chef's knife.

1.3 ounces with sheath.
    Would you please provide the link that shows the other info and has the

buy it link on it.

The link you provided only lets you see a pic of the knife. I like what I see

a lot, and carry a smaller version. Expensive ?

I have, and will again, used pepper spray, rocks, and proper sized sticks in

self-defense from animals, both two and four legged.

A fixed bayonet on a M-14 would work pretty good. Shoot em, cut em up,

and put em on a spit !
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++