WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Images

Default NOBO 2007 Sightings

Stumpknocker and I were out dayhiking near Unicoi Gap today and ran across what seems to be the first NOBO of the 2007 hiking season.

The young man goes by the trail name of Ghost. He told us that when passed through Neels Gap/Mountain Crossings he was informed that he was the first of the class of 2007 to go through.

There may be debate ... hmmmm.... not with this group surely... whether you want to call him the first 2007 or the last 2006 as he left Springer on December 28.

Mother Nature
    Sue Buak

Yeah, debatable... Ghost is a sandbagging cheater!!! I met 4 last weekend at the Black Mountain (Approach Trail) and Springer Shelters that were staring on the 1st.

Images

Stumpy remembered those four as well but this I guess is the first to have passed through the store at Mountain Crossings.

It was a great day in the mountains today!!!

MN
    Sue Buak

LOL... maybe Ghost wanted to avoid the crowds and started early!

March 19th seems like forever away...especially knowing that people are starting already and there is no snow down south. It's going to be a long 73 days 21 hrs and 22 min.

I talked a bit with Ghost at Springer Shelter - seems to be pushing hard so as to finish the trail in time for a wedding. I was not impressed with his approach to trash disposal - MRE crap tossed in front of the shelter and other MRE crap left in the shelter. I consider him to be the last of the 2006 class.

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    I was not impressed with his approach to trash disposal - MRE crap tossed in front of the shelter and other MRE crap left in the shelter.
    Me neither! Slob hiker.

I talked a bit with Ghost at Springer Shelter - seems to be pushing hard so as to finish the trail in time for a wedding. I was not impressed with his approach to trash disposal - MRE crap tossed in front of the shelter and other MRE crap left in the shelter. I consider him to be the last of the 2006 class.
    Ghost doesn't have to push too hard...he has 6 1/2 months before his fiancee wants him done.

HOI....are you sure the trash was his???

Mother Nature.....it was indeed a beautiful day for a walk....thanks!!
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

I am sure the trash in front of the shelter was his - he mentioned it in passing - I probably should have jumped on his case but ... I didn't - I was expecting to have a fire later and the MRE stuff can be burnt. WRT the stuff up stairs in the shelter - not known if that was his or not.

Did they ever get a fire going NYE - when I left at 11 AM NYE having given up on the idea as a lost cause (wet bag etc.) it did not look like the rain was going to stop long enough to get the fire going.

Did they ever get a fire going NYE - when I left at 11 AM NYE having given up on the idea as a lost cause (wet bag etc.) it did not look like the rain was going to stop long enough to get the fire going.
    There were fire builders at work and they were well on their way to having a small fire going. It was raining hard, so I went and set up my tent about 8 or 9pm and ended up staying in my bag the rest of the night.

Too bad I mssed you. Ended up being about 30 people up there, but not many standing in the rain.
    Stumpknocker

yeah it would have been good to see you again stumpknocker - would have been the third year in a row - oh well

Wow, they really have people starting that early. Jeez.....
    A t-shirt never made:
    I only do what the White Blazes tell me to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bunyan View Post
    Wow, they really have people starting that early. Jeez.....
    I had 2 northbounders checked in with us last night in Franklin.It was Flying Monkey and Donner.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiamalle View Post
    I had 2 northbounders checked in with us last night in Franklin.It was Flying Monkey and Donner.

Lucky guys. Weather's been great though, all Dec and Jan. Suppose to be 70 on Saturday. Sure hope it holds for March.

We'll see you probably around March 10 give or take, tiamalle. We plan to stay there - Blissful, Paul Bunyan and Skipper.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Another nobo sighting. Hikernutt is thru hiking this year. I ran into her husband, Tim, today south of Woody Gap.

The three of us ended up eating at The Cookie Jar in Blairsville.

They are spending a night at my place. Hikernutt will continue north tomorrow and her husband is going home to work on keeping her credit card paid off.

Good luck Hikernutt!!!!
    Stumpknocker

Images

Ran into Flying monkey on new years eve. Hes not a thru hiker just like me a section hiker. Only out for 30 days/

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Ran into Flying monkey on new years eve. Hes not a thru hiker just like me a section hiker. Only out for 30 days/
    ONLY out for 30 days??????????.................that's a good walk!!!!!!!!
    Stumpknocker

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    everybody that leaves springer is just a section hiker. if and when they get to katahdin they become a through hiker because they're all through with hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    everybody that leaves springer is just a section hiker. if and when they get to katahdin they become a through hiker because they're all through with hiking.

If you have to be through with hiking to be one, I don't ever wanna be a through hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    If you have to be through with hiking to be one, I don't ever wanna be a through hiker.
    all through hiking for that season, generally.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++