Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Images

WOW you guys......I just jumped back on here after forgetting my screen name and password.

THANKS for all the replies.
    UPDATE:
    I am still fat.
    I have hiked with TT and Bluegill. LOVE it. I keep up along with them. I think that I am about 60 lbs overweight. Not sure what I weigh anymore.
    Not only have I hiked, we all took up kayaking. To me, that is more grueling than hiking.
    I dont huff and puff that much hiking now. I still dont smoke thank my dear God Almighty.
    I look forward to meeting some of you one day on hikes. I dont hike in the summer. Too hot for a middle aged woman going thru the change.
    I will this fall so look out. I will advise how it goes.
    Anyone in Florida that kayaks, go to our site at www.clubkayak.com/lcp and register with us. We stay cool doing this until we can hike in the fall.
    Love you guys!

Images

Oh, well, while the thread is alive again...

Last year about this time I weighed 320 pounds. I currently weigh 245 pounds -- still about 60 pounds overweight. I don't exercise, but this Summer I've been exploring the local trails when I have the time. My weight loss has been a side effect of transitioning to a raw vegan diet.

Even if I weren't losing weight, I'd keep eating like this. I'm healthier than I've ever been in my whole life and I like to think I've reduced my negative impact on the environment.

I can't say what the secret to happiness is, but I'll bet it involves comfortable shoes and plenty of fiber.

Mommy, Wife, Avid Outdoor Enthusiast soulshine26's Avatar

Wow, bumpjumper, good for you!

I feel your pain on the weight thing. I have been on a 3 year hiatus since I got pregnant with my son. When I was hiking before, I was a skinny little thing who actually smoked cigarettes on the trail and didn't miss a step. Now, after gaining 72lbs with my pregnancy (I have lost all but about 25lbs of it) I am not the fit little thing I used to be. I don't smoke anymore (quit when I found out I was pregnant), though, so maybe that will compensate somehow. My hubby and I mountain bike to keep in shape but we are ready to hit the trail again.

We will have to keep each other posted on progress! I bet you will get skinny as can be with all that paddling and hiking! My hubby and I are taking our first long hiking trip in about a month, (28 miles in 3 days) so I'll let you know how I hold up as compared to how I used to! We are going to Santee this weekend to try our hand at kayaking, so you'll have to give me some pointers!

It's a great thing to get yourself out on the trail in any condition. As you spend more time hiking, climbing, descending, breathing hard, etc., you'll begin to lose many of those extra pounds. As someone who has his share of that "extra" and needs to get rid of too much of it, I can sympathise with you. At home, walk EVERYDAY for at least an hour. Get yourself up to about 4 MPH and you'll begin to lean out. Your heart will begin to pump that extra oxygen you'll need on the trail and your muscles will become toned to the point where they won't hurt TOO MUCH when you finally take a long one. Conditioning is important. At least once a week get out and spend at least two to three hours walking at a brisk pace.
    Regarding gear: pack as light as you possibly can! I recently purchased a Marmot Atom sleeping bag for myself. I tried it put after I arrived back home only to find that it is a bit snug in the middle section (way too much of that GORP stuff!). I can fit into it, but I can't roll around in the bag unless I take the bag all the way around with me! Try the gear at the store, no matter how silly it may look! Be sure you get a backpack at a reputable outfitter who will be able to help you fit it to your body. Nothing worse than having all that weight bouncing around on your back and irritating places you didn't realize you had! Use knee supports if you're really heavy! That's where you'll feel it first and it takes a long time for them to heal!!! Been there, done that!
    Grumpy Ol' Pops

Hold onto dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

I just started hiking . I smoked for almost 40 yrs until a month ago. I am 40 lbs overweight and did not do any kind of exercise in over 10 yrs. The only thing I had going for me was I just moved onto the side of a mountain which I had strengthend my legs just to get around my yard. It is only up hill and downhill for me even to the car plus I have to go up and down stairs many times a day in my house. I guess I built up the strenght in my legs for hiking from where I live, my feet and ankles were the only thing that has been hurting. My first hike was 8 miles mostly very slow incline. My 2nd hike was really hard and we only went 5 miles but 1 mile of it was straight up and down Instead of taking the trailhead with a slow incline which is 2 miles long before even getting to the trail. I left thru my backyard which gettting to the trail required a straight climb uphill of 1000 ft I was totally out of breath but did it stopping many many times. Of course we got lost on the way back leaving the trail. We ended up in one of neighbors back yards instead. It also started pouring while we were lost so we ended up soaked.

I suggest you just stop and rest as often as you find you need to and if you are climbing in the mountains to take really slow inclines I found those area's are hard. I feel great just by quitting smoking and ability to hike is what is going to keep me from ever smoking again. I look back just one month and realize. If I was lighting up I would not make it 1 mile and not uphil at all.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Default Update!

Perhaps some advice on what fits and what doesn't may be of use to you.

The Montbell Super Stretch bags fit up to a 70 and 1/2 inch girth. Light weight, good price, and it fits well.

Golite has just come out with a XXL windshirt.

Patagonia has XXL Micropuff vests and XXL Micropuff jackets. Otherwise, XXL stuff is harder to find.

Columbia carries up to a XXXL Fleece jacket (My Nephew is 6ft 6in.)

ULA-Equipment will add several inches to your pack straps, lenghten your hip belt, or lengthen your chest strap for no or little extra charge if you request it when you order a new pack.

Other thoughts?

Ah! This is the thread I've been looking for.

I've been walking for over six months now, mostly on flat ground without any pack. So far by watching my diet along with that exercise alone I've been able to lose 50 lbs. Starting with one mile circuits that left me hurting and somewhat winded, I've pushed my daily walks out to six miles, where I'm still comfortable. Oh yea, I started out at 374 lbs. and 6'-03"

I'm doing a few weeks of zeros right now, while the plantar fasciitis flare in my right foot quiets down, then I'm going to push my comfort zone up to eight miles a day.

I need to take it easy each day and listen to my body to see how much I can do. So far I can walk out three miles and then back with a few five minute breaks. I've only been obese for about twelve years, but in that time I've done a little damage to various joints forced to carry the overload. Now, as I release the grease, I'm trying to strengthen and heal that damage as gently as I can, without doing additional damage.

I'm truly blessed to be able to do my daily exercise along the eastshore of the San Francisco Bay. On the way back from my turning point I can watch the sun set behind the S.F. city skyline - very beautiful.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A am a bit overweight myself. I started out hiking close to 300lbs, but I lost about 20-25 lbs within the last year.

The main thing to do is to know your limits, but also push yourself a little harder.

Start out slowly. I won't recommend hiking the whole AT. Start day hiking any chance you get. I have been day hiking every chance I get; my days off, and even before and after work. Then incorporate a some small overnight section hikes once or twice a month.

Hike flatlands, rolling hills, or gradual ridgelines at first. Don't try hiking up and down entire mountains. Then mix in some small ridge climbs then slowly work more elevataion change in. Whenever you feel winded, try not to stop immediately. Push yourself another 10-20 feet.

Another good tip I been learning is what to eat/drink on and off trail. Obviously nothing really heavy. Learn to drink water through out the day. The more water you drink, the better hydrated your body is. Eat more small meals throughout the day instead of 3 big meals.

And when you do hike, eat lots of protein, calcium, and potassium. Keep a banana, Snickers, or PBJ on hand. Helps keep bones and skin in check.

Equipment wise. Look at a frame pack. They are more suited for larger waistlines. Also they take more pressure off the back and shoulders. When day hiking, weigh down your pack a bit with extra water or clothing. This gets your body used to carrying a real heavy pack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by serenityrich View Post

I'm doing a few weeks of zeros right now, while the plantar fasciitis flare in my right foot quiets down, then I'm going to push my comfort zone up to eight miles a day.
    I can relate to the plantar fasciitis which is very hard to overcome esp. if you are a big'un such as myself. If you can't walk, you sure can't hike. Daily foot exercises helped tons, also adding Birkenstock insoles for arch support in my everyday shoes. I still wear Birkenstock sandals in the house but losing 50 lbs. helped most of all.

At 6'4" usually 290-310 lbs. finding functional hiking clothes that fit are next to impossible. Campmor's largest size is 2X. REI has recently some added Big/Tall sizes to their name brand clothing line. This is on-line only and apparently for a limited time since some of the 3X & 4X sizes are not being restocked. Cabela and Bass Pro Shop has some larger clothes to 5X but is geared mostly to the hunting crowd. I'm highly satisfied with REI quality and return policy and have bought some things lately I never thought I would see in Big/Tall sizes.

I guess the world in general thinks a fat man is not supposed to hike but I ain't listening.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post
    Ok, I am new to this hiking thing. Trailtalker got me into it. I want to know how hard this is going to be for an overweight woman to do.
    No fat jokes ok.....
    I ain't morbidly obese but I carry a lot of extra weight.
    I'm pretty fat, and I hike a LOT. Just take it easy and work yourself into it.

L.L.Bean has a good section of XXL / TALL hiking clothing. It's the only retalier selling clothing in tall and fat sizes, Even in smaller sizes its hard to find good clothing in TALL sizes.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Thumbs up Overweight Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Go for it. I leave in mid March and will see you out there somewhere.

Funny thing is, I think everyone that is doing a thru that tells people who do not hike that are are doing it get told some sort of reason why they shouldn't do it or will fail. I have been told I will get bored, get hurt, be to cold, be to hot, miss everything back home, and generally not smart for taking time to do what I really want to do.

In the end do what you want to do and don't listen to anyone else.
    This is an oldie thread but a goodie too. My daughters began asking about my druthers about my body when I died. That one was enough, but one evening at Weight Watchers at Marion, Virginia, a woman told me that I would be murdered. I tried to argue with her (you know, using facts, for instance). She would have none of it. I would be murdered.

Yeah, right.

It IS important to lighten every possible bit of weight that your feet must carry in advance. One pound = 16 oz. = 1 pound = 16 0z., etc. No pounds lost, whether from pack or body, will be missed. All pounds of muscle gained in advance will be appreciated. And, besides, preparation is a large bit of the fun. Good luck.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Stumbling along a path to a trail I'll never find

Quote Originally Posted by serenityrich View Post

Aw Geez! You were my inspiration to double my morning walk to 4 mi a day and now you’re going to 8?????<G>
    I’ve been at 5 mi for a few days now and will increase that but I’m being cautious, much as you are, trying to learn as much as I can about what is happening with my body, what the new aches mean & how to deal with them.
    The Walking Site is most helpful and by following their recommendations I have fewer problems. Lots of stuff to learn and it seems a lot more training is in order before I tackle the mountains.

Keep at it and I’d like to hear how you’re doing with your program.
    Kiyu

(Sorry for posting here ladies but this is where the tread was and there is no forum for overweight or older hikers here.)
    "Experience - that thing you only get immediately after you needed it."

i can add my opinion here? i currently weigh around 230, when for my height (5'7") i should weigh somewhere between 140-150.

for having what amounts to almost zero physical training/prep. the first day was wicked hard. i couldn't walk a few steps without stopping to catch my breath and my heart was pounding so hard from the effort, it felt like my whole upper body was throbbing. about midway through the day, i noticed that my heart had stopped pounding so bad and, while i still had to catch breath it didn't take so long to catch it. i think my body was getting into the swing of things.

the second day was even easier. i still had to take many quick breaks, but there was more distance in between these breaks. i was able to walk much farther. also, these breaks were more due to being physically sore and my muscles tiring out.

the conditioning is surprisingly quick. the advice of not pushing yourself too hard is a good one that i think must be followed.. i really need to pay attention to that when i get back on the trail.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Female dino is working out again after having tons of company for weeks on end (living near the GSMNP is both a blessing and a curse). Weight is up 3# from tha workout hiatus and pigging out with my grandkids.

I've been struggling with my weight for almost ten years now. I was able to lose weight once by walking but it came back later on. But, when I decided that it was time to hike the AT. Well.... it just seems easier now.

Images

Talking

I know most Americans are overweight but that doesnt excuse us.

Trailtalker just got back from a three week hike in AT VA.
    I was so jealous. I cant wait to get to that point.
    Thanks to all of you who have been a BIG encouragement. Yall are great.
    I live in Fla so I have only flatlands to walk. Occassionally, we will find an incline

Yes this is an older thread but had it not been so long, I would not have gotten everything out of it.

I will have to try LLBeans. I cannot find anything my size (18)
    I have even been looking for kayaking clothing and cant find any of that as well.
    I leave for GA mountains tomorrow morning and will be kayaking the Nantahala on Thursday so I was looking for some splash clothing.
    So far my feet are ok, but I did have knees aches and pains. Like needles in them. What is that about.

I walk 3.5 miles three times a week as I am over weight as well. I try and walk around 5:30 AM as I feel better during the day.

I try and drink about 90 oz of water a day and I eat 1/2 cup raisan bran w/skim milk every morning. For lunch turkey sandwich with mustard and an apple and some baked lays chips. For supper Chicken either grilled or baked or a facsimilee there of! On the weekends I splurge a little!

I found that doing 100 calf raisers every morning helps with my legs. This helps me with those hills alot. Usually when I get to a hill I go into "granny" gear! The way I figure it is that hill has been there longer than me and I ain't gonna beat it.It also helps me not having to stop as much. Slower consistant pace. Then when I get to a straight away or a downhill I kick it up a notch. Sorry to be so long winded!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

BumperJumper - this is where I got many of my clothes before I dropped down into the sizes outfitters typically carry: Junonia

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Bump Jumper,

I too live in Florida. While not overweight by any stretch of imagination, I found the actual trail to be beyond hard, in spite of walking five miles a day in preparation.

After returning from the week hike, I began to go to the local high school and climbing the football field stands. Doing this with a 30 pound pack approximated the actual trail.

Mine arena is 50 feet high. You can get a feel for what the real deal is like.

It WILL be very hard at first, but a time or two each week, and adding a pack after you get more fit will have you reaching the trail ready to hike and without suprises.

Miles of Smiles
    Tom

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++