Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    Images

It doesn't seem at all unreasonable to ask a prospective hiking partner about their physical condition. The rub is that often the least able hikers are so ignorant about hiking that they can't even give a reliable assessment of their ability. This is not a criticism, it's simply a fact.

Of course, gender and weight issues are only part of whether a person will be a suitable hiking partner. I've had some unfortunate experiences with hiking partners "met" online...and I've had some good ones, too. My best advice is to plan something very short and simple, with good bail-out options. Don't share gear, and make sure your partner understands that, if he/she quits, you are planning to go on, and you expect the same from them.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    ...It doesn't seem at all unreasonable to ask a prospective hiking partner about their physical condition. ......

..........Of course, gender and weight issues are only part of whether a person will be a suitable hiking partner........
    I agree, If you can't see the person, it's tough to determine. I use dress, pant size, or recent hiking experience (not their weight). if they lie they're on their own, if they can walk off and leave me in the dust, well I guess that was the one-ton marathon runner I spoke of. My philosophy is: "It's easier to carry a 150# hiker, instead of anybody larger, out of the mountains.

Another peeve of mine is to never hike with someone I know that can or will go into anaphylactic shock if stung. Unless they carry Epinephrine.

Images

I've always had to watch my weight. In the Marine Corps, I typically had to starve my self to stay within weight standards, up to the point of being bulimic in the weeks preceding weigh-ins and the twice-a-year physical fitness test.

When I hiked the AT, I had just gotten out. I was 207 and about 15% body fat. I finished at 168 and about 9% body fat. It was scary.

In the last few years, I have taught full time, worked part time for an outfitter, and worked on my master's degree. It has taken a toll. My school-year weight will push up to 260, maybe even 275, but I have my summers off when I put in 400-500 miles. I drop as low as 220 or 230, only to gain lots back over the year. This isn't due to sloth. I work out 3-5 days a week, usually hiking with a pack for some of the time, managing 3-10 miles a week.

The result is that my "trail muscles" are conditioned I can comfortably step out and hike 12-15 mountain miles (meaning decent elevation gain and loss) at the start of a long break. By summer's end, I usually do 20-milers again.

Some who see me wonder how I do bigger miles. It's simple. I keep my "hiking muscles" in reasonable shape during the year, even if my body fat builds up. Get out there and walk with some light pack weight a couple or three times each week. You'll quickly see how much your endurance builds up. And remember, it's just walking. Any one blessed with good health does it every day.
    Last edited by Bearpaw; 12-05-2007 at 09:13.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Dan View Post
    Ladies please remember some in-shape hikers may not wish to hike with anyone they deem a health risk to themselves. They also may feel slowed down. If asked about your "size" if/when you attempt to locate a hiking partner by "Private Messaging" It's not always meant as "hitting" on you.
    I just got reported to attrol by an unknown person who first contacted me about hiking. I was accused of this very thing for asking this person's (not so sure it was female) dress size (I would ask pants size if a male wanting to hike). I explained I do discriminate (even if they are currently a one-ton gold metal Olympic marathon runner, I'm not taking the chance). And I realize other health issues could be happening with a skinny hiker. I've already had a very bad experience with an overweight hiking partner and refuse to let it happen again. PS: I don't blindly PM others about "getting together". If I don't know you, it's not happening.
    I've got the feeling that a lot of folks won't hike with you now, even the thinner ones. I can't say that that bothers me.

Edit: It'd be a lot less jerky to ask how many miles they're used to hiking per day.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 12-05-2007 at 00:28.
    Just hike.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Another peeve of mine is to never hike with someone I know that can or will go into anaphylactic shock if stung. Unless they carry Epinephrine.
    oh my word...you're kidding, right?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    oh my word...you're kidding, right?
    From reading his last few posts, I doubt that he is.
    Just hike.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

If he feels that he is unable to help in the event of a medical crisis the above makes sense. It's sort of like moving out of the emergency exit row on the airplane. Asking a hiking partner to carry the medicine that they would need to not die in front of you is pretty reasonable.

In the hiking community we should be able to tolerate different ways of socially interacting, lots of us (especially me) are oddballs. So he attempted to assess someone's fitness level by asking her dress size? Acceptable in normal society? No. Acceptable in hiker society? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    From reading his last few posts, I doubt that he is.
    Sounds like said poster is fo very locked up that he can't conceive of how other might feel about is words or actions. A tough affliction when trying to communicate in this world successfully. Probably thinks pink blazing is a very innocent and endearing term.

Perfectly acceptable worries and questions. I'd rather hike with someone who was concerned about how to handle or prevent an emergency than someone blindly stumbling along.

Quote Originally Posted by EWS View Post
    Perfectly acceptable worries and questions. I'd rather hike with someone who was concerned about how to handle or prevent an emergency than someone blindly stumbling along.
    If that's all there was to it then yes, definitively. But there's another energy present in this particular case when you read the above posts on the page.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    If that's all there was to it then yes, definitively. But there's another energy present in this particular case when you read the above posts on the page.
    Dan posted twice that I saw. I think his words are blunt and that offended some sensitive sensibilities.

In the only three semi-real jobs I've had as an adult (military, scuba instructor, sailing skipper). Knowing peoples medical conditions, medications, and level of fitness were issues that were directly addressed before activity began. I've had people get pissed (later two occupations), and not just little, when I've told them I wasn't going to take their money.

I'm a skinny bastard now, due to a few bouts with exploding arse and mouth this year, but know that is a potential liability only in extreme circumstances.

Nevertheless, I find his concern genuine. Toe-me-toe Tah-ma-toe

I here ya dude. You used the word sensibilities and I learned about those from the most beautiful woman I'll ever know. They are the first thing I consider when speaking with others. The pertinent info can be achieved without stepping on anothers sensibilities.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    I here ya dude. You used the word sensibilities and I learned about those from the most beautiful woman I'll ever know. They are the first thing I consider when speaking with others. The pertinent info can be achieved without stepping on another's sensibilities.
    Then there's those that just don't care!

Me, I get pissed off too easily.
    Just hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Then there's those that just don't care!

Me, I get pissed off too easily.
    I care when others act the bull in people's china shops. I didn't used to but I do now. I have more than I used to.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

IMO assuming that a person's weight automatically means a certain level of fitness is wrong. Some people are just bigger than others no matter how much they work out or how physically fit they are for intense aerobic activities like hiking up Katahdin. I know plenty of size 6 people that can't keep up with me and I'm not a great athlete by anyone's standards.

So anybody want to wobble down the trail with a fluffy, slow-moving dino ?

I have a grandson (age 19) with celiac disease and I am ever mindful of his medical needs when I take him hiking. If he were hiking with a total stranger he met on the Internet, I would hope he would have the sense to tell the other person about his medical condition before they embarked.

Hiking ability is a function of lung power divided by total weight on feet.
    Some hiking broads have just as much lung power as a lot of hiking dudes.
    They have a right to weigh just as much as I do.

Some people believe that being overweight is "natural or hormonal" no way will they ever be thin.

--well--

I've seen many pictures taken in concentration camps, I've yet to see anyone obese.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Hiking ability is a function of lung power divided by total weight on feet.
    Some hiking broads have just as much lung power as a lot of hiking dudes.
    They have a right to weigh just as much as I do.
    What about muscle, joints, tendons, cartilage, cardio, and all that other stuff

Images

Some people believe that being overweight is "natural or hormonal" no way will they ever be thin.

--well--

I've seen many pictures taken in concentration camps, I've yet to see anyone obese.
    This is true, but I have to say that two of the hiking partners who dropped out very early were not overweight.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

As a mother of a son whom we didn't know was allergic to bee stings until it happened, I found the words "pet peeve" if someone has an allergy a weird way of characterizing this type of illness. It makes me wonder if the hiker would help in a crisis or if the crisis would put him (or her) out. All hikers should know first aid anyway. It's part of getting ready for the outdoors. If you don't then you don't belong out there.

I just hope that people will be there to help others in crisis and not find that a hiker's vulnerability cramps their 20 plus mile style. It isn't all about me me, me out there. I thank God for hikers that came to our rescue when our food quota and other things didn't work out because of circumstances beyond our control.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++