Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24

Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere - I looked a bit and couldn't find it.

I am an overweight lady trying to get trail ready for a thru hike in the spring. To give you an idea - 5'7, about 280 pounds. I'm mainly going to lose weight and change my way of thinking. I've been through some stuff and am ready to get gone! This thread has been SO HELPFUL AND ENCOURAGING. I really appreciate it.

My question of the moment is in regards to gear - I'm looking online currently at backpacks and sleeping bags with the intention of also checking in store later, but am doing my research. Has anyone had any issue with fitting into sleeping bags/are there are bags that are roomier but still lightweight and compact? Also, with backpacks, are there any packs anyone can suggest that are widely adjustable and comfy for larger bodies? If I'm going to be losing weight along the way I'll need to adjust it, but it's gotta be bigger at the start too.

For reference - waist is about 42 in hips 60. Hips are always where things are snug on me.

I think packstraps that are wide on the shoulders could be more comfortable.

The Granite Gear website has shoulder straps that are wide.

otherwise, pack fit would be determined by length from C7 neck to waist: see sizing help. There are differences: one sizing help wants the length from C7 neck to the illiac crest of the hip.

Sleeping bags for women are the right shape for women. The Big Agnes brand fits bigger men and women.

I use a sleeping quilt. If 280 lbs. for 5'7" I would select Wide instead of Standard. I would select a skeeping pad by width, as well. Start with 25" wide air mattress or inflatable sleeping pad.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-02-2015 at 09:28.

Journal Entries

Move more! Eat less!

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Move more! Eat less!
    Why be a butt? She was honest, open and sincere and asked questions relevant to her, but you contributed nothing but a negative comment. Someone who admits to being overweight and wanting to do something about it should be provided support and positive feedback. if you can't do that, it is very easy to simply say nothing at all.
    Many Moons - While I wish you the best in your hiking endeavors and enjoyment of the outdoors, I also hope you find some tolerance and compassion. Best Wishes.
    Bethmess - Connie has provided sound advice. Additionally, you can take some time to go to an outfitter and literally try some bags and packs on for size. Most have no problem with you snuggling into a bag to see how it fits prior to purchase.
    Good Luck on your hike this Spring. Slow and steady at the beginning and you will ease into the flow of longer miles.

Journal Entries

Date of post is old. I am a personal trainer and bodybuilder. My post stands for advice! Move more! Eat less!,,
    Hike On!!!
    Miller
    Quote Originally Posted by One-8T View Post
    Why be a butt? She was honest, open and sincere and asked questions relevant to her, but you contributed nothing but a negative comment. Someone who admits to being overweight and wanting to do something about it should be provided support and positive feedback. if you can't do that, it is very easy to simply say nothing at all.
    Many Moons - While I wish you the best in your hiking endeavors and enjoyment of the outdoors, I also hope you find some tolerance and compassion. Best Wishes.
    Bethmess - Connie has provided sound advice. Additionally, you can take some time to go to an outfitter and literally try some bags and packs on for size. Most have no problem with you snuggling into a bag to see how it fits prior to purchase.
    Good Luck on your hike this Spring. Slow and steady at the beginning and you will ease into the flow of longer miles.

Today's post.

Hammock Gear and Enlightened Equipment will make-to-measure, if need a different size than their offered sizes.

They make top quilts.

I would not purchase a backpack without a return policy, or, better, trying it on and walking around with the weight inside you intend to carry. If too much weight to carry, consider more lightweight gear. I walk around. I kneel to tie a shoe. I shift around. Does the backpack slide around? Does this backpack throw me off balance? Does this backpack feel right? Is there a mesh back? This helps keep perspiration off. Is there a mesh pocket? This is good for wet gear?

The mid-size Osprey Exos may be a likely backpack.

Connie is right in regard to trying on the gear first. In order to figure out the best pack for you now is to get a pack "for now", never mind where you may be in terms of weight loss or body shape changes after a few months of use. You will get far more use and enjoyment from a pack that fits you well than getting one for a future goal that does not. I would recommend getting to an EMS or REI store and investigate the packs they have. Sales staff are typically well trained and are hikers themselves, offering some fair advice and objectivity you will probably find useful.

There is a significant used gear market you will be able to sell the pack into should you find it no longer fits you or your needs in a pack are redefined as your experience and ambitions grow. It is a grand adventure you are engaging, I wish you well!

I sent bethmess a longer PM, but for future reference for others looking, I'm a big-hip lady, and here's my basic setup:
    Sleeping bag--Montbell UL Super Spiral (15 degree). Pro: elastic flexes to accommodate larger bodies. Con: Very large in the shoulder area, which isn't ideal for women.
    Pad--Exped UL 7 Synmat. Pro: Thick but lightweight pad provides sufficient cushioning for big hips. Tip: Buy the Schnozzel pump bag to make inflation much easier.
    Pack--Deuter ACT lite 45+10 (women's specific). Pro: Women's specific design has tilted hip belt to accommodate women's shape better. Con: weight.

Try a sleeping quilt! That don't have the bottom part so you can stretch out ( the bottom is useless anyway). I know how your feeling! I weigh 260 and am the same height as you. I am joining a gym in March after I finish my car payments. I use to be skinny but moved to I indiana which has nothing to do lol.
    20% cooler in 10 seconds flat!

I do two short (ten day) section hikes in May and Sept. I start out really panting on the hills the first few days, but it gets easier and feels fairly normal by day three. Since my hikes are short in duration, I have very little appetite and usually drop 3/4 lb per day. I usually gain it all back in a few weeks after completion. Nevertheless, it's a great weight loss program and always FUN.

Quote Originally Posted by davismills View Post
    I do two short (ten day) section hikes in May and Sept. I start out really panting on the hills the first few days, but it gets easier and feels fairly normal by day three. Since my hikes are short in duration, I have very little appetite and usually drop 3/4 lb per day. I usually gain it all back in a few weeks after completion. Nevertheless, it's a great weight loss program and always FUN.
    even if you gain some back, it's a great way to kick off some muscle-building. I always think each hike is an opportunity to build leg muscles (and butt, and back!), no matter how short or steep. Muscles burn more calories than fat!
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24
++ New Posts ++