Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

I think that hiking and backpacking is a great activity for people who have a little extra weight, since you can hike really slow and take a lot of breaks if you need to. I'm a size 16-18 and can cover over ten miles on a good day. I do a lot of exercises to strengthen my legs, like squats and stairs, and those help to support the rest of my weight. The best advice I can give is that you should not compare yourself to anyother hiker, even ones who are the same weight as you. Hike at your own pace and have a great time.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SURVIVOR View Post
    You guys, I can't tell you how much it means to me to find this thread!!! I am starting my journey in early March. Unfortunately, my brother, whom I love and whom I know meant well, told me I was too heavy to do this. I was devastated. This is a new adventure , something different,and I am going . I know it's going to be difficult at times. I know I am overweight. But Iam going. I hope to see you all out there !!!!!

Go for it. I leave in mid March and will see you out there somewhere.

Funny thing is, I think everyone that is doing a thru that tells people who do not hike that are are doing it get told some sort of reason why they shouldn't do it or will fail. I have been told I will get bored, get hurt, be to cold, be to hot, miss everything back home, and generally not smart for taking time to do what I really want to do.

In the end do what you want to do and don't listen to anyone else.

Best thing you can do is start excersing Just start walking a couple times a week, and the hiking will seem like second nature. The weight itself is less of an issue than being out of shape. Lots of us out there carry a bit too much weight But don't let that keep you at home! Hiking is great for you! Start slow and small, and it gets easier.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

Physically I am healthy. I quit smoking Sept 9 due to getting pneumonia and being put in the hospital for three days. I then got bronchitis two more times since.
    So, my lungs arent in the greatest shape right now but they will be. I am going to take it real easy....God knows I dont want a helicopter on stand by while I go for my hikes....

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post
    Physically I am healthy. I quit smoking Sept 9 due to getting pneumonia and being put in the hospital for three days. I then got bronchitis two more times since.
    So, my lungs arent in the greatest shape right now but they will be. I am going to take it real easy....God knows I dont want a helicopter on stand by while I go for my hikes....
    Trailtalker is an excellent hike mentor.
    Get her to go walking with you!

I have different "walking buddies" for different days, that way we can yak and I get some quality time with friends at a foot-traveling pace.
    Total win-win.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Ok, I am new to this hiking thing. Trailtalker got me into it. I want to know how hard this is going to be for an overweight woman to do.
    No fat jokes ok.....
    I aint morbidly obese but I carry alot of extra weight.
    When I started out on the trail in 2001 I was as the doctor's would say 50 pounds over weight!! Now of course I believe that those figures are nuts because if I was that weight I would look anorexic. However, I will say that I felt I was 30+ pounds overweight. I did just fine. It may take yo a little longer to get up to the top and a little longer to get to the bottom but after a while on the trail you slim down, you buff up and you get strong where you need to be strong.

By Hot Springs I had dropped 20 pounds per the scale. I had actually lost about 3 dress sizes and I was in fit condition. Remember you build muscle and that weighs in more then fat.

Don't compare your self to some youngin' or some slim and trim hiker, just hike your own hike and eventually you will be where you want o be.

At the mid-way point sign just north of Pine Grove I was looking and feeling great.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

I plan on starting on MARCH 6, my 43rd bday!!! I thought that as good a date as any. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 and am ready to go on an adventure of my choosing. I don't have a journal. Should I start one?
    P.S.
    If anyone would like a nice slow chubby partner, let's talk! My start date is slightly flexible. I live in Georgia so getting to Springer won't be an issue.

Images

Hey, start on the 4th with me! I need someone who will be moving as slow as I will (I have bad knees, so I'll be starting sloooww).

I already love my journal, but I'm not shy about broadcasting my private thoughts over the internet. It's mostly for me, but I opted for an online journal so that friends and family could read it, and keep track of exactly where I am.

Survivor - do you enjoy keeping a journal? If you don't normally keep one, you might just want to try keeping one, just for yourself. It helps a lot to remember a lot of the details that get lost over time. But if you aren't sure about keeping one, don't do a public one -- that puts pressure on you to keep it up, whether you want to or not. I've seen people try to recapture weeks of their hike, long after the fact, because they hated keeping a daily journal. I've also seen a lot of online journals that degenerated into, "I ate x, I walked x miles, I'm tired," over and over again. That doesn't do anybody any good.

OTOH - if you enjoy writing down your thoughts and feelings, keeping a journal can be fun.

I don't like the pressure of keeping a real time public journal. I don't like feeling like I have to get to a computer every time I get to town or writing for anybody but myself. Besides, my writing isn't that great - I like to have time to edit my daily journal a bit before I let the world read it. Yet I love to keep a journal because it keeps the journey alive for me. So I write every night, but don't make it public until after the fact. We have a website with several of my trail journals. The latest went up three months after we got back. It may not get the readership of a more contemporary journal - but I'm writing it more for me than for others. And a few people have enjoyed reading them - so it was worth the time and effort of putting it up. But I am glad that I never tried to do a 'live' journal. Too much pressure.

formerly amazonwoman

Ok, I am new to this hiking thing. Trailtalker got me into it. I want to know how hard this is going to be for an overweight woman to do.
    No fat jokes ok.....
    I aint morbidly obese but I carry alot of extra weight.
    Hey BumpJumper,

I'm a 'fluffy chick' myself and just getting back out there. I've been hiking weekends at the state park near my house. The elevation isn't that demanding but because I'm out of shape it's a challenge for me. I'm starting out slow like everyone says and working my way up. I'm also going to start going to the gym during the week to work on my cardio endurance.

Success isn't number of miles or elevation gain; it's how much fun you have. Don't let your size discourage you; I don't.

Amazonwoman (Julie)

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Survivior and Victoria, I may have to come wobble down the trail a ways with you two when you get to the Smokies or just north of it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Survivior and Victoria, I may have to come wobble down the trail a ways with you two when you get to the Smokies or just north of it.
    That would be fun.

I dont see my first reply so I will do it again!
    I am planning on a March 6,2007 start date which is my 43rd bday! I have already turned my notice in at work. EEK.
    I am scared and excited and determined and overwhelmed.
    If anyone would like to join me or hook up as partners, let me know. I am a novice. Expect to go nice and slow.

DOH! There it is! Sorry ya'll. Novice at this threads thing too!

Images

I lost about 30lbs over the last 3 years. I still want to lose another 10. What I discovered is when we reach our 40's our metabalisim changes. What we did to lose weight in our youth doesn't work as well now.
    I am now one of these fitness fanatics. I eat lots of fresh fruits and vegatables, very little red meat. For breakfast I have a protien milk shake, and I walk 3 to 5 miles every day. Never, never, never eat fast food anymore.
    You have already done the hard part. Quiting smoking. Don't get discouraged, and whatever you do, do not try and starve yourself skinny. You might lose lbs, but your body will start burning muscle and storing fat Also do not overdo exersise. Be consistant do a little each day. Listen to your body. Good luck.

When you start your hike you are going to meet a lot of really great folks.
    People that you will want to stay with as you hike. But, if you can not keep up with them eaisly then do not force yourself to hike harder than you should. There will be just as many really great hikers to meet as you go.

I have talked with a good number of hikers that pushed too hard to keep up with stronger hikers during the start of their hike and wound up getting injured or worn out. And later on you will probably meet up with those hikers from the start anyway. My goal at the start (55 lbs overweight when I started) was to end each day feeling as if I could have gone further.

Images

You guys, I can't tell you how much it means to me to find this thread!!! I am starting my journey in early March. Unfortunately, my brother, whom I love and whom I know meant well, told me I was too heavy to do this. I was devastated. This is a new adventure , something different,and I am going . I know it's going to be difficult at times. I know I am overweight. But Iam going. I hope to see you all out there !!!!!
    Meh don't listen to your brother, he's probabily jealous :-) I'd say dont listen to anyone talking about your physical abilities except yourself and your doctor.

Keep in mind that your liable to dump alot of weight pretty quick (good reason to hike eh?) but this can be unhealthy, make you weak (both physically and your immune system) and ultimately put you off the trail early. Pay really good attention to your diet, eat healthy and keep your energy up.

Victoria I am open to moving my start date up. If you'd like a hiking partner who is slow then I'm your woman. Let's talk. Anyone else ?

Images

WHen I started in 2004 I was overweight. I hiked to about Shenandoah and had a scale brought so I could see if I lost any because clothes were getting very loose. I had lost 60 pounds. That wasn't the normal I guess but it sure did give me a boost. I was feeling fit and the hills that I had to stop every 20 steps to catch a breath were ones I could actually go up fast. I even got irritated one day when I couldn't figure out where we were and ran up a hill. So you really do get into great shape. I am planning to hike in 2008 and I tell people I will be on the AT diet, eat what you want and still lose weight. So start slow and keep at it. Most people will encourage you along the way.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body- but to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "Holy cow, what a ride!"

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shuffle View Post
    I am planning to hike in 2008 and I tell people I will be on the AT diet, eat what you want and still lose weight.
    It's after the hike that I worry about, when the weight goes back on like crazy. I hope to get on a running program then to keep it off. And I've heard it said you should go on a diet too when you get back and not pig out.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++