WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Homesick

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Dixie View Post
    Another person with the same problem. I need to get back home to start college as well... If I make it that long.

Sure you'll make it!

We start March 1st and "Paul Bunyan" will be 16 1/2. Sure he would like a hiking bud along the way - you can PM him too.
    BTW - his grandparents live in Scotia, NY, down the road from you.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Another college student here. I'm taking spring semester off for this, can't afford to miss fall, too.

Homesickness will be a big problem for me as well. I just got married last May, so I'll be on the trail on my 1st anniversary (unless he finds a way to visit me that day, but still). I'll miss my husband terribly. I'm doing the best I can to get him involved so that we can stay connected while I hike, but I'm still worried about how I'll do - how we'll both do - while I'm away.

I'll prolly take ***** for this, but cell phones are nice for keeping in touch. I leave the sucker off while hiking and use it sparingly. It hasn't detracted one iota from my "hiking experience." I might feel differently about this on the PCT or CDT, but not on the AT.

Practice, practice, practice.... korea,iraq,egypt,iraq, have helped me to deal with homesickness. I'm looking forward to finally going somewhere where no one wants to kill me, I think I will be less homesick when I'm actually enjoying myself. You can always stop in a town and use a phone, or write letters...and you can also have letters written to you, but that means the senders need to have a post office list, know how to mark the letters, and send them so that you get them in a timely manner.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, or forgetful, this trip might show which is true for you in your relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaM View Post
    Another college student here. I'm taking spring semester off for this, can't afford to miss fall, too.

Homesickness will be a big problem for me as well. I just got married last May, so I'll be on the trail on my 1st anniversary (unless he finds a way to visit me that day, but still). I'll miss my husband terribly. I'm doing the best I can to get him involved so that we can stay connected while I hike, but I'm still worried about how I'll do - how we'll both do - while I'm away.
    Cathy and I met a thruhiker, "Overflow" who was recently married when she hiked all the way to Maine. She kept a journal on www.trailjournals.com
    Sandalwood

Images

I have already sectioned the Northern 3rd. Katahdin to the Hudson River. Do the other 2/3 thirds is not a thru hike for me.

Everything else in my life says the time is now so I have to make the choice and take the chance. I am going to try and take neros versus zeros and may take a week off if family friends visit the US from France.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Does anyone plan to leave a sweetheart at home?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    Yup....my partner has a new job as an executive chef. I already told her boss to keep her really busy while I'm gone (he laughed and said THAT wouldn't be a problem).

I worry more about her than me, simply because I'll be the one experiencing all the new and exciting stuff.

We've been through some separation before though...when I was in the military. This won't be nearly as bad though, because I know in the back of my mind that if at any point I just need to go home for a week.....I can. No biggie. We're also planning probably 2 visits between GA & ME...one in Virginia for sure where we're going to spend a week w/some friends who live 20 min. from the trail.

My tactic will be this....when I start feeling homesick.....I will take the time to write my thoughts down, because those are the things that we all forget to tell our loved ones when we see them everyday. I am excited about the positive things that are going to come out of some time apart.

Much like hiking over that mountain when you don't feel like it....it's about perspective. Don't fear it, embrace it.
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Quote Originally Posted by roaddamage View Post
    Practice, practice, practice.... korea,iraq,egypt,iraq, have helped me to deal with homesickness. I'm looking forward to finally going somewhere where no one wants to kill me, I think I will be less homesick when I'm actually enjoying myself. You can always stop in a town and use a phone, or write letters...and you can also have letters written to you, but that means the senders need to have a post office list, know how to mark the letters, and send them so that you get them in a timely manner.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, or forgetful, this trip might show which is true for you in your relationships.
    Going somewhere where no one wants to kill me -- that's got a good ring to it. Thanks for the perspective.

I guess books could be written on the varied emotions in the human heart, especially as it relates to backpacking and being in Nature. Loneliness can be paralyzing and crappy whether I'm in a town, overseas, or in the woods. I guess homesickness is a spiritual malaise, something all humans seem to contain, a lifelong thorn in the heart alleviated only temporarily by serial relationships. We are like moths to the flame and all that rot.

Now this homesickness as it relates to nature, camping and backpacking will be studied by nearly everyone who pumps nylon, no matter if they are free floating or have a loved one at home waiting. I guess there are two main types of people: Those who are seeking someone and those already with someone. In my fetid opinion it is far easier to deal with the outdoors when there is someone waiting and missing me than not. But I imagine many people hit the trail seeking a partner, the usual thrill of the hunt thing, and god knows I've spent time in the outdoors in that mode. But not all of it.

Here's my question: Let's say you decide to spend the next 10 years living on the trail or living outdoors(and working minimally), would your loved one join you or dump you?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My hubby will be with us sporadically on the trail but he will be at home for a good chunk. He plans to spend time sending us mail drops with nifty food he is creating from an AT menu book he got from the ATC (made some energy bars today).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Yes - my wife and soulmate of 22 years. This will be the longest we have been apart since we got married - of all the things that I see as "tough" that this journey will bring, being away from her will be the toughest.

She is very supportive of this hike - I will owe her like big time when I get done - the brownie point-pool will have been reduced way below acceptable limits, and I am doing all I can right now to bring that level up just as high as I can before leaving....
    WhoAh

(Yes- my wife of 34 years) I will miss her and my 2 daughters. What concerns me the most is not seeing my 2 grandsons, if I fail its because I'll be missing them. My world revolves around them. Its a shame you got to have kids to get to grandkids

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Going somewhere where no one wants to kill me -- that's got a good ring to it. Thanks for the perspective.

I guess books could be written on the varied emotions in the human heart, especially as it relates to backpacking and being in Nature. Loneliness can be paralyzing and crappy whether I'm in a town, overseas, or in the woods. I guess homesickness is a spiritual malaise, something all humans seem to contain, a lifelong thorn in the heart alleviated only temporarily by serial relationships. We are like moths to the flame and all that rot.

Now this homesickness as it relates to nature, camping and backpacking will be studied by nearly everyone who pumps nylon, no matter if they are free floating or have a loved one at home waiting. I guess there are two main types of people: Those who are seeking someone and those already with someone. In my fetid opinion it is far easier to deal with the outdoors when there is someone waiting and missing me than not. But I imagine many people hit the trail seeking a partner, the usual thrill of the hunt thing, and god knows I've spent time in the outdoors in that mode. But not all of it.

Here's my question: Let's say you decide to spend the next 10 years living on the trail or living outdoors(and working minimally), would your loved one join you or dump you?
    Hi Tipi Walter,

You are an insightful guy.
    To answer your question, my wife would not join me for very long if I chose to rough it outdoors. She is good for a short period.
    Now she talks about renting an RV and hoboing in it for 2 months. She loves short hikes but not long dirty cold wet ones. She's a wimp. hahah

Sandalwood

My wife. We're quite fond of one another but she doesn't hike much. So I'll be calling her every day or two on that evil electronic thing buried in my pack. She understands that reception can be spotty. Once she got a short garbled message... something like, "this [crackle] phone [hiss] sucks [click]" She was OK with that.

Hi Tipi Walter,

You are an insightful guy.
    To answer your question, my wife would not join me for very long if I chose to rough it outdoors. She is good for a short period.
    Now she talks about renting an RV and hoboing in it for 2 months. She loves short hikes but not long dirty cold wet ones. She's a wimp. hahah

Sandalwood
    You've set up some interesting threads of late and they get me to thinking. Maybe there are two kinds of partners: One kind that will be there when we get back after a long stint in the woods and the other kind that won't.

I guess 10,000 years ago we all lived together in the woods but those days are gone, sob.

take a hike

my dad's doin the first week, uncle's doin the 2nd week, g/f?'s doin about a month in may, dad and his friend are doin a long weekend when i get to windgap, pa, and my friend might join me when i get to jersey and go as far as he can before school starts. i deffinately do think that getting homesick can be a problem, but i will try to look foward to when i will be meeting up with someone, rather than the fact that i could go home. Plus i will be making friends with all of you! 53 more days till the start of my thru hike!!

Quote Originally Posted by J Link NJ View Post
    my dad's doin the first week, uncle's doin the 2nd week, g/f?'s doin about a month in may, dad and his friend are doin a long weekend when i get to windgap, pa, and my friend might join me when i get to jersey and go as far as he can before school starts. i deffinately do think that getting homesick can be a problem, but i will try to look foward to when i will be meeting up with someone, rather than the fact that i could go home. Plus i will be making friends with all of you! 53 more days till the start of my thru hike!!
    That sounds like a fun way to keep you motivated and on the trail having fun.

Sandalwood

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You've set up some interesting threads of late and they get me to thinking. Maybe there are two kinds of partners: One kind that will be there when we get back after a long stint in the woods and the other kind that won't.

I guess 10,000 years ago we all lived together in the woods but those days are gone, sob.
    Yes, from the woods to concrete jungles...progress!!

Tipi, have you found a great woman that let's you do your thing, or better still, enjoys being with you in the woods?

English know-nuffin

I think I've nailed this motivation thing; my flight home (gotta get back for university) is in Bangor

Yes, from the woods to concrete jungles...progress!!

Tipi, have you found a great woman that let's you do your thing, or better still, enjoys being with you in the woods?
    Little Mitten(her trail name)will wait for me no matter what. If I'm out for 2 weeks or 6 months she'll be there when I get back.

We've gone on several trips together but not enough, and one trip was almost enough: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=155199

It was her introduction to the fitful world of nylon pumping on some hellish wilderness trails but the trip didn't go south until we attempted to do the mean and nasty Brush Mt trail in the Citico Wilderness.

Living out is not for everyone but I've found my calling and she understands.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++