WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What is your favorite AT State?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thumbs up

pa is my 14th favorite state, but number 1 is virginia. great food, great hostels, wildlife, variety of scenery and trail, dragons tooth, grayson, ponies, trail days. hells yea!

Cool PA Rocks !!

Look at it this way. If you have'nt done the rocks of PA, you did'nt test your gear to its full potential. Not to mention the trail towns of PA are very, very
    accommodating to Thru-hikers. Then again, I'm a bit bias.

Talking Maine!!

Absolutely, positively, MAINE!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mh531wire2002
    Polls on the favorite state seems like a lot of wishful thinking-highest percentage haven't hike the AT yet-I hope we can all do it one day-guaranteed when I retire out of the NAVY it's gonna happen-I would rather hike 6 months then go outon a 6 month deployment-lol
    I think we can safely add most of the "haven't hiked" votes and much of the southern state votes to the Maine total because a large percentage of such have never experienced the splendors of the Maine trail.

Weary

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Its a toss-up of areas, rather than states:

NH-the Whites
    ME-yea, pretty much the whole state
    TN/NC-I grew up in the Smokies and still cant get enough
    VA-I absolutely love the diversity of trail in this state.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default It takes 14 states to make an AT...

...and each of the 14 states has something special. Even the one day thru W.Va. I like Ga (my home) it was the beginning. Maine,for its beauty and it was the last. The poll is really unfair for all kinds of reasons ie: Different seasons, weather etc,etc,etc.....This was a loaded Poll!

I would like to do a winter thru-hike of the AT, It would be cool (ha ha).

Va rules.......there is just so much of it to love.

PA, Because its my home state and damn it I LIKE ROCKS! Lehigh gap and the Palmerton superfund site. There is nothing like it anywhere else on the trail! I loved it. I mean it does suck that it is an ecological disaster area but it is just sooooooo awesome up there. Like you are on the surface of the moon.

of Hatman and Happy Feet GAME '01 Happy Feet's Avatar
    Images

Well, this is sort of like eating Lay's potato chips. Who could pick just one? I had picked NH first, but in the end I had to go with TN/NC. I LOVE the magic of the balds and the Southern Appalachians. The Whites come in a real close second in my book, and of course I'm not suprised to see that Maine is coming in first. I'd pick those as my top 3.

Some of the poll answers have got to be phoney. New York the favorite state on the whole AT? And WV, all 10 miles of it?

Default favorite AT state

well what about conn.kentucky

Images

Georgia. I loved Georgia, and everything about it, but not until I looked back from the other side of the GA/NC sign. Damn!

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Percival
    Some of the poll answers have got to be phoney. New York the favorite state on the whole AT? And WV, all 10 miles of it?
    I prefer them both to Maine and Virginia. Much better cell phone coverage.

Thumbs up Maine hiking

Did a day hike from baxter state park-to the foot of Katahdin while I was on vacation-what a view from the base of Katahdin-I know Maine would have many more splendors-take care

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    I think we can safely add most of the "haven't hiked" votes and much of the southern state votes to the Maine total because a large percentage of such have never experienced the splendors of the Maine trail.

Weary

Journal Entries
    Images

I love Veromnt, but I am very fond of NC/TN as well. Brey Owl you are a nut.

Wanderer

Images

hard to say,i only have 3 more states to go,vt,nh,maine,plus 24 miles left in mass,virgina was the the longest,i love really pennsylvania,cant make my mind up. neo

Tough call. Every state has some great trail, even PA west of the 501 Shelter. My two finalists are NH and TN/NC. The Whites are hard to beat but TN/NC has both GSMNP and the balds, especially the Hump Mtns, my favorite spot hands down.

Bigfoot
    Beegfut

My favorite has to be Tn/Nc because of the balds, springs, and the down to earth people. oh yea and its the only part ive hiked

Default Maine, for Sure

NH has some of the best views and above-treeline ridge walks, but has huge crowds and is ruled tightly by the AMC. Maine is much wilder and at least as hard. The views are nearly as good, but the crowds and the AMC are no longer a factor. Speck Pond campsite marks the northern end of AMC territory. Great ponds for swimming once you get north of Stratton.

Images

Talking

I've only been in portions of PA and NJ, so I probably should'nt have piped in on this poll. But I have to say that there is alot of beauty in Jersey to take in, a number of people I tell that to don't believe me. At least 2 idiots have tried to argue with me that the AT does'nt even go through Jersey!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++