WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A needle and thread or dental floss.
    A watch.

Chapstick
    lighter
    p38 can opener if you don't bring a swiss army knife
    small tripod can be very handy
    Bandana
    Journal

Skip the whistle, water dipper (use your pot), deoderant, and sunscreen (unless you're fair skinned and prone to severe sunburns); put ziplocs of various sizes into your bounce box.

I'd ditch the rubbers too. Lot of lesbians on the trail. In fact, that was usually the first thing a woman would say to me.

Aw, wait a minute...
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Images

Good thoughts yall. Keep em coming.
    "The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." ~ Schopenhauer

Images

Golf pencil (not pen).
    Tea (bags usually good for 3-5 uses)
    School spiral bound notebook (to leave as Shelter Register first time you come to shelter w/o one or full one...put your name/address in it, promise to send cookies to sender when full...incredible keepsake...copy it for yourself and then send to ATC)
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Personally, I wouldn't skip the whistle. I would bring a pen or pencil and some paper if you want to keep a journal. It's not necessary to bring the entire book, just keep some paper in your bounce box. Definetely ear plugs and some antifungal cream. I brought a good multi vitamin too.

i'm fair skinned and i never needed sun screen. by the time the season gets hot enough to need sun screen you are mostly in shade and when you aren't, your tan is good enough.
    Definitly take the condons!
    geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    i'm fair skinned and i never needed sun screen. by the time the season gets hot enough to need sun screen you are mostly in shade and when you aren't, your tan is good enough.
    I started 3/16 and had 2nd degree burns on my forehead by Neal's Gap. No leaves on the trees in March.

hat???????

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

What do people use for fingernail clippers? I want to keep my toes trimed to keep them happy.

I am not planning on using a bounce box. So that is not an option. I am thinking about adding them to the pack, even though I am only going to use it once a week.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

2nd hygene question.

What about Q-tips. TP on my finger never seams to do the job as well. I am thinking about carrying a Q-tip sans the ends. I can add a little TP for the ends each time I use it.

Any thoughts?

Qtips weigh nothing. Probably 50 to the ounce. Take what you need.

Images

what in the heck are the ear plugs for???
    "The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." ~ Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    For those that are dumb enuf to stay in shelters and hostels.

Default ear plugs

I sleep in a tent and never need the plugs..... but my wife needs them!

TB

Images

Ok, somebody mentioned bear bag rope... What kind of bag? What kind and how much rope?
    Since my clothing is light and minmal amount, do I need a stuff sack? Is so, should I just get a small one?
    And my sleeping bag is down by Western Mountaineering so it compacts small... Still recommend a compression sack?
    Also mentioned was Dr Bronners soap. Where will I be bathing on the trail? If it's just for in town, can't I use regular soap or even just buy some there?

Ok, somebody mentioned bear bag rope... What kind of bag? What kind and how much rope?

30 feet of "parachute cord" or any stout nylon twine should do. The bag can be any stuff sack (with a draw cord) big enough to hold all the food in your pack (and possibly your cooking pot, cup, and spoon.)

Since my clothing is light and minmal amount, do I need a stuff sack? Is so, should I just get a small one?
    And my sleeping bag is down by Western Mountaineering so it compacts small... Still recommend a compression sack?
    Also mentioned was Dr Bronners soap. Where will I be bathing on the trail? If it's just for in town, can't I use regular soap or even just buy some there?
    I don't hang food so I know nothing about bear bags/rope
    small stuff sack for clothes
    you don't need a compression sack for the sleeping bag
    no soap is needed on the trail

Journal Entries
    Images

50' of parachute/550 cord for bear bag rope (I think you can get some at WalMart?!?)
    sil-nylon stuff sack for food bag
    clothing in ziploc bag and then in sil-nylon stuff sack
    no compression sack if sleeping bag compresses well
    no leaves in the beginning means exposed to sun all day long - definitely bring sun screen
    I've used Dr Bronners in town for showers when no other soap is readily available (not all hostels will have soap and when you get into town, that is what you want - a shower and food, of course.) and several times for laundry in a sink - a few ounces is not too much to me and it will go a long way.

Ear plugs for those noisy shelter mates (snorers).
    Use your swiss army knife with scissors for nail clipping.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    geek
    Jim, sorry bro, but you can't be fair skinned. I have NEVER in my entire life sported a tan. If I could get all my freckles to align, maybe then you could say I'm tan. LOL. I'm not an albino, but just very prone to sunburn.

They also work great when travelling through an area with lots of mosquitoes or black flies. Bad enough eating them, but between their constant buzzing noise and dive bombing your ears, the plugs can make all the difference in maintaining what sanity you may have.
    Last edited by Outlaw; 01-19-2007 at 11:43.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    I started 3/16 and had 2nd degree burns on my forehead by Neal's Gap. No leaves on the trees in March.
    I started a section on 5/1 and the leaves were not completely out yet. 3rd day was very sunny and by the time I got to Neels Gap, I was burned on my arms and the back of my neck. I would bring sunscreen and get rid of it when you no longer need it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++