WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    I would bring sunscreen and get rid of it when you no longer need it.
    Sunblock saved my bacon on Race Mtn. near Sages, late June in 2005. Not a scrap of shade up there. I was fryin'. Don't forget, as you climb higher there's less atmosphere blocking the sun... you burn more quickly. The baddest burn I ever got was from skiing on Mt. Hood (at 8500 ft.) in August.
    Last edited by rafe; 01-11-2007 at 10:08.

Gold Bond powder gold bottle,

oven bags for clothes to help keep them dry

definetly take a bear bag with about 40 ft of rope,

you might consider an MP3 player for later in the green tunnel,

dehydrate some food

also I really liked "Penguin Mints" Each one has about the same amount of caffeine as a third of a cup of coffee...

moleskin for blisters,

Wrap ductape around something to have for emergency repair...

try to get an advance prescription for some antibiotics

lots of ibuprophren and glucosamine..

take a little needle and a couple of safety pins..

Start taking glucosamine now,, and lots of it,, helps the knees!

you might want to throw in a garbage bag, many uses..

consider taking pocket mail to keep in touch and to journal...

don't forget toilet paper. Its called Mountain Money....

My small things, duct tape, pocket knife (or sheath knife), palying cards, pencil, mp3 player, and extra batteries.
    A t-shirt never made:
    I only do what the White Blazes tell me to do.

Forget the small stuff. Just take what you need to survive. As you hike you will think of things you need or want. These items can be picked up along the way.
    I've never needed Ibuprofen, vitamins or any supplements to hike. No moleskin, thread or extensive first aid kit.

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    What do people use for fingernail clippers? I want to keep my toes trimed to keep them happy.

I am not planning on using a bounce box. So that is not an option. I am thinking about adding them to the pack, even though I am only going to use it once a week.
    On several sections hikes I've brought a baby nail clipper. Same as adults, just smaller. Look in the baby stuff section of Walmart or in drug stores.

Perkolady

Default Nail Clipping

I plan to use the scissors on my pocketknife for this.

Images

Ok man 6months is a long time on the trail....condoms a plus....but im going to bring a vidio Ipod and some jergens just in case for them lonly nights.....LOL
    You want to bring a deck of cards. Its a good thing to have.

Images

Hmm,

Junk in my Misc bag-small swiss army knife, 4 foot cord, 2 mini-bics, 1 or 2 led lights w/ hatclip, herbs, 2 foot piece of ducttape, mp3 player/radio, paper/pen, hmm I guess that's it.

toiletries-toofbrush--you only need 10 bristles per toof., sample size toofpaste, some floss, dropper w some soap, tp, small-hand sanitizer, dropper of liquid antifungal.

Most important items-meat, whiskey, and weed (oh yeah radio) I can do without the rest.
    See ya when I get there.

Preparation H wipes, (they are money) good for general hygiene, as well...

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Then there's little stuff not to bring.

I took a recent poll of little stuff that was left behind at the first couple of shelters in GA. In order of frequency:

- cooking utensils like plastic scrapers, serving spoons, and spatulas. No eating spoons, tho.
    - pens and lighters. Go figure. Maybe they were forgotten rather than abandoned.
    - ziplock bags, all sizes. Also puzzling. Somebody's got an 80 pound pack so they figure they'll throw out a few empty ziplocks?
    - candles
    - paperback novels.
    In the 'one each' category: plastic shower curtain and a tent.

I didn't stop at Stover or Woods Hole. Woods Hole has often had some really good stuff.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Plastic shower curtain, huh?

Images

Sounds like someone decided to emulate Grandma Gatewood but changed their mind.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

A small flashlight, a poncho or something, lip balm. I've heard of people ripping out pages of paperbacks as they read them, so clearly if you're bringing a book, bring only one and it doesn't need to be that thick.
    I was thinking that a fold-up diagram/map of the constellations would be a neat thing to have along.

Flashlights are great if you can perform all your tasks with one hand. Most folks I saw had headlamps - two hands free for domestics, also good if you get the itch to night hike.

No need for a compression sack if your bag stuffs small. It'll pack easier when it's not hard like a basketball anyway.

I always have a pair of nail clippers in my first aid kit, even on short hikes. Mostly in case of hangnails and such.

Small knife or mini multi-tool. If you use the blade on your mini-tool for cooking, you can get food down in the little nooks. I have a 2.5" bladed pocketknife, then a ~1oz minitool w/ pliers, tweezers, a file, etc. Definitely worth the ounce, IMO. You don't need a big Leatherman.

TP ziplock. Pull the tube out of the middle of the roll and smash the roll flat - makes it pack better and you can pull the TP out from the middle w/o removing the roll from the ziplock. Very helpful when it's raining or just wet out. I also keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the same ziplock, and keep that ziplock in an outer pocket. Don't wanna be fumbling around looking for it when time gets short.

Get a small rectangle of cardboard...like a 3" square from a shoebox. Wrap your duct tape around that. 4' is plenty. Duct tape is good for repairs, first aid, blisters, etc.

Definitely bring a stuff sack for clothes. Keeps it organized and you can put stuff inside to use it as a pillow. Even shoes.

Pack liner - essentials (dry clothes, sleeping bag, etc) go inside the pack liner. I use a contractor bag (heavy duty garbage bag)...put it in the pack first, add my quilts and clothes, close it. Food bag goes on top of the liner so I can get to it easily for lunch...maybe inside if I'm expecting lots of rain. Rain gear goes on top of the pack.

First aid kit - I have one dose of DayQuil and one dose of NyQuil in a blister pack. A few Motrin in a medicine ziplock, but I rarely use them. Small tube of Neosporin and a few bandaids.

I hate sunblock and never use it if I can avoid it. I use a wide-brimmed hat instead. Hate bug juice too but there isn't a lot you can do about that. Maybe soak your stuff in permethrin. Hammock Engineer made a head net that multi-tasks as a stuff sack. You could use that as your clothing sack...then if you need the head net your clothes would still be in the pack liner.

And I almost always have a bandana.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 03-25-2007 at 09:41.

VASELINE !!!

seriously dont go hiking without it!

Images

just have sex in the rain naked in the middle of the woods at night. No one will bother you. That way clean up is a breaze you two can wash each other down in the rain.
    "It's better to try and fail than not to try at all"
    " www.myspace.com/bigfonsie "

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++