WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: I like

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Socks

Former Member

/
    Last edited by Former Member; 07-18-2003 at 12:46.

I keep my socks in their place.....

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-13-2003 at 21:52.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

On really cold nights fill your Nalgene bottle with nearly boiling water.....slip a pair of wool socks over the bottle and place it in the bottom of your sleeping bag....keeps your feet warm without wearing socks allowing your feet to breath and get max circulation
    the best things in life aren't things

I prefer wool socks most of the time, even in hot weather. But the important thing is that the socks you choose work well with your boots to prevent blisters and keep your feet comfortable. That is the most important thing. If your feet are uncomfortable, your hike will be miserable.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Thumbs up ingenious socks

Ingenious socks are incredible moisture control and comfort. Its all I wear now. Made specifically ith gore-tex footwear in mind. They incorporate liner and outer sock in one.

http://www.ingeniussocks.com/
    History will not judge us on our so called "progress," but on what we allow to endure.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterawk
    Ingenious socks are incredible moisture control and comfort. Its all I wear now. Made specifically ith gore-tex footwear in mind. They incorporate liner and outer sock in one.

http://www.ingeniussocks.com/
    The problem I see with the combined liner/outer sock like ingenius is that the liner portion probably wouldn't dry as fast as a stand-alone liner sock. My feet sweat a lot at any temperature, so I now bring 4 pair of lightweight liners and two pair of SmartWools. I change the liners at least once a day, and with any luck I always have at least once pair that are dry when I need them. I can literally wring a quarter-cup of sweat out of my wool socks when I take them off, so they only get fully dry when it's a nice sunny day.

In any case, I'll probably try out a pair of the ingenius socks to see how they work for me. What I'd really like is a way to keep my feet from sweating (foot powder and anti-perspirant don't make much of a dent).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Thumbs up

I love to wear wool socks every day. but hiking I like my Wyoming Wear socks under my woolies.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Images

Crash, which Wyoming Wear socks do you use?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default socks fer days...

i love to wear wool socks...even on the warmer days...although i do wear the "shortie" versions on the ultra-hot days.

never liners....a bit toooooo warm!

see ya'll UP the trail!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Injinji toe socks. Keeps my toes from rubbing blisters on each other. Cool Max. $10 per pair, weigh 1.7 oz. And comfy.
    Singletrack

I may not be wickked smaht but my wool socks are, they work as a pot holder too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack
    Injinji toe socks. Keeps my toes from rubbing blisters on each other. Cool Max. $10 per pair, weigh 1.7 oz. And comfy.
    Where did you purchase these, Singletrack?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

[COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Love wool socks, finding the right combination of sock and a good fitting boot was a real breakthrough. Sometimes I hesitate buying socks at $18.00 the pair, but it is money very well spent.

Kerosene, I ordered mine from Argear.com. They have them in black and tan. The Injinji website has them in white and tan only. I have weird toes that rub each other, while hiking. These socks stop that. They are quiet warm, have used them below freezing, and sleet.
    Singletrack

Images

I wear Merino Wool everyday...I threw out all of my cotton socks and gave away the synthetics. That does not include dress socks of course.

My latest find: Alpaca Merino Wool. 63% Merino Wool, 27% Alpaca, 10% stretch nylon

"These Alpaca socks keep feet cool in the desert, dry in the rainforest, warm in snow, and less blistered everywhere."

IMO They Rock.

Dahlgren Dri-Stride Alpaca Hiking Socks
    www.dahlgrenfootwear.com

Images

i wear REI merino wools sock every day as well. midweights most of the time and for those cold days will toss on some heavyweights, usually without a liner, for really hot days and really cold days though i do add in a pr of polypro liners, silk liner socks never seemed to work well for me
    Fantasies are Merely realities in waiting!

Default Coolmax Liner Socks

I wanna plug coolmax liner socks.

I wore them with no other sock over them and had one pair last me over 700 miles. Yeah I know its gross, but I wore those socks for probably two months straight without putting on another sock. Their demise only came about because my toenail wore through them.

On the contrary I had a two pairs of patagonia liners only last me 200 miles which surprises me since patagonia is usually good gear.

Just my two cents!

Default Smartwools

I started my thru hike with 3 pairs of smartwools and 4 pair of nylon liners. Wore them winter and summer. One pair on my feet, one dry pair in my pack and one pair washed and drying while hanging off the back of my pack. I wore out 2 pair of LL Bean Cresta boots but the smartwools made it all the way and I can still wear them 4 years later. No blisters, no hotspots from Georgia to Maine and I hiked six months and one day and wore them every day. The heels are thin now but the rest of the socks are in perfect condition. They were the "backpacking weight" sold in 2000, grey and green in color. I loved them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++