WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

That was actually pretty funny!

Blackmath, if you do a bit of a Search, you'll find that the map question has been discussed quite a bit here at Whiteblaze.

Personally, I think everyone should own and carry the maps, there's no good reason not to.

Most folks these days use a combination of the Maps with a current Thru-Hikers Handbook or Thru-Hikers Companion. This should do you fine.

What about Mapdana's instead of the maps?

uesless in an emergency

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    There recently was a sale- all the maps for the entire trail for like $170 or so..but it ended 12/22..so.
    That was for the 2006 stuff though im sure.

As far as an emergency goes how would having the real map versus a mapdana be more helpful? Im just wondering, trying to think of scenarios.

A "real map" will have topolines, elevation profiles, accurate compass headings and detailed road crossings with distance to nearest towns, all things that may help keep you alive.

Images

Default Changes

The majority of your maps will be the current ones regardless of the year bought. Here in Maine the maps/guidebooks are updated ever so slightly every 6-8 years depending on inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    That was for the 2006 stuff though im sure.

As far as an emergency goes how would having the real map versus a mapdana be more helpful? Im just wondering, trying to think of scenarios.
    There's a lot more detail on the maps.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    There recently was a sale- all the maps for the entire trail for like $170 or so..but it ended 12/22..so.
    Yeah, I bought them. Today there are only $165.65 for members. Boy that was a great deal.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

I had free tourist info from each of the thirteen states sent to me, and they all sent me the free state maps.They all have the AT clearly marked.Combined with a Thru Hikers Handbook I feel I'll only be lost about half the time now.Plus I got fire starter for Hypothermia prevention

1000+ miles, baby! (and more to come) Webs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    .. later in the trip I cut some of them up and just took the profiles.. A lot of people dump the maps in hiker boxes to save weight..

Profile maps from the ATC map set are the only things we needed. They have most water sources, road crossings, and most importantly, the answer to teh eternal question: "How much longer is this stinkin' hill??"

You're pretty much assured you'll be ascending and descending everyday. While the profile maps are good at showing that, the Companion also includes that info.

i'm taking the full set of maps with me. it's an extra 5 lbs of weight but it's worth my own piece of mind. i'm mailing them home as i use them up.

Quote Originally Posted by onicoe View Post
    i'm taking the full set of maps with me. it's an extra 5 lbs of weight but it's worth my own piece of mind. i'm mailing them home as i use them up.
    No need to start out with 5 pounds of maps. Have them mailed to you periodically, or put the excess in a bounce box.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    No need to start out with 5 pounds of maps. Have them mailed to you periodically, or put the excess in a bounce box.
    Definitely. That's what I'm doing - deciding which mail drop the map goes in to. I put sticky labels on the maps so they go in the right boxes. Don't carry five extra lbs!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

What some do is to photocopy the essential parts of maps, condense, reduce, laminate. That way you are carrying waterproof maps, but they are smaller, contain only the info you want and are much lighter. Still, no need to carry them all from the start.

Default just bring the handbook

I just used the thru hiker's handbook. It has the data with all the milages and also info on all town services.

Maps can be nice, fun and interesting. But the trail is so well marked and laid out I don't think they are essential to keep from getting lost. Even if you go wrong or go the wrong way for a time...eventually things will not look right. Then you re trace your steps.

Short of hiking above treeline in white out conditions..how can one get lost on the AT?? I can see accidentally going the wrong way for a time (happened to me once) but you have to really not be paying attention to not notice this for more than a mile or so.

DavidNH

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I can see accidentally going the wrong way for a time (happened to me once) but you have to really not be paying attention to not notice this for more than a mile or so.
    It's when you've lost the trail that the maps come in handy. Blazing isn't terribly consistent. Maps are also handy for indicating alternative routes, blue blazes, etc. Most days you don't "need" a map, that's true. Most days you don't need your first aid kit, either.

Default What do you really need as far as maps, guides go?

I agree DavidNH. What I wanted to know was where the water was and the re-supply. I could see the blazes. I missed the blaze just starting down Blood Mtn. I did a little back track and didn't miss another turn all the way. I mostly used the data book and some of the handbook. I was given the Maine maps and didn't use them...didn't need to

Default wingfoots

What is the difference between wingfoots and the thru hikers companion? If you have the companion does that mean you dont need to bother getting the data book.

Basically im a bit confused.

People talk about the

thru hikers guidebook
    thru hikers companion
    wingfoots
    thru hikers handbook
    data books, etc etc etc

which book is what?

I see on the ATC site that there is the thru hikers companion, is that the best one to get and is that the one everyone is referring to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++