WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Women's Pants

Default Women's Pants

I am having a hard time finding the right kind of lightweight nylon hiking pants. Any recommendations? Or any good websites that I might look?

You might check here and see if you like anything. I picked up a pair of the mens' quick-dry long pants. http://www.gramicci.com/

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Mambo Tango, are you having trouble finding your size or a specific style? If it is a size issue, try lands End or Junonia.com.

Sierra Trading Post is a good place for clothes. Their inventory tends to change, so check every so often.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Best, longest lasting Hiking clothing

The absolute longest lasting adventure clothing is made by RailRider:
    http://www.railriders.com/store/catalog?Args=
    The advertise a number of folks having gone the entire AT wearing their weather pants, or shirts, or shorts. Plus they are having a huge sale if you can find your size, i think its before the next line comes in. But who knows, I am not a shopper. I saw the Reverend Yukon Jack in a pair of their weather pants in Georgia wearing them and when he sent me the photos of him on Big K he was still wearing them, 2004. I have been wearing their shorts and eco-mesh shirt on every hiking trip since then. The shorts show absolutely no wear at all and still look new, yet they have been rinsed out in sinks or washed many, many times.

Besides, I am in their photo galleries of the Adventure seekers section, walking the Camino de Santiago.

I doubt you will ever find a better wearing pants. Plus it comes with a little lightweight belt that you can snug up as you loose weight.

I hate it when women wear pants.

(sorry i had to be that guy)

Images

::: bites Bravo on the toes :::

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    ::: bites Bravo on the toes :::
    This is the second time I've been bitten. OUCH!!! I'm looking forward to the third though. Third time's a charm.

Im going with the following. Not the exact shorts but you get the idea. I am not bringing pants because it adds weight and I can just wear the thermo if neccessary. if its really cold I can put on my rain pants too. just an idea.

http://www.medalist.com/product.asp?...02&id=4&gid=26

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...archId=1313370

I found a great pair of reebok nylon windpants at a thrift store for a dollar. They are all that I need (and a pair of swim trunks for shorts). The good thing about thrift stores is that there are a lot of styles and sizes for next to nothing, if you go on the right day. So you could try a couple of those as well, before spending a lot of money. Sometimes you get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Mambo Tango, are you having trouble finding your size or a specific style? If it is a size issue, try lands End or Junonia.com.

The only size issue would be my absurdly long legs (I am 5'8" and my brother is 6 foot but my legs are longer than his! ).

Images

My inseam is 33" - I've been known to buy men's pant's and do a bit of altering... the problem with men's pants on women IME is there isn't enough room for my ample hiney (if I buy them big enough for the hiney, the waist is huge) and the length of the crotch seam (the one from the zipper to the back waist band) often isn't long enough and the pants give me a wedgie.

The fix has been to buy a size larger than I need - the size that has the proper length on the crotch seam (that seam is the hardest to alter) and a 34" inseam. I prefer the hips to be a bit baggy these day so I normally don't alter them anymore, but in my younger, leaner days I opened up the side seams from just below the waist band to about halfway to the knee - removed the excess fabric, and re-stitched. Don't let french seams scare you - they aren't hard to do. Here is a how-to from thru-hiker.com

I try to find elastic waitbands so I don't have to alter them, but when I do have to alter one - I take small (about 1/4 to 3/8"), pie-slice shaped tucks in the waist band (on the outside - if you put them inside the waistband, they will rub you raw). The secret is many small tucks - not a few bigger tucks. You can take the waistband off to alter it, but that is pretty hard to do correctly. Unless you have considerable sewing experience, I don't recommend it.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I wasn't going to go with zip off nylon until I got a pair of zip offs at Gander Mtn for $3.50. How can one refuse? I plan to take mine though during the summer months. For the early March start I like my moving comfort tights (got them from campmor). Campmor also sells nylon zip-offs as well and sell a 33 inch inseam.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default Nylon zip off pants

Believe it or not, Sports Authority has a great knock-off brand. They sell it under the name "Alpine Design." Which is not to be confused with the manufacturer that went out of business several years ago.

I can't find any on their website, but my local store in Orlando has them. They have women's sizes also. My wife likes them, but she is shorter than you. Anyway, it may be worth a try.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

++ New Posts ++