Quote Originally Posted by mike! View Post
hah im freaking out, still gut to buy my backpack (damn you ULA AMP for making such a nice looking pack) still gotta make stuff sacks, a bivy sack, a new stove, and either make or buy a poncho tarp. i think about the AT all the time, going back and forth in my mind if ill make it. ill see a Chuck Norris movie and be extremely pumped and ready to take on anything, then at night when i look outside my window in my comfy bed with the TV on, i begin to wounder. and i think about that damn low 20% rate of success, i really dont think im stronger/luckier then 80% of the other hikers. i certainly dont have a super strong reason, more of a "i like to hike and love adventure" and "it will make for such good memories and a killer tattoo" but to be honest, i dont even know how i did the LT, i just picked up my things and did it on a whim.
mike!

I was thinking about why so many people fail. I think the other thread going on right now started by the guy that did not finish give me a good idea why. I think a lot of them don't fully plan out the trip, test their gear, or know what to expect. I know no one truely know what it is like until you do it, but I think I have a really good idea from reading WB and TJ. I also feel really comfident in all my gear and I know how to use that. I think knowing all this puts us in a good starting place. Now all I have to worry about is the mental side of things.

My answer to that is one day at a time. I am not going to try to think about hiking the whole trail each day. I am just going to think about that days hike. Just what works for me.