WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: To ford or not to ford...the Kennebec River, that is?

Voters
122. This poll is closed
  • Ford?!? Are you kidding? And miss the free canoe ride? Never!

79 64.75%
  • I forded once and wouldn't do it again nor would I suggest that anyone else does.

6 4.92%
  • I forded 27 years ago and believe that if you do not, you are not worthy to stand in my presence.

3 2.46%
  • I don't know. I'll cross that bridge* when I get to it.

30 24.59%
  • Ford? What? Huh? I need to research this further.

4 3.28%
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEM View Post
    Wolf, You're right again, Why die as an 85 year old man of natural causes, when you can kill yourself decades sooner doing something stupid and unnecessary. I've never been there, but I think I'd take the ferry.
    whatever. it's been way blown out of proportion.

Images

Water never gets tired, hikers do... foot entrapment is a killer (that and what are called strainers, trees and such). If the service was not available I would ford but, why risk it? Part of the experience IS the canoe ride. Enjoy it... Steve Rocks!! WB
    Peace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    To know that you did it.

I hear there's a trail over 2,000 miles that can be walked from ME-GA or GA-ME, but why would anyone do that???
    True, but since you're already on the A.T., that doesn't really float as a reason.
    So you float across a 70 yard river. I like the idea of staying dry from the chest down. Especially in Maine.

Journal Entries

This is one river that fording seems to be foolish, especially since there is a classic alternative.

Default More garbage pick-up (post #32)

"Doyle is fording with only a daypack, and has a van with dry clothes waiting for him on the far bank. That's not the situation the majority of AT backpackers will find themselves in when they reach the Kennebec."

In 1973, I forded the Kennebec with a full pack (no van on the other side)
    In 1975, I forded the Kennebec with a full pack. (no van on the other side)
    In 1977, I forded the Kennebec with a full pack. (no van on the other side)
    In 1980, I forded the Kennebec with a full pack. (no van on the other side)
    In the 1980's, I probably forded the Kennebec about 2-3 times with a full pack with no van on the other side.
    In the 1990's, I forded the Kennebec two times with a full pack and no van on the other side.

Litter pick-up completed (hopefully).
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    I always ford when it is safe (I have forded the Kennebec at least two dozen times on foot). Looking forward to my next ford in August.

Why? Appalachian Trail = "a footpath" and it is very important to me that I walk under my own power the entire trail between Katahdin and Springer.

Because of this strong belief, I will never take a canoe across the Kennebec.
    "Doyle is fording with only a daypack, and has a van with dry clothes waiting for him on the far bank. That's not the situation the majority of AT backpackers will find themselves in when they reach the Kennebec."

In 1973, I forded the Kennebec with a full pack (no van on the other side)
    In 1975, I forded the Kennebec with a full pack. (no van on the other side)
    In 1977, I forded the Kennebec with a full pack. (no van on the other side)
    In 1980, I forded the Kennebec with a full pack. (no van on the other side)
    In the 1980's, I probably forded the Kennebec about 2-3 times with a full pack with no van on the other side.
    In the 1990's, I forded the Kennebec two times with a full pack and no van on the other side.

Litter pick-up completed (hopefully).

Hmmmm, First quote says 2 dozen times you've forded

2nd quote adds up to 9 times forded at most

More litter pickup time, lol
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Hmmmm, First quote says 2 dozen times you've forded

2nd quote adds up to 9 times forded at most
    2nd quote is those times "with no van on the other side." (I think to counter Teej's charge...)

Default Reading comprehension time

That is because I was specifically responding to garbage post #32.

All the other times, I forded the Kennebec with a day pack both with and without a van waiting on the other side (and I have never changed into dry clothes).

This August, I will ford the Kennebec again in the early morning with a day pack (without a change of clothes). I'll be heading south to a car which will be waiting for me at the end of the day at Flagstaff Lake.

Twice, I have had the opportunity to swim across the Kennebec without pack or day pack after the dam release reached the trail crossing. I do not count these 'swimming' crossings in my section hikes.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

I'll be heading south to a car which will be waiting for me at the end of the day at Flagstaff Lake.
    Very literal notion of purity, IMO. Have you ever carried a full pack from one end of the trail to the other?
    Last edited by rafe; 02-06-2007 at 21:11. Reason: typo

Journal Entries
    Images

Paying a nickle to walk across the Bear Mountain Bridge would be a far greater afront than taking a canoe.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vipahman View Post
    Having no idea about how deep or wide the Kennebec is, can somebody please give me a idea during regular water levels in summer?
    That's the issue. There is no "regular water levels in summer." Most of the time the water level is difficult but traversable by strong hikers. Periodically, and without warning, it becomes dangerous to most any hiker, regardless of the strength of the hiker.

Weary

Q: Have you every carried a full pack from one end of the trail to the other?

A: No, I haven't carried a full pack from one end of the trail (Appalachian) to the other (i.e., thru-hike).

However, I have carried a full pack the entire Long Trail four times, the entire Wonderland Trail once, the entire John Muir Trail twice and the entire Pennine Way once.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Teej's post in Msg #32 suggests a "third way," maybe. If you're a strong swimmer.... let Steve Longley take your pack across along with your hiking boots, poles, etc. Then you ford and/or swim... without pack. It seems to me that a fair amount of the danger is due to the pack dragging you under. Without a pack (and assuming you're a good, strong swimmer) maybe it's OK. Just a thought. PS: if you swim across, do not fight the river's current. Just get yourself across the river, expecting to end up downstream from where you started. Repeat: do not fight the current; that's the way to drown.
    If I recall, rightly, some time ago, MATC and Steve agreed that packs should not be carried in the canoe, while hikers crossed the river unemcumbered by their packs.

I don't know whether that is still the policy or not. Nor do I particularly care. However, ferrying gear, but not the hiker, simply encourages an irresponsible practice.

Hike the river with your pack, or use the canoe. I can think of no reason for using scarce trail funds for ferrying gear. It's not wet gear that caused us to pay for the ferry service, it is lost lives.

Weary

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Warren, I'm a day hiker who hopes to someday attempt a thru hike. In your AT classes what do you tell your students if they ask a question about crossing this river?

Slackfording doesn't count as a true ford and if you don't cross directly where the trail hits the water you are blueblazing. I don't think anyone could ford directly where the trail hits the water.

TODAY'S WORD:

Blueblazing Slackforder
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    pot calling kettle black?
    Hahdly. I haven't made it from one end to the other yet. Warren's done it many times. I was just curious if Warren's been slackpacking from the get-go, or if that was a "later" development.

I've done very little slackpacking, but I can't say zero. A handful of one-day sections with a day pack, yes indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    If I recall, rightly, some time ago, MATC and Steve agreed that packs should not be carried in the canoe, while hikers crossed the river unemcumbered by their packs.
    I was not privy to these discussions. I'm not encouraging fording; I was just thinking out loud about a way of doing it with less risk. I'm done with that section of trail; it's not a concern for me. (Nor did I even realize it was the least bit "controversial" until I came to WhiteBlaze.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    (Nor did I even realize it was the least bit "controversial" until I came to WhiteBlaze.)
    Not surprising. I'm sure we'd argue about what color the sky was yesterday if we didn't have anything better to do. Oh, right, some of us don't.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    on a slightly related subject, does anyone know how much the ferryman is paid? Is he paid a salary or is he paid per hiker?
    ps. tera too, did you get my pm i sent on sun?
    He has a contract for providing the service, May through October. I forget the figure, but it's around $20,000.

Aside from his own ferrying of hikers, he hires others when he can't be around for some reason, plus supplies the canoes, and, I suspect, pays a major liability insurance bill.

The money used to be funneled through MATC. It's now paid by ATC with funds, I think, that are paid by the National Park Service.

Weary
    Last edited by weary; 02-06-2007 at 22:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Teej has raised an excellent point above, but can we PLEASE not discuss individuals or Trail personalities here, and instead stick to the question, which was a discussion of fording and the advisability of fording.

That being said, Teej is 100% correct in stating that crosing the Kennebec in the canoe is traditional, as well as being wise.
    When you're right, you're right, Jack.
    I shouldn't have made specific mention by name of another hiker in my last post.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++