WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: To ford or not to ford...the Kennebec River, that is?

Voters
122. This poll is closed
  • Ford?!? Are you kidding? And miss the free canoe ride? Never!

79 64.75%
  • I forded once and wouldn't do it again nor would I suggest that anyone else does.

6 4.92%
  • I forded 27 years ago and believe that if you do not, you are not worthy to stand in my presence.

3 2.46%
  • I don't know. I'll cross that bridge* when I get to it.

30 24.59%
  • Ford? What? Huh? I need to research this further.

4 3.28%
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Ahhh the poor thing!! BTW did he have his ''floaties" just in case?
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

Is the Kennebec pulled on that often in the winter? Does this river ever freeze in the Caratunk region?

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    he tried too late in the morning.
    He probably heard from someone that it was safe, fun, natural, etc. etc.
    WALK ON

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by khaynie View Post
    Is the Kennebec pulled on that often in the winter? Does this river ever freeze in the Caratunk region?
    Most winters you can go down stream a mile or so and cross on the ice on the lake, formed by a second dam down stream.

I forded on a thru hike in 81. It was cold, challenging, and well worth the adventure. Out of a group of 6, I crossed first and started a fire. Gentleman Jim lost his footing and got swepped down 50 yards or so, til he got it back. He appreciated the fire. If you don't ford, you miss the adventure..If you ford, you miss the canoe ride, a different type of adventure, dry gear, and a chance to meet the canoe guy. Depends on the person, the day, the weather, which way the wind's blowin...All a matter of perspective and individuality. If you use bug juice, you smell funny and you miss the sting...

Images

Default Seek bigger thrills!

Quote Originally Posted by Catman1981 View Post
    If you don't ford, you miss the adventure ...
    and the exhilaration that comes with knowing it may be the last thing you ever do!

Those who desire a real thrill, try this. News of your adventure will be broadcast worldwide and you will be the envy of thrill seekers everywhere.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-17-2007 at 14:07. Reason: Added link just posted elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Catman1981 View Post
    I forded on a thru hike in 81.
    to WhiteBlaze, Catman!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Here's my favorite way to cross rivers. By the way, seeing nobody went out on a limb to identify this crossing, It's on the ST John River , about 50 miles north of Katahdin. Top speed about 20 miles per hour toward the middle of river. Don't expect to make international news though, not likely anyone around for many, many miles.
    WALK ON

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    in 88, Maineak got to the river mid afternoon, pulled out an innertube from his pack, pumped it up with a bike pump then floated across.
    Wouldn't it have been better just to take the ferry?

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    Wouldn't it have been better just to take the ferry?

Panzer
    ferry was done for the day.

Default MATC on fording Kennebec

This was in the 2006 newsletter:

Backpacking Maine's AT this year and wondering if it's safe to wade across the Kennebec River?

Well, it's not safe to wade across the Kennebec River, which is the most formidable unbridged crossing along the entire 2,168-mile Appalachian Trail. The Kennebec is approximately 70 yards wide with a swift, powerful current under the best of circumstances. However, as a result of releases of water from hydro facilities upstream, the depth and current of the river surge quickly and unpredictably. You cannot cross faster than the water level rises.
    DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FORD THE RIVER.
    PLEASE USE THE FERRY SERVICE.
    The MATC and the Appalachian Trail Conference have contracted with Rivers & Trails Northeast, to provide a scheduled ferry service across the Kennebec River at the A.T. crossing at no cost to hikers. The Kennebec Ferry will operate daily from:

2006 May 19 through July 14 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. only July 15 through September 30 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. & 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. October 1 through October 9 10 a.m. to 12 noon only
    This ferry service -- not fording -- is the officially sanctioned means of crossing the Kennebec River on the Appalachian Trail. The A.T. was located here originally because of the existence of a ferry to provide access to Pierce Pond for visiting sportsmen. Hikers must meet the ferry on either the east or west banks of the Kennebec River at the point of the AT crossing. If the ferry is on the opposite side, a signal flag will be provided to alert the ferry operator.
    Hikers will be required to sign a release form, wear a life jacket, and follow the instructions of the ferry operator. If river conditions or weather make the crossing dangerous in the judgment of the ferry operator, the service will be discontinued until conditions improve.
    Large groups please call ahead to indicate when you will need the ferry service. No camping and no fires are permitted within the Trail corridor on either side of the Kennebec River. Camping and fires are permitted only at designated campsites.
    Donations to help defray the cost of providing this contracted, scheduled service are welcome. Send your donation to the MATC, P.O. Box 283, Augusta, ME 04332.
    From May 19 through October 9, no one will be ferried outside of scheduled hours. Before May 19 and after October 9, please call Rivers and Trails Northeast to arrange a time to be ferried.
    Additional information can be attained by contacting Ferry Contractor:
    Rivers & Trails Northeast
    Steve Longley
    1603 U.S. Rte. 201
    The Forks, ME 04985
    1-888-356-2863 (Maine only)
    (207) 663-4441
    Fax: 207-663-4443
    [email protected]

This service is provided only for users of the Appalachian Trail and is not available to the general public. Happy Hiking!

WALK ON

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Here's my favorite way to cross rivers. By the way, seeing nobody went out on a limb to identify this crossing, It's on the ST John River , about 50 miles north of Katahdin. Top speed about 20 miles per hour toward the middle of river. Don't expect to make international news though, not likely anyone around for many, many miles.
    If I remember rightly, these are built for the people who measure and record water levels. I've never really investigated, but I've always assumed they are not available for the public.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    If I remember rightly, these are built for the people who measure and record water levels. I've never really investigated, but I've always assumed they are not available for the public.
    Yes this is what they are for. There is one in Abbot Maine also and that it the soul purpose of it.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Ya Know! maybe there should be other options to fording or canoeing the Kennebec River. Why have such limited options? Spendiing alot of time settin' down by the river, I have come up with a few ideas.
    1. Giant sling shot attached to two large oak trees with a bulls eye on a big net across the river. 50 points for hitting bullseye, 10 points for hitting edges around net and minus 50 points for "Aw Shucks", missing the landing net completely. Pack and Person fired seperately.
    2. The Evil Canevil motorcycle ride. Build a starting and landing ramp on both sides of the river. After signing off on 49 general liability release forms witnessed by 4 notary publics, hiker climbs sixty foot ramp and hops on the 1,000 cc riceburner with Evil for the "ride of a lifetime." For insurance purposes, helmets are required.
    3 Environmental Airboat. The whole idea of communing with nature is so sixties what with all the technology available these days. Although the airboat is a little loud it does have an electrical outlet to recharge all those cell phones, GPS's, Blackberries, cameras and hand held computers that hikers carry. Why just ride across the river when you can conquer the world?
    High Wire Act. Take in all the wonders of nature one hundred feet above the river. Imagine trying to hold your balance while watching a cow moose with calf in tow alongside the river. If you lose your balance, simply pray to your Higher Power to raise the river level for a softer landing. Note: High wire shoes sold separately!
    Ferryman sells out to Corporate sponsorship. After selling 100,000 snickers bars, 75,000 lipton noodles and 50,000 Ben and Jerry ice creams, the (UOFP) union of ferry personel decided it was time to put ourselves up for corporate buy out. Greed is not a four letter word. Looking alot like Nascar race car drivers with our snickers, crocks, smart wool, New Balance, Old Town, and LL Bean logo designed outfits, we decided to leave well enough alone. We will continue to keep our dungarees, t-shirts, sneakers and ball caps as our official uniform mostly because all the moose, deer, raptors, ravens and feathered friends would not recognize us. Oh well! That's life in the slow lane! Take Care, Steve the canoe guy

Images

If you trick that canoe out with corporate logos, I'll hop in just for the photo op.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
    <snip>
    Steve, u have way too much time on your hands.

I applaud u for your sense of humor.

Btw, i appreciated the ride in '96.

Steve, are you drunk this early in the evening?!?

Great ideas though. Sign me up for the slingshot!
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

i'll continue to do it the safest way by fording early in the morning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Sign me up for the slingshot!
    Thinking of Jester2000 flying across the Kennebec River, I was reminded of something I saw one October day a few years back. Along a country road, near where I live, I came upon a most horrific accident scene involving a witch on a broomstick and an old oak tree.

The crash scene was quite comical, so much as to impair my ability to operate my vehicle. A picture of it would serve to illustrate well the risk associated with slingshotting, but, I'm sure, even this image would still not deter the most hardcore slingshot advocates.

Nice try! I'm still in line for the canoe.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-20-2007 at 00:33.

Only SOBOers should ford.

It would be a shame for a NOBOer to drown after having come so far.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
++ New Posts ++