WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default Coffeemaker for the trail

Here’s my latest idea for a decent cup of trail coffee. It’s lightweight(2 oz.), multi-use, and the clean up is easy.

To make this project you’ll need a Ziploc Twist n’ Loc(size medium, round)and a Ziploc bowl(size extra small).

Throw away the lid for the XS bowl and cut the center out of the medium lid. A razor knife works well.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the XS bowl and snap the lid of the medium bowl over the top like this. Use the pared down bottom of a real drip coffee maker basket(search the thrift stores)to prevent clogging.

Making coffee is easy. Put a 4-cup filter and your favorite coffee in the bowl/basket, heat water and pour it in. When you’re done throw the grounds in a cathole, a privy, or the woods. Throw the used filter in your trashbag and cleanup is pretty much complete.

Here’s the multi-use part:

-The lid with the basket inserted will still screw on to the medium container enabling you to store a Heineken pot/stove/stand set up inside with room to spare. The various components shown here total out at 4.25 oz. There is room enough for a fuel bottle inside the pot if you wish.

-You can use it as a freezer bag cozy by insulating it with CCF, reflectix, or putting it inside a hat or balaclava.

-If you don’t freezer bag cook, you can use it just like Sgt. Rock’s lemonade jar and eat directly from the bowl.

Coffee addicts unite!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Why not just use a #2 Mellita filter and holder at about 1 ounce - a lot lighter and a whole lot less complicated!
    John Carnahan
    [email protected]

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

You'll get my French Press mug when you pry it from my cold, dead....

...I meant warm, twitchy, shakey...

fingers.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
    Why not just use a #2 Mellita filter and holder at about 1 ounce - a lot lighter and a whole lot less complicated!
    Less complicated how? They both work on gravity.

Lighter? How much does your coffee cup weigh? That figures in the equation.

Can you fit a pot, stove, fuel, and stand inside a Melitta? Then add in the stuff sack or container that you use.

And a #2 Melitta weighs more than an ounce...
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    You'll get my French Press mug when you pry it from my cold, dead....

...I meant warm, twitchy, shakey...

fingers.
    HA!!

Skids---you are on it my friend. Thanks for starting this thread. Coffee is my thang.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: furiously kisses skidsteer on the toes :::

Two medium (4 cup) containers + 1 x-small 'filter basket' = two very happy dinos. The female dino will be especially happy with not having to clean cowboy coffee outta the big pot before cooking breakfast. ::: kisses toes again :::

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    HA!!

Skids---you are on it my friend. Thanks for starting this thread. Coffee is my thang.
    Coffee is a matter of the heart. Passionate, hot, and intensely personal.

The best part of waking up.
    Skids

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    ::: furiously kisses skidsteer on the toes :::

Two medium (4 cup) containers + 1 x-small 'filter basket' = two very happy dinos. The female dino will be especially happy with not having to clean cowboy coffee outta the big pot before cooking breakfast. ::: kisses toes again :::
    De nada.
    Skids

If you need to save ounces, you can't get any lighter than a teaspoon of instant. No filters, no pots, no presses. Just boil a cup of water and toss it the granulated morning goodness in. Save the heavy "fancy coffee" thing for an in-town treat.

Look at it this way: food we might turn our noses up in town tastes heavenly out there. Same with coffee, IMHO.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rufous Sided Towhee View Post
    If you need to save ounces, you can't get any lighter than a teaspoon of instant. No filters, no pots, no presses. Just boil a cup of water and toss it the granulated morning goodness in. Save the heavy "fancy coffee" thing for an in-town treat.

Look at it this way: food we might turn our noses up in town tastes heavenly out there. Same with coffee, IMHO.
    BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

It's a DIY thing. Sometimes things are better when you make it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greentick18d View Post
    BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why go without one's favorite coffee while on a trail? Nice post skidsteer. I agree with you G18.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Ummmm, not to point out the obvious, but why not use the "tea style" coffee bags?
    I think about 20 of these weigh in at less than 4 oz and if you really wanna get sick in the head you can reuse them if you like your coffee weak.

Personally, I like the strong stuff, the bags have worked out great. A little bulkier than coffee grounds alone, but if you add in the space of the filters + basket it is smaller...
    As some would say, just my 0.02$

Cheers and happy drinking!

Images

Skids, I had a thought last night - wonder if one of those permanent coffee filters would fit a ziplock twist n lock cup? If so, the top would not have to be cut and could be used for rehydration while hiking, storage, etc. The X-small one cup with a hole would be unnecessary and there would be no paper filters to deal with.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 02-06-2007 at 09:25. Reason: bad link

Images

Skids, I had a thought last night - wonder if one of those permanent coffee filters would fit a ziplock twist n lock cup? If so, the top would not have to be cut and could be used for rehydration while hiking, storage, etc. The X-small one cup with a hole would be unnecessary and there would be no paper filters to deal with.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure you could find one that fits or modify it to fit. Personally, I dislike cleaning the mesh from a reusable filter or coffee press which is part of the inspiration for this gadget.

To me it seems easier to throw out the grounds and pack out the filter in a trash bag. It's all good when it comes to coffee, though.
    Skids

on my thru I stopped liking coffee for a little bit, which was a shock. But later I got my tastes back. maybe they just don't brew right in the south?

Images

Learn to "brew" coffee: Boil water, then add 1 rounded teaspoon of grounds per cup of water, and 1 extra "for the pot", i.e. if pot holds 4 cups, 5 spoons of coffee. After adding grounds, stir 1-2 times to prevent foaming and allow to boil for another 5 minutes (longer/shorter with practice depending on how strong you want it.) Remove from stove, let settle for 2-3 minutes then pour to cup. Coffee will be cloudier, but should not have grounds in it (mine never does, practice gets you there), but will be far more flavorful than even drip coffee.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

::: furiously kisses skidsteer on the toes ::: The female dino will be especially happy with not having to clean cowboy coffee outta the big pot before cooking breakfast. ::: kisses toes again :::
    You see what you went and did Amigo, I would bet she would be willing to include a homemade light blue silnylon kitchen apron to go along with her appreciation.

I would bet the mandino would be willing to swallow the grounds from his cowboy coffee than to have it replaced by such, hmm such, uhh such, having it replaced with something else.

For breakfast I have a handfull of chocolate covered expresso beans and a hot cup of water to wash em down. Now thats coffee. (just kidding, don't drink coffee)

We shave the grams off our stoves to make room for other amenities we are a strange lot!!!!

Images

::: bites zelph on the finger holding his tin snips :::

Images

Word UP!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++